ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#201 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:06 am

shrink wrote:So now that the deadline is behind us, this thread will get pretty quiet for a few months, so let me throw out some craziness.

Last month, there were some rumors that LeBron wants to play with Bronny. Suppose that’s true, suppose Bronny enters the draft, and with the Lakers having the #57 pick, suppose Tim Connelly uses the #37 on him.

1. I have a hard time seeing LeBron leaving the Lakers. What trade offer would you accept from LA for Bronny?

2. If LeBron was willing to leave the Lakers, coming to MIN for a chance to add a sixth ring (tying Jordan) would be far more likely than going to a non-contender. MIN has no cap space, but they might be able to trade for LeBron before they sign Conley and go over the second apron. The obvious trade is Towns for LeBron. Would you do it? Would LAL, if that’s what LeBron wanted?

I draft Bronny with the 29th pick. I dare LBJ to honor his promise and play for the minimum.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#202 » by andyhop » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:11 am

shrink wrote:So now that the deadline is behind us, this thread will get pretty quiet for a few months, so let me throw out some craziness.

Last month, there were some rumors that LeBron wants to play with Bronny. Suppose that’s true, suppose Bronny enters the draft, and with the Lakers having the #57 pick, suppose Tim Connelly uses the #37 on him.

1. I have a hard time seeing LeBron leaving the Lakers. What trade offer would you accept from LA for Bronny?

2. If LeBron was willing to leave the Lakers, coming to MIN for a chance to add a sixth ring (tying Jordan) would be far more likely than going to a non-contender. MIN has no cap space, but they might be able to trade for LeBron before they sign Conley and go over the second apron. The obvious trade is Towns for LeBron. Would you do it? Would LAL, if that’s what LeBron wanted?

If he really wanted to try and win another ring and play with Bronny he could opt out of his player option and sign for the minimum no need for a trade.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,016

Post#203 » by Domejandro » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:54 am

winforlose wrote:

I draft Bronny with the 29th pick. I dare LBJ to honor his promise and play for the minimum.

If Bronny James is in the Draft, he is functionally a free agent. He is not draftable, it would be negotiated well ahead of time by all parties involved. Drafting Bronny to hold LeBron James hostage is a great way to never get another free-agent to sign in Minnesota again, it would be a PR disaster (especially since Bronny is an undrafted level player, currently).
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#204 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:58 am

Bronny will sign with the LAkers. No doubt LBJ will ended his career there.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#205 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:58 pm

Domejandro wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If Bronny James is in the Draft, he is functionally a free agent. He is not draftable, it would be negotiated well ahead of time by all parties involved. Drafting Bronny to hold LeBron James hostage is a great way to never get another free-agent to sign in Minnesota again, it would be a PR disaster (especially since Bronny is an undrafted level player, currently).

That is one way to look at it. Another is LBJ made the promise to get a team to draft him in the first round. It was a bribe. That is why I am saying take him in the first. Give him his 4 year deal, and promise LBJ if he signs with us we will honor both options and Bronny gets four years on a good team to develop. It isn’t about holding him hostage at all. It is about giving Lebron exactly what he asked for, his son going in the first round.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#206 » by Note30 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:53 pm

LAL would have no leverage we'd have a better time trading a S&T for Conley or Anderson before needing to trade Towns.

I think if we're make a deep run in the playoffs it's very possible his ring chasing ass comes here.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,508

Post#207 » by TimberKat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:55 pm

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
winforlose wrote:

That is one way to look at it. Another is LBJ made the promise to get a team to draft him in the first round. It was a bribe. That is why I am saying take him in the first. Give him his 4 year deal, and promise LBJ if he signs with us we will honor both options and Bronny gets four years on a good team to develop. It isn’t about holding him hostage at all. It is about giving Lebron exactly what he asked for, his son going in the first round.

I think NOP owns the rights to LAL's 2024 1st. If NOP exercises the right, LAL would look for a 1st round picks trade which Wolves could be a partner.

Bronny also may not come out this year

LBJ could go to Heat or Cleveland as free agent

Replace JMcD with LBJ is obviously great but I don't see that as something LBJ would consider. There is also many teams with 1st round picks ahead of us (if we end up #1 seed). OKC is just as good a destination as Min.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#208 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:17 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:If Bronny James is in the Draft, he is functionally a free agent. He is not draftable, it would be negotiated well ahead of time by all parties involved. Drafting Bronny to hold LeBron James hostage is a great way to never get another free-agent to sign in Minnesota again, it would be a PR disaster (especially since Bronny is an undrafted level player, currently).

I think NOP owns the rights to LAL's 2024 1st. If NOP exercises the right, LAL would look for a 1st round picks trade which Wolves could be a partner.

Replace JMcD with LBJ is obviously great but I don't see that as something LBJ would consider. There is also many teams with 1st round picks ahead of us (if we end up #1 seed). OKC is just as good a destination as Min.

If Bronny is projected to be an undrafted, how many teams are gonna take him in the first round? 1 cheap year of LBJ, maybe even 2 (at age 41?) would cost them a legit player they could try to develop. We are one of a few teams who is so stacked for the next 2 years we could afford it. That said, there is no guarantee (contractual or otherwise,) that LBJ keeps his word and plays on a minimum to play with Bronny. That is a lot of risk for any team to take on.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#209 » by TimberKat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:35 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If Bronny is projected to be an undrafted, how many teams are gonna take him in the first round? 1 cheap year of LBJ, maybe even 2 (at age 41?) would cost them a legit player they could try to develop. We are one of a few teams who is so stacked for the next 2 years we could afford it. That said, there is no guarantee (contractual or otherwise,) that LBJ keeps his word and plays on a minimum to play with Bronny. That is a lot of risk for any team to take on.

If you have a #11 or below 1st round pick in 2024, would you trade that for LBJ with vet minimum salary straight up? I think all GM will do it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#210 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:43 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I think NOP owns the rights to LAL's 2024 1st. If NOP exercises the right, LAL would look for a 1st round picks trade which Wolves could be a partner.

If you have a #11 or below 1st round pick in 2024, would you trade that for LBJ with vet minimum salary straight up? I think all GM will do it.

That isn’t what you’re getting though. You are getting a years old promise that LBJ will walk away from 51 million or more to come over an play for what 3 to 4 million. There is no binding contract, there is no guarantee LBJ won’t leverage the Lakers to simply overpay for Bronny, ect… TLDR: you don’t get LBJ with Bronny, you get the possibility of LBJ with Bronny.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#211 » by TimberKat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:17 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

That isn’t what you’re getting though. You are getting a years old promise that LBJ will walk away from 51 million or more to come over an play for what 3 to 4 million. There is no binding contract, there is no guarantee LBJ won’t leverage the Lakers to simply overpay for Bronny, ect… TLDR: you don’t get LBJ with Bronny, you get the possibility of LBJ with Bronny.

Won't you talk to LBJ or his agent before you draft Bronny? After that, it's no difference if you traded for Harden and he wants out.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#212 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:25 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:If you have a #11 or below 1st round pick in 2024, would you trade that for LBJ with vet minimum salary straight up? I think all GM will do it.

Won't you talk to LBJ or his agent before you draft Bronny? After that, it's no difference if you traded for Harden and he wants out.

I have no idea about the tampering rules. If LBJ opts out ahead of the draft (not sure of the timing on that,) then he can negotiate with teams. His promise was a dumb one because now teams could draft Bronny to manipulate Lebron. Would they, I don’t know. What I do know, is I would gladly trade multiple seconds to trade up and take Bronny if it meant LBJ was a minimum player on this team next year. Can you even imagine how damn good we would be?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,699

Post#213 » by shrink » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:34 pm

Remember the Cavs burning their LeBron jerseys when he left for Miami as a free agent?

At this point in his career, LeBron cares about his legacy, soI doubt he would leave the Lakers. But he clearly wouldn’t leave them and sign for a vet min deal. He’d opt in, so the Lakers would get something back in trade when he left.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#214 » by jpatrick » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:38 pm

I can’t imagine Bronny would come out this year. I know LBJ has talked about wanting to play with his son, but Bronny has shown he’s not even fit to be a 15th man at this point. Does he want to perform poorly in the G-League or progress at USC? Does Lebron want his son to become a nepotism joke?

Plus, does Bronny need a degree for financial reasons? No. But people go to college for many reasons. And Bronny will be able to improve and carve out minutes on that USC team, especially after Collier moves on.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#215 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:41 pm

jpatrick wrote:I can’t imagine Bronny would come out this year. I know LBJ has talked about wanting to play with his son, but Bronny has shown he’s not even fit to be a 15th man at this point. Does he want to perform poorly in the G-League or progress at USC? Does Lebron want his son to become a nepotism joke?

Plus, does Bronny need a degree for financial reasons? No. But people go to college for many reasons. And Bronny will be able to improve and carve out minutes on that USC team, especially after Collier moves on.

A degree is something you can finish anytime. All his credits transfer. If he comes out after his father retires, he will average less than a million in the G or half the minimum as a two way best case. If he comes out now, he could make 10 million on nepotism + his father’s coattails. Given the choice would you rather be a below average college ball player then a career G league guy, or make 10 million and have a chance in the NBA?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#216 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 pm

LeBron might like the idea of going to whatever team his kid is on.

LeBron's wife, on the other hand...
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#217 » by TimberKat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:08 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I have no idea about the tampering rules. If LBJ opts out ahead of the draft (not sure of the timing on that,) then he can negotiate with teams. His promise was a dumb one because now teams could draft Bronny to manipulate Lebron. Would they, I don’t know. What I do know, is I would gladly trade multiple seconds to trade up and take Bronny if it meant LBJ was a minimum player on this team next year. Can you even imagine how damn good we would be?

I am sure teams will know LBJ's intention thru All Star games or LBJ's second cousin. I love to see it happen but it's not going to happen. As I mentioned earlier, most likely would be LAL drafts Bronny with their own pick or they trade for a 1st pick, then is MIA, GSW, CLE, NYK, ..., SAS, OKC, MIN and POR.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#218 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Won't you talk to LBJ or his agent before you draft Bronny? After that, it's no difference if you traded for Harden and he wants out.

I am sure teams will know LBJ's intention thru All Star games or LBJ's second cousin. I love to see it happen but it's not going to happen. As I mentioned earlier, most likely would be LAL drafts Bronny with their own pick or they trade for a 1st pick, then is MIA, GSW, CLE, NYK, ..., SAS, OKC, MIN and POR.

Let’s assume you are right that the camp does a backdoor negotiation. Where does LBJ want Bronny to be? Does he want him on the Lakers, GSW, ect… because LBJ has 2 or 3 years left at most. At any time he could go down and that is all she wrote for him. We could also see him slow down and lose even more of his game. My point is this is more long term for Bronny than for him. He also might see the light and want to leave LAL if they lose in the play in. I doubt he comes here, I just hope he goes East if he doesn’t.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#219 » by jpatrick » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:18 pm

winforlose wrote:
jpatrick wrote:I can’t imagine Bronny would come out this year. I know LBJ has talked about wanting to play with his son, but Bronny has shown he’s not even fit to be a 15th man at this point. Does he want to perform poorly in the G-League or progress at USC? Does Lebron want his son to become a nepotism joke?

A degree is something you can finish anytime. All his credits transfer. If he comes out after his father retires, he will average less than a million in the G or half the minimum as a two way best case. If he comes out now, he could make 10 million on nepotism + his father’s coattails. Given the choice would you rather be a below average college ball player then a career G league guy, or make 10 million and have a chance in the NBA?

I suspect the experience of going to college is not the same as an adult not playing basketball than being a teen/early 20 something playing D1 ball.

I agree with you about the money. I just don’t know if that’s his priority. He’s already made money just be Bronny. Plus Lebron is a billionaire. Just depends on what he wants. Who knows if he actually wants to play with Lebron. Most celebrity kids want to carve their own path, not be a nepotism joke.

Either way. I’m sure if he does declare, Rich Paul will do all they can do to steer him to a preferred destination.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#220 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:31 pm

jpatrick wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I suspect the experience of going to college is not the same as an adult not playing basketball than being a teen/early 20 something playing D1 ball.

I agree with you about the money. I just don’t know if that’s his priority. He’s already made money just be Bronny. Plus Lebron is a billionaire. Just depends on what he wants. Who knows if he actually wants to play with Lebron. Most celebrity kids want to carve their own path, not be a nepotism joke.

Either way. I’m sure if he does declare, Rich Paul will do all they can do to steer him to a preferred destination.

His dad made him a joke the moment he promised to take a minimum and play for whatever team drafts him. From that moment onward no matter where he is picked, no one will ever believe he got there on his own merit. Worse, if his father doesn’t live up to the deal, the team could take it out on Bronny. It was a selfish, stupid, ridiculous move by LBJ and his son is forever the victim of it.

The above being true, if Bronny wants a shot in the NBA it is probably gonna be while his dad is playing. He could improve and build a career, (even as a backup,) or flame out with enough money to live comfortably while pursuing any career he wants (including amateur basketball in the G league.)

Finally, which is better, relying on his father’s fortune, or exploiting his connections to get a job paying 10 million plus. Granted half of that will go to taxes and his team (agent, lawyer, ect..) But 5 million for four years work is probably the best he could possibly do at his current age. I gotta believe he will want that, no matter how it happens. 1.25 million after tax per year is an insane amount of money for any kid in their earlier 20s.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves