ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,289

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#401 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:00 pm

Klomp wrote:If a Towns trade were to go down, what are the best options...

-Atlanta is one of them that comes to mind, as they have their own question marks. They have guard depth which is what we could be looking for.
-I think New Orleans is one that not enough people talk about. They just have such a good collection of both prospects and veterans that would be appealing. And Towns would give them size but wouldn't clog Zion's driving lanes.
-I think we have to bring up the New York markets, because we're in a position where we could try to appease Towns on the way out. A Knicks or Nets offer would likely have to be picks heavy (approaching what we gave for Gobert), because they just don't have the pieces.

It feels like we're always a step late with Towns possible trades.

Quickley was the centerpiece from NYK.

Would SAC have taken him instead of Sabonis for Haliburton?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#402 » by Neeva » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:25 pm

I am starting to think Haliburton and quickley are NOT good backcourt partners for Ant in the long run because their defense is truly atrocious, especially Haliburton. A lot of Indiana fans are not happy with his current play and how his hype will make them pay him an absurd contract.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,061

Post#403 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 pm

Neeva wrote:I am starting to think Haliburton and quickley are NOT good backcourt partners for Ant in the long run because their defense is truly atrocious, especially Haliburton. A lot of Indiana fans are not happy with his current play and how his hype will make them pay him an absurd contract.

The question of Haliburton's defense is 100% a valid concern. I would like to find a younger version of Jrue Holiday to put next to him. I'm honestly not sure if that player is in the league. I think Jalen Suggs is in that vein somewhat, and that and his Minnesota roots makes him a popular topic for this thread.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#404 » by shangrila » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:01 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
shangrila wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:I do not think that trading KAT is the way to go. Let's say KAT is traded and then Rudy retires in three years. Then what? Are you sure we got a decent return for KAT? Did we get a big man to replace Rudy? If we are wanting to maximize Ant, trade Rudy. If everyone is worried about payroll, trade them all and start over again and enjoy another 20 years of inept Minnesota basketball.

As far as I am concerned, the only trades the Wolves need to be thinking about are those that improve the fringes. We have a great core and should be able to sustain it for the next 5-7 years. If I owned this team, I'm sure the revenue made from multiple championships will off set the tax the team has to pay.

Are you willing to bet on KAT's health? Remember, he hasn't played a full season since his 3rd year and has only played over 70 games twice in the last 6 years.

If you want to argue that he's worth his contract (I don't think he is), is he still worth it if he's playing 50-60 games?

Of course I'm willing to bet on his health. So are the Timberwolves, apparently.
TBH, I have a hard time justifying anyone's contract. Are any of these guys really worth the money they are getting paid? The question for the future is, after this playoff run, is it worth it to keep them together and maximize Ant's championship window?

So are you confident that Towns will play a full season of games again? Or even 70 games?

Regarding keeping them together...honestly, who knows? You say "after this playoff run" like we don't have a legitimate chance of being swept and any talk of championship windows really, really needs to end until we at least win a series in the playoffs.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,289

Post#405 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:03 pm

Neeva wrote:I am starting to think Haliburton and quickley are NOT good backcourt partners for Ant in the long run because their defense is truly atrocious, especially Haliburton. A lot of Indiana fans are not happy with his current play and how his hype will make them pay him an absurd contract.

Quickley is a very good defender that looks much worse on Toronto because they traded away all their defensive players.

The Knicks were a way better defensive team with IQ on the floor than off.

2023-24:
On Court: Opp eFG%:.531, ORtg: 111.6
Off Court: Opp eFG%:.546, ORtg: 114.5

2022-23:
On Court: Opp eFG%: .508, ORtg: 110.2
Off Court: Opp eFG%: .576, ORtg: 122.5

Just Google "Immanuel Quickley defense" and you'll find a crazy amount of good articles about it.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 213

Post#406 » by frankenwolf » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:43 pm

shangrila wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:
shangrila wrote:Are you willing to bet on KAT's health? Remember, he hasn't played a full season since his 3rd year and has only played over 70 games twice in the last 6 years.

If you want to argue that he's worth his contract (I don't think he is), is he still worth it if he's playing 50-60 games?

Of course I'm willing to bet on his health. So are the Timberwolves, apparently.
TBH, I have a hard time justifying anyone's contract. Are any of these guys really worth the money they are getting paid? The question for the future is, after this playoff run, is it worth it to keep them together and maximize Ant's championship window?

So are you confident that Towns will play a full season of games again? Or even 70 games?

Regarding keeping them together...honestly, who knows? You say "after this playoff run" like we don't have a legitimate chance of being swept and any talk of championship windows really, really needs to end until we at least win a series in the playoffs.

Yes

Do you honestly believe that the Wolves will be swept in any of the playoff series they participate in?
Have you ready my tag line? We are the champs!!
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,725

Post#407 » by minimus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:25 am

Who from players mentioned here would give us most chances to win PHO series? I mean if we replace Towns with ... would it be an upgrade for us in playoffs? I definitely see Suggs+Isaac making KD, Booker, Beal life hell. And I definitely see someone like Duncan Robinson, Cam Johnson using Gobert screens to hit multiple threes. I can see Dejonte Murray being better defender than Conley/McLaughlin against Beal, Allen and I can definitely see Murray completely lost in offense as starting PG.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 372

Post#408 » by Guest84 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 pm

If we had to or if management decided to break up the team this offseason, could we get a player like Brandon Miller (CHA) back in a deal for Towns, Jaden, etc? (Not necessarily in the same deal)

We desperately need another young shot creator to pair with Ant.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#409 » by Note30 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

Guest84 wrote:If we had to or if management decided to break up the team this offseason, could we get a player like Brandon Miller (CHA) back in a deal for Towns, Jade, etc? (Not necessarily in the same deal)

No way CHA trades Miller after that second half of the season.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#410 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:22 pm

Guest84 wrote:If we had to or if management decided to break up the team this offseason, could we get a player like Brandon Miller (CHA) back in a deal for Towns, Jaden, etc? (Not necessarily in the same deal)

Honestly, there might be a better chance that they trade Ball.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#411 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 am

Worth noting on Atlanta: They have incentive to stay competitive and go in for another star player...

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM

Post#412 » by minimus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:16 pm

BRO IN: Towns, Moore, Minott
BRO OUT: Bridges, Clowney, DFS

Why for ATL: get a superstar, hometown kid

SAC IN: DFS
SAC OUT: Huerter

Why for SAC: get a versatile defensive comboforward

MIN IN: Bridges, Huerter, Clowney
MIN OUT: Towns, Moore, Minott

Why for MIN: get A LOT of shooting around Gobert and Edwards

Gobert/Reid/Clowney
Reid/McDaniels/Miller
Bridges/McDaniels/Clarke
Edwards/Huerter/NAW
Conley/NAW/Morris
minimus
RealGM

Post#413 » by minimus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 pm

UTA IN: Young
UTA OUT: Clarkson, Markannen

Why for UTA: get a superstar PG

ATL IN: Towns, Moore, Minott
ATL OUT: Young

Why for ATL: rebuild around Towns+Johnson+Murray

MIN IN: Clarkson, Markannen

Gobert/Reid/???
Markannen/???/Miller
McDaniels/???/Clarke
Edwards/NAW/Clarkson
Conley/Clarkson/Morris
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,552

Post#414 » by TimberKat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 pm

minimus wrote:UTA IN: Young
UTA OUT: Clarkson, Markannen

Why for UTA: get a superstar PG

ATL IN: Towns, Moore, Minott
ATL OUT: Young

Why for ATL: rebuild around Towns+Johnson+Murray

MIN IN: Clarkson, Markannen

Gobert/Reid/???
Markannen/???/Miller
McDaniels/???/Clarke
Edwards/NAW/Clarkson
Conley/Clarkson/Morris

If we get someone a little younger than Clarkson and plus a 1st. I like Markannen since he was in Cleveland. Too bad we traded him to Chicago and not sure why Chicago didn't want him.
minimus
RealGM

Post#415 » by minimus » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 pm

Towns, Minott, Moore for B.Miller, Micic, Tre Mann, Bertans, 2026, 2027 CHA FRPs, 2027 DAL FRP.

Re-route Micic, Tre Mann, 2027 CHA FRP, 2027 DAL FRP to DET for Amen Thompson

Gobert/Reid/???
B.Miller/L.Miller/Bertans
McDaniels/B.Miller/Thompson
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Thompson/Morris

Bertans has expiring 17mil contract after 2025, when we should resign both Reid and NAW.

The idea for next season is too replace Anderson perimeter defense and passing with Thompson, developing Amen as unorthodox PG of future, letting him run second unit with Reid as fiveout stretch 5 big. Reid-B.Miller-McDaniels/Edwards-NAW-Thompson might be very dangerous in open court and really special in defense.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#416 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:34 pm

I feel so completely dirty for this, but one thing that popped into my mind over the last two days is that using Nickeil could be a way for us to get a little more value out of another team in a potential Towns trade. His small contract doesn't completely kill the chance of salary-matching, and his playoff performances would have to be appealing for another team. Considering our current cap situation, paying him will become very difficult unless Finch is penciling him in as the other starting guard after Conley is done.

minimus
RealGM

Post#417 » by minimus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:44 pm

Klomp wrote:I feel so completely dirty for this, but one thing that popped into my mind over the last two days is that using Nickeil could be a way for us to get a little more value out of another team in a potential Towns trade. His small contract doesn't completely kill the chance of salary-matching, and his playoff performances would have to be appealing for another team. Considering our current cap situation, paying him will become very difficult unless Finch is penciling him in as the other starting guard after Conley is done.

No.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#418 » by Neeva » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:20 am

Klomp wrote:I feel so completely dirty for this, but one thing that popped into my mind over the last two days is that using Nickeil could be a way for us to get a little more value out of another team in a potential Towns trade. His small contract doesn't completely kill the chance of salary-matching, and his playoff performances would have to be appealing for another team. Considering our current cap situation, paying him will become very difficult unless Finch is penciling him in as the other starting guard after Conley is done.

I don’t it’s better than losing him for nothing but it would have to be for a real diffference maker that will pair up seamlessly with Ant(and Rudy) and I can’t really think of one?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves