ImageImageImage

Game 54: Minnesota Timberwolves @ Portland T-Blazers (9 CST)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Re: Game 54: Minnesota Timberwolves @ Portland T-Blazers (9 CST) 

Post#81 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:17 am

Garza is an offensive phenomenon.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 146

Post#82 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:18 am

They played a good game. Unfortunately was a matter of time before the better team flexed.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,452

Post#83 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:20 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:They played a good game. Unfortunately was a matter of time before the better team flexed.

Unfortunately for them. Fortunately for us ;)
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#84 » by Nick K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:25 am

It's amazing how well Kat and Ant get along. Ant recently made the comment "Kat's the best player on the team" matter of factly. Just seeing them have fun on the bench. Just great to see no egos.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#85 » by Nick K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:25 am

AAAARRRROOOOOO!!!
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,406

Post#86 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:27 am

Trading away NAW is like a Californian farmer in the 1850's selling a clump of dirt with some good potatoes in it not realizing there was a huge chunk of gold right in the middle. What a fleece! Arrrrooooo!!!!
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#87 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:28 am

Nick K wrote:It's amazing how well Kat and Ant get along. Ant recently made the comment "Kat's the best player on the team" matter of factly. Just seeing them have fun on the bench. Just great to see no egos.

Karl has been good to him since day one. He could have easily demanded to be the focal point of the offense. But for years he has deferred to Ant to let him develop. Both seem like good and genial men and teammates. I would be more surprised if they didn’t get along.

P.S. I know Ant has had his controversies. My only answer to that is his age and immaturity.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,493

Post#88 » by TimberKat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:42 am

Morris 0-3 still better than JMcL and Milton.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 875

Post#89 » by Dalvin » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:13 am

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Another 3 game winning streak, they take care of the Blazers again before the All Star Break and they'll rest on a high note!
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#90 » by TwolvesFanRome » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:16 am

Calinks wrote:Trading away NAW is like a Californian farmer in the 1850's selling a clump of dirt with some good potatoes in it not realizing there was a huge chunk of gold right in the middle. What a fleece! Arrrrooooo!!!!

I saw the extended highlights and my first thought was exactly this. How the hell did this happen? TC really did an armed robbery in that damn trade!!!
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
winforlose
General Manager

Post#91 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:16 am

Remember when we couldn’t win both nights of a road/road B2B. Not anymore :)
casteral
Junior
And1: 104

Post#92 » by casteral » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:30 am

Let's win again on Thursday and go into the all star break with some momentum, as well as padding our division record which we may very well need in the end as a tie breaker over OKC or Denver! Great to see Wolves finally stop playing with their food and took care of business in the 4th quarter starting with NAW and his heater... AAAROOOOOOOOO!!!
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#93 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 am

winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:It's amazing how well Kat and Ant get along. Ant recently made the comment "Kat's the best player on the team" matter of factly. Just seeing them have fun on the bench. Just great to see no egos.

Karl has been good to him since day one. He could have easily demanded to be the focal point of the offense. But for years he has deferred to Ant to let him develop. Both seem like good and genial men and teammates. I would be more surprised if they didn’t get along.

P.S. I know Ant has had his controversies. My only answer to that is his age and immaturity.

Bunch of media idiots were acting like Towns was going to have huge issues with Edwards being the man.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#94 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:00 am

Read on Twitter
Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Post#95 » by Folklore » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:41 am

Just watched the game. I knew that Morris wouldn't handle the ball enough for all the low turnover talk to matter. We just need a scorer who knows when to slow things down.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#96 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:45 am

casteral wrote:Let's win again on Thursday and go into the all star break with some momentum, as well as padding our division record which we may very well need in the end as a tie breaker over OKC or Denver! Great to see Wolves finally stop playing with their food and took care of business in the 4th quarter starting with NAW and his heater... AAAROOOOOOOOO!!!

We had fallen a point or two behind and NAW goes off and we're leading by 16. Critical.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#97 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:47 am

Calinks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kendrick you got the legit title contender part right, but we're not standing on business. We're Taking Care of Business. :D
winforlose
General Manager

Post#98 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:57 am

Folklore wrote:Just watched the game. I knew that Morris wouldn't handle the ball enough for all the low turnover talk to matter. We just need a scorer who knows when to slow things down.

This is his 2nd game as a Wolf and the first was the night before. Also he is coming back from a major injury that derailed him for over 43 games. Also, Finch talked about knowing what Monte can do and wanting to try him with different lineups and looks, to paraphrase Finch, “Mixing and matching players and lineups is the fun part.” Again, this is not an exact quote, but it does capture the spirit and intent of the statement. Finch having Morris off ball is using him as a catch and shoot 3 point shooter, often in the corner or occasionally at the elbow. Unfortunately guys have been ignoring him the last two games, even when he is wide open. But since we are still winning and he is still integrating into the team, I think that is fine.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#99 » by shrink » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:13 pm

I shouldn’t complain about a win, but it always frustrates me that at the end of blow out games, when Finch empties the bench, the subs don’t seem to care about playing much defense and score as early in the shot clock as possible, damaging our defensive numbers.

The games was 89-88 with 9:21 left in the game, then we went nuts
It was 113-94 at 3:20. The starters went on a 24-6 run over that 6 minutes.
Both teams empty the benches. In that 3:20 the bench give up 15 points, and the game ends 121-109.

I know that you can get stats that exclude garbage time, but those minutes matter. If these players are ever going to grow on this team, these minutes help them learn what we need, and that means playing defense.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#100 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:10 pm

shrink wrote:I shouldn’t complain about a win, but it always frustrates me that at the end of blow out games, when Finch empties the bench, the subs don’t seem to care about playing much defense and score as early in the shot clock as possible, damaging our defensive numbers.

The games was 89-88 with 9:21 left in the game, then we went nuts
It was 113-94 at 3:20. The starters went on a 24-6 run over that 6 minutes.
Both teams empty the benches. In that 3:20 the bench give up 15 points, and the game ends 121-109.

I know that you can get stats that exclude garbage time, but those minutes matter. If these players are ever going to grow on this team, these minutes help them learn what we need, and that means playing defense.

I agree. But I also want to remind you that KAT sucked at defense for years before he learned. These minutes create video. Finch obviously seems good at film study. I would hope he would take a few minutes for each player and break down what they did right and wrong. Or at least Big Nasty should as he seems to be our defensive coach/coordinator.

I agree that it sucks for the numbers, but other teams waive the white flag/accept the surrender, too. Often sooner than we do. So it all balances out. Plus as you hinted at cleaning the glass is a resource that filters it out for you.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves