ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#341 » by frankenwolf » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:57 pm

shangrila wrote:(ironic that you're all on the trade Towns train now though)

Nope, not me. Never have been and will be disappointed if it happens
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,794

Post#342 » by shrink » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:00 pm

shangrila wrote:(ironic that you're all on the trade Towns train now though).

I am definitely not on that train.

The post you’re quoting was pointing out how hard it would be to find a Towns trade that actually moved the team forward in terms of our win-now construction, our deep bench, and our bigs style of play.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#343 » by shangrila » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:21 pm

shrink wrote:

The post you’re quoting was pointing out how hard it would be to find a Towns trade that actually moved the team forward in terms of our win-now construction, our deep bench, and our bigs style of play.

Certainly seems like you're more open to it now than you were back then. And I'm seeing a few more posters that were adamantly against trading Towns 6 months ago coming around aside from yourself.

I won't push it though.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#344 » by shangrila » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:22 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
shangrila wrote:(ironic that you're all on the trade Towns train now though)

Nope, not me. Never have been and will be disappointed if it happens

Ok then.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#345 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:35 pm

Two things will shape our willingness to move Karl and Karl’s market value.

1. How deep we go in the playoffs.

2. How well Karl plays in the playoffs.

If Karl sucks we could be selling low. If Karl is awesome maybe we sell high. If Karl and Ant lead us to a chip, then other teams can go **** themselves because we keep him.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#346 » by minimus » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:42 am

Before 2024 draft:

ATL IN: Towns, Moore
ATL OUT: Hunter, Murray, 2024 ATL FRP

Why for ATL: rebuild around Towns+Johnson+Young

ORL IN: Murray
ORL OUT: Isaac, 2025 ORL FRP, 2026 ORL FRP

Why for ORL: get a PG

MIN IN: Hunter, Isaac, 2024 ATL FRP, 2025 ORL FRP, 2026 ORL FRP
MIN OUT: Towns, Moore

Why for MIN: improve depth on wings, complete transformation into four-out scheme around Gobert, keep same core, keep same defensive minded identity. Create some room to re-sign NAW, Reid after 2024-25. Next steps: re-sign Morris, McLaughlin, Anderson.

Gobert/Reid/???
Anderson/Isaac/Miller
McDaniels/Hunter/Minott
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

Use draft picks to draft future replacement of Gobert, Conley
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,283

Post#347 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:41 pm

minimus wrote:Before 2024 draft:

Why for MIN: improve depth on wings, complete transformation into four-out scheme around Gobert, keep same core, keep same defensive minded identity. Create some room to re-sign NAW, Reid after 2024-25. Next steps: re-sign Morris, McLaughlin, Anderson.

Gobert/Reid/???
Anderson/Isaac/Miller
McDaniels/Hunter/Minott
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

I'd leave Orlando out of the deal completely. Much better trade for us.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,205

Post#348 » by Neeva » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:04 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
minimus wrote:Before 2024 draft:

Gobert/Reid/???
Anderson/Isaac/Miller
McDaniels/Hunter/Minott
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

I'd leave Orlando out of the deal completely. Much better trade for us.

Except it’s missing a few first round picks coming to the wolves. Hunter on that contract is filler/neutral value. Murray and one first is not enough for Kat. murray has played much better without Trae Young but one lottery pick in a weak draft is not enough to make up the value for Kat.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,004

Post#349 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:10 pm

shangrila wrote:
shrink wrote:

Certainly seems like you're more open to it now than you were back then. And I'm seeing a few more posters that were adamantly against trading Towns 6 months ago coming around aside from yourself.

I won't push it though.

As for me, I can't say for certain whether I'd be for it or against it. But I personally think it's foolish to put blinders on and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that it could occur. There are constraints that franchises need to work within, and teams only have so many assets to barter with.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:20 pm

One random idea that just came to mind....

When the Timberwolves extended Mike Conley, it lined up his contract with Rudy Gobert. While it's easy to assume that it locks in both players as Timberwolves, a thought came to me wondering if sending them both out in a package would exponentially increase their trade value compared to what their standalone values might be.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#351 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:42 pm

Klomp wrote:One random idea that just came to mind....

When the Timberwolves extended Mike Conley, it lined up his contract with Rudy Gobert. While it's easy to assume that it locks in both players as Timberwolves, a thought came to me wondering if sending them both out in a package would exponentially increase their trade value compared to what their standalone values might be.

Say more about the expected return?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:51 pm

winforlose wrote:

Positionally, I think PG should still be the target. I don't have a good gauge personally on where that value would fall though. But I think it's worth pointing out how underwhelming Atlanta has been this season, and they have a coach who is familiar with Conley and Gobert, a relative need for an interior presence, and a couple of options at PG that would seemingly fit what Minnesota would be looking for. Just looking at financials, Gobert and Conley for Murray and Capela would work.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#353 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:31 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Positionally, I think PG should still be the target. I don't have a good gauge personally on where that value would fall though. But I think it's worth pointing out how underwhelming Atlanta has been this season, and they have a coach who is familiar with Conley and Gobert, a relative need for an interior presence, and a couple of options at PG that would seemingly fit what Minnesota would be looking for. Just looking at financials, Gobert and Conley for Murray and Capela would work.

Would we really give up Gobert and Mike for Murray and Capela? Gobert is miles beyond Murray in value. Mike this year is easily equal to Capela. Plus Mike is on a team friendly deal and was probably promised that he wouldn’t be moved. Remember, Mike talked about his family being settled and happy in Minnesota. He doesn’t want to move them again or be away from them. I would think a trade like that would need to be a massive overpay and involve Young and a promising young player like Bufkin or Okongwu.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,283

Post#354 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:09 pm

Please no to Trae Young.

He refuses (or is incapable) to defend, he’s a good, but not elite shooter. He’s a turnover machine and Atlanta has been way better without him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#355 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:59 pm

I think Karl for Cade would be an intriguing discussion. I think Cade has a good skillset to fit alongside Ant. I know he's got questions around his game and injuries, but that's the only reason he might be potentially available. Detroit would be an easy pick for a franchise that would want to get on a fast-track. They badly need 3-point shooting and I think Towns would get along well with Monty.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,794

Post#356 » by shrink » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:47 am

Klomp wrote:As for me, I can't say for certain whether I'd be for it or against it. But I personally think it's foolish to put blinders on and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that it could occur. There are constraints that franchises need to work within, and teams only have so many assets to barter with.

And what is your Ant trade?

I agree, no trade is impossible, but for any transaction (not just the NBA) to make sense for both sides, the value of what each side gets must be worth more to them than the team trading him away. I posted why a Towns trade would be difficult for MIN, because Towns has so many advantages to the Wolves that wouldn’t be as much a benefit to other teams.

So yes, in an academic sense, both Ant and Towns are capable of being traded. But I don’t see a realistic trade for either that furthers MIN’s objectives.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,205

Post#357 » by Neeva » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:00 am

Klomp wrote:I think Karl for Cade would be an intriguing discussion. I think Cade has a good skillset to fit alongside Ant. I know he's got questions around his game and injuries, but that's the only reason he might be potentially available. Detroit would be an easy pick for a franchise that would want to get on a fast-track. They badly need 3-point shooting and I think Towns would get along well with Monty.

If Detriot wants to start winning they won’t trade Cade, since they would want to pair him with Kat and Ausar. So they probably will try to give us Ivey, their top 5 pick this year, future picks/swaps and filler.

Not sure i’d want that package since we are trying to win a title but maybe Connelly really believes in Nikola Topic or Sarr?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:37 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:As for me, I can't say for certain whether I'd be for it or against it. But I personally think it's foolish to put blinders on and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that it could occur. There are constraints that franchises need to work within, and teams only have so many assets to barter with.

And what is your Ant trade?

I agree, no trade is impossible, but for any transaction (not just the NBA) to make sense for both sides, the value of what each side gets must be worth more to them than the team trading him away. I posted why a Towns trade would be difficult for MIN, because Towns has so many advantages to the Wolves that wouldn’t be as much a benefit to other teams.

So yes, in an academic sense, both Ant and Towns are capable of being traded. But I don’t see a realistic trade for either that furthers MIN’s objectives.

To play along, Ant is an extremely limited list. I think I would probably put Jokic on it, due to his bond with both Connelly and Finch. Wembanyama is probably on it, for pretty obvious reasons. I'm honestly not sure it would go any farther than that.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:42 pm

Neeva wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think Karl for Cade would be an intriguing discussion. I think Cade has a good skillset to fit alongside Ant. I know he's got questions around his game and injuries, but that's the only reason he might be potentially available. Detroit would be an easy pick for a franchise that would want to get on a fast-track. They badly need 3-point shooting and I think Towns would get along well with Monty.

If Detriot wants to start winning they won’t trade Cade, since they would want to pair him with Kat and Ausar. So they probably will try to give us Ivey, their top 5 pick this year, future picks/swaps and filler.

Not sure i’d want that package since we are trying to win a title but maybe Connelly really believes in Nikola Topic or Sarr?

I think the discussion of Cade revolves around his upcoming extension for a currently young roster like Detroit. Would they want to pay both KAT's contract and give a rookie extension to Cade when Cade still has a few questions? Maybe they would decide to go full-Houston, but I think the jury's still out on whether going that far in was the correct money management for the Rockets.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#360 » by minimus » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:

I think the discussion of Cade revolves around his upcoming extension for a currently young roster like Detroit. Would they want to pay both KAT's contract and give a rookie extension to Cade when Cade still has a few questions? Maybe they would decide to go full-Houston, but I think the jury's still out on whether going that far in was the correct money management for the Rockets.

I still believe that Towns makes most sense as stretch 5 in fiveout next to elite slasher (ether PG, comboguard or SG). I dont like Towns-Young possible fit, but Towns-Shai IMO would have a special chemistry. Is Cade a slasher? Or maybe he is a pnr maestro?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves