ImageImageImage

Off-season 2024

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Re: Off-season 2024 

Post#41 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:34 am

Movics wrote:I thought it was a good rundown of why the new ownership is more than willing to pay luxury tax
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=472nCH-C5F8Jko3_xRlgtA

How do I see more than the picture? I clicked the link, went to Twitter, and nothing happened. There isn’t even a video, it is a picture.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 684

Post#42 » by Movics » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:42 am

winforlose wrote:
Movics wrote:I thought it was a good rundown of why the new ownership is more than willing to pay luxury tax
Read on Twitter

How do I see more than the picture? I clicked the link, went to Twitter, and nothing happened. There isn’t even a video, it is a picture.

Scroll down. It is a “thread” which means there are more tweets from the same person
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
winforlose
General Manager

Post#43 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:54 am

Movics wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scroll down. It is a “thread” which means there are more tweets from the same person

I don’t think it works if you don’t have an account.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 684

Post#44 » by Movics » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:11 am

winforlose wrote:
Movics wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Oh, unfortunately that’s totally possible… here’s the text
Spoiler:
[WolvesClips] Why Minnesota Timberwolves Fans Should Expect Wolves Ownership to Pay $100M+ in Luxury Tax in 2024-25 and 2025-26:

In 2021, Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez agreed to purchase 80% of the Minnesota Timberwolves at a $1.5B franchise valuation, paid in 3 installments.

In 2023, Lore + A-Rod brought on additional partner(s) at a $2.1B franchise valuation. [Here's [the link](https://www.sportico.com/business/team-sales/2023/eric-schmidt-timberwolves-arod-lore-1234761220/#) in this tweet]

Recently, the Charlotte Hornets were sold at a valuation of $3B, while the Phoenix Suns were sold at a valuation of $4B.

As a result of those sales, Lore + A-Rod have been able to sell equity at a much higher valuation ($2.1B) than they bought-in at ($1.5B).

If Lore + A-Rod decided to sell their 80% share in the Wolves in April after the sale is finalized, at an under-market valuation of $2.1B, the pair would make over $400M in cash.

Lore + A-Rod have already built a ton of wealth by owning the Wolves. They have invested heavily in staff/infrastructure, and those investments have paid off handsomely.

If the Wolves continue to be successful on the court, that franchise valuation will likely continue to rise.

How much do the Wolves have to pay in luxury tax penalties to retain their full 9-man rotation?

Assuming the Wolves retain Morris + Anderson for ~$5M/year each, their expected luxury tax payment in 2024-25 is ~$108M, with a similar payment due in 2025-26.

Paying the luxury tax is an investment like any other; by absorbing short-term losses, Lore + A-Rod can benefit from massive long-term gains, such as:

- ⬆️ public support for a new stadium
- ⬆️ national TV brand exposure
- ⬆️ viewership
- ⬆️ advertising/merchandise/ticket sales

The Golden State Warriors are the model for this philosophy:

Step 1: buy a historically inept NBA franchise ✅

Step 2: invest heavily in the on-court + off-court infrastructure, leading to team success

Step 3: capitalize on team success by reinventing brand + building a new arena to generate long-term revenue

Lore + A-Rod are well-suited to follow this model with the Wolves, assuming they are willing to invest heavily in the short-term.

2 additional factors to consider: The NBA’s new TV deal + Expansion Fees

The NBA’s TV deal is set to expire in 2025, so owners and players can expect a massive financial windfall over the next several years.

This increase in revenue will be reflected in an increased salary cap.

After the new NBA TV deal is completed, the NBA is planning to add 2 additional expansion teams.

Assuming a conservative total sale price of $3B per expansion franchise, all NBA ownership groups will receive a check for $100M per franchise - a total of at least $200M in cash.

*Bottom Line:*

**If Lore + A-Rod play their cards right, they have an opportunity to make BILLIONS in equity + long-term revenue + community goodwill, without really losing all that much cash in the short-term due to expansion rights fees and increased short-term revenue.**
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
winforlose
General Manager

Post#45 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:23 am

Movics wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Movics wrote:Scroll down. It is a “thread” which means there are more tweets from the same person

Spoiler:
[WolvesClips] Why Minnesota Timberwolves Fans Should Expect Wolves Ownership to Pay $100M+ in Luxury Tax in 2024-25 and 2025-26:

In 2021, Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez agreed to purchase 80% of the Minnesota Timberwolves at a $1.5B franchise valuation, paid in 3 installments.

In 2023, Lore + A-Rod brought on additional partner(s) at a $2.1B franchise valuation. [Here's [the link](https://www.sportico.com/business/team-sales/2023/eric-schmidt-timberwolves-arod-lore-1234761220/#) in this tweet]

Recently, the Charlotte Hornets were sold at a valuation of $3B, while the Phoenix Suns were sold at a valuation of $4B.

As a result of those sales, Lore + A-Rod have been able to sell equity at a much higher valuation ($2.1B) than they bought-in at ($1.5B).

If Lore + A-Rod decided to sell their 80% share in the Wolves in April after the sale is finalized, at an under-market valuation of $2.1B, the pair would make over $400M in cash.

Lore + A-Rod have already built a ton of wealth by owning the Wolves. They have invested heavily in staff/infrastructure, and those investments have paid off handsomely.

If the Wolves continue to be successful on the court, that franchise valuation will likely continue to rise.

How much do the Wolves have to pay in luxury tax penalties to retain their full 9-man rotation?

Assuming the Wolves retain Morris + Anderson for ~$5M/year each, their expected luxury tax payment in 2024-25 is ~$108M, with a similar payment due in 2025-26.

Paying the luxury tax is an investment like any other; by absorbing short-term losses, Lore + A-Rod can benefit from massive long-term gains, such as:

- ⬆️ viewership

Step 2: invest heavily in the on-court + off-court infrastructure, leading to team success

Step 3: capitalize on team success by reinventing brand + building a new arena to generate long-term revenue

Lore + A-Rod are well-suited to follow this model with the Wolves, assuming they are willing to invest heavily in the short-term.

The NBA’s TV deal is set to expire in 2025, so owners and players can expect a massive financial windfall over the next several years.

After the new NBA TV deal is completed, the NBA is planning to add 2 additional expansion teams.

Assuming a conservative total sale price of $3B per expansion franchise, all NBA ownership groups will receive a check for $100M per franchise - a total of at least $200M in cash.

**If Lore + A-Rod play their cards right, they have an opportunity to make BILLIONS in equity + long-term revenue + community goodwill, without really losing all that much cash in the short-term due to expansion rights fees and increased short-term revenue.**

Good find. Mirrors a lot of what I have been saying plus what other people have been saying about the arena. The only thing they should talk about but didn’t is that they have a third investor (I forget his name,) who is connected to Google (I forget the specifics,) and he has deep pockets. This ownership group went into this with their eyes wide open, and I cannot imagine they did it just to bail out when things are starting to get very profitable.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#46 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:16 am

winforlose wrote:
Movics wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Spoiler:

- ⬆️ viewership

Good find. Mirrors a lot of what I have been saying plus what other people have been saying about the arena. The only thing they should talk about but didn’t is that they have a third investor (I forget his name,) who is connected to Google (I forget the specifics,) and he has deep pockets. This ownership group went into this with their eyes wide open, and I cannot imagine they did it just to bail out when things are starting to get very profitable.

Reasonable assumption and I don't think it's 100m in Taxes but more like 30m. Maybe they also consider the fact Wolves won't receive tax money so the difference is 100m
winforlose
General Manager

Post#47 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:23 am

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Movics wrote:Oh, unfortunately that’s totally possible… here’s the text
Spoiler:

- ⬆️ viewership

Reasonable assumption and I don't think it's 100m in Taxes but more like 30m. Maybe they also consider the fact Wolves won't receive tax money so the difference is 100m

No it literally is 55 right now with 10 players. That excludes, Kyle, Monte, JMAC, and our draft pick. It will probably be 100-120 maybe even 125 depending on how expensive Monte is.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#48 » by minimus » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:19 pm

Guys, what are your impression about TJ Warren? I know he is not only a scorer, but he is also

1) a battle tested NBA veteran. I mean he doesn't lack confidence or familiarity with NBA game.

2) a big wing who is agile enough to beat lazy closeouts and help on boards

I hope we get a younger version of TJ in draft, but I would be happy if he resigns for vetmin and stays healthy
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#49 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:24 pm

minimus wrote:Guys, what are your impression about TJ Warren? I know he is not only a scorer, but he is also

1) a battle tested NBA veteran. I mean he doesn't lack confidence or familiarity with NBA game.

2) a big wing who is agile enough to beat lazy closeouts and help on boards

I hope we get a younger version of TJ in draft, but I would be happy if he resigns for vetmin and stays healthy

He looks like he belongs out there.

Other than a few missed rotations, he's pretty seamlessly integrated into our offense and defense.

Doesn't stop the ball.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,708

Post#50 » by shrink » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:36 am

I heard an interesting bit on a podcast today that I hadn’t considered, and I thought people might enjoy:

The podcast pointed out that when teams create their draft strategy, they may decide whether they have minutes for their picks. Teams that have vets to fill their roster minutes might aim for projects who have a higher upside but a greater chance to fail. The podcasters mentioned 2023 MIN drafting Leonard Miller. Other teams may be expensive and win now, and may aim their pick toward a more developed, but lower ceiling player who might have spent a couple years in college. I think that could be 2024 MIN, and may be why they held onto Wendell Moore Jr, thinking “he’s cheap too, and he won’t mess up the team because he’ll know where to be on the floor.” He still needs to show me something though.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#51 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:45 am

shrink wrote:I heard an interesting bit on a podcast today that I hadn’t considered, and I thought people might enjoy:

The podcast pointed out that when teams create their draft strategy, they may decide whether they have minutes for their picks. Teams that have vets to fill their roster minutes might aim for projects who have a higher upside but a greater chance to fail. The podcasters mentioned 2023 MIN drafting Leonard Miller. Other teams may be expensive and win now, and may aim their pick toward a more developed, but lower ceiling player who might have spent a couple years in college. I think that could be 2024 MIN, and may be why they held onto Wendell Moore Jr, thinking “he’s cheap too, and he won’t mess up the team because he’ll know where to be on the floor.” He still needs to show me something though.

I was listening to a Kyle Theige pod (not sure if he said it on Dane Moore or Flagrant howls,) but Kyle pointed out that NAW is 25. We have a 22 year old Ant, 23 year old Jaden, 24 year old Naz, and 25 year old NAW. In light of that and our standings it is hard to argue that we are not developing our young players. At the same time, Miller and Minott have been neglected in a way I don’t personally like. I could see Minott and Miller being very helpful now (with Rudy banged up, Kyle banged up, Naz banged up, and Karl out,) if we had found minutes for them against sub .500 teams. I don’t mean garbage time minutes either, but actual rotation minutes with guys like Ant, Jaden, NAW, and Mike. Instead, we are throwing them in the deep end without having taught them how to swim.

Regarding the 24 picks, our entire rotation is coming back. Even if we lose Kyle (doubtful,) we will have a new vet minimum who likely will get higher priority over anyone we add. Therefore, any players we select in either round will be projects.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#52 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:13 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I heard an interesting bit on a podcast today that I hadn’t considered, and I thought people might enjoy:

I was listening to a Kyle Theige pod (not sure if he said it on Dane Moore or Flagrant howls,) but Kyle pointed out that NAW is 25. We have a 22 year old Ant, 23 year old Jaden, 24 year old Naz, and 25 year old NAW. In light of that and our standings it is hard to argue that we are not developing our young players. At the same time, Miller and Minott have been neglected in a way I don’t personally like. I could see Minott and Miller being very helpful now (with Rudy banged up, Kyle banged up, Naz banged up, and Karl out,) if we had found minutes for them against sub .500 teams. I don’t mean garbage time minutes either, but actual rotation minutes with guys like Ant, Jaden, NAW, and Mike. Instead, we are throwing them in the deep end without having taught them how to swim.

Regarding the 24 picks, our entire rotation is coming back. Even if we lose Kyle (doubtful,) we will have a new vet minimum who likely will get higher priority over anyone we add. Therefore, any players we select in either round will be projects.

Is there possibly a trend for Tim Connelly specifically?

In his two drafts, he's gone high floor in the first round with both Wendell Moore Jr. and Walker Kessler. It's the second round where he swings for the fences by taking upside guys like Josh Minott, Matteo Spagnolo, Leonard Miller and Jaylen Clark.

As we start March Madness this week with our current picks slotted at 27 and 36, I'm looking for both high floor and high upside guys, because I think there's a decent chance to leave the draft with one of each.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#53 » by shrink » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 am

Smitty claims Towns is the ninth worst contract in the NBA

https://www.spotrac.com/news/nbas-10-worst-value-contracts-2230

Agree?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#54 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 am

shrink wrote:Smitty claims Towns is the ninth worst contract in the NBA

Agree?

No. Especially if Karl comes back in time for the 1st or 2nd round and is healthy enough to give quality minutes. The argument that the Griz were better without Ja because Tyus was able to keep them winning without him was… flawed at best. Same goes for KAT.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#55 » by TimberKat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:56 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:Smitty claims Towns is the ninth worst contract in the NBA

Agree?

No. Especially if Karl comes back in time for the 1st or 2nd round and is healthy enough to give quality minutes. The argument that the Griz were better without Ja because Tyus was able to keep them winning without him was… flawed at best. Same goes for KAT.

What is the avg or median salary of NBA all stars? I think he will be overpaid but not close to 10 worse.
shrink
RealGM

Post#56 » by shrink » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:35 pm

TimberKat wrote:What is the avg or median salary of NBA all stars? I think he will be overpaid but not close to 10 worse.

Very few (24) All Stars don’t make the max these days, unless the are still on rookie scale, and ABOUT to make the max. In fact, it looks like there are 46 players who are either on max deals, or about to get max extensions (Ant, LaMelo, Haliburton, Bane), so half the players on max deals didn’t even make the All Star game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

Now, Towns will be getting the supermax, which is about $7 mil more than normal max deals. If Ant gets All NBA, his deal will be $7 mil more, but because of his lesser years of experience, it will be equal to or less than some of the other max deals out there.

To me, I have no trouble saying Towns is one of the best 46 players in the NBA, and I don’t have a problem with the deal. The chance for Minnesota to lock up a player of his caliber, who actually wants to sacrifice to help Minnesota win a ring, makes him worth his deal to us.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#57 » by TimberKat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 pm

shrink wrote:
TimberKat wrote:What is the avg or median salary of NBA all stars? I think he will be overpaid but not close to 10 worse.

Very few (24) All Stars don’t make the max these days, unless the are still on rookie scale, and ABOUT to make the max. In fact, it looks like there are 46 players who are either on max deals, or about to get max extensions (Ant, LaMelo, Haliburton, Bane), so half the players on max deals didn’t even make the All Star game.

Now, Towns will be getting the supermax, which is about $7 mil more than normal max deals. If Ant gets All NBA, his deal will be $7 mil more, but because of his lesser years of experience, it will be equal to or less than some of the other max deals out there.

To me, I have no trouble saying Towns is one of the best 46 players in the NBA, and I don’t have a problem with the deal. The chance for Minnesota to lock up a player of his caliber, who actually wants to sacrifice to help Minnesota win a ring, makes him worth his deal to us.

Yes, my only issue is the "super". He got that under the old rules and get NBA 3rd team only once is not "super" to me. A couple time on 3rd team is still worth "super" in my opinion.
shrink
RealGM

Post#58 » by shrink » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:43 pm

TimberKat wrote:
shrink wrote:

Yes, my only issue is the "super". He got that under the old rules and get NBA 3rd team only once is not "super" to me. A couple time on 3rd team is still worth "super" in my opinion.

I get that, but it’s going to get worse for the rest of the NBA. With the new 65-game eligibility requirement for awards, it’s already eliminated Embiid, Kyrie, Beal, LaMelo, Ja, Jimmy Butler, Donovan Mitchell and Porzingas, and Haliburton might miss too. All NBA takes the top 15, so now it will find worse players to replace some of these guys to get to 15. There are going to be players less “super” than Towns that are going to be eligible for supermaxes, and probably expect them.

In addition, every year we will likely see jumps in the salary cap, so max deals next year will begin with a higher initial salary. The supermaxes will obviously be more expensive, but inflation will push standard maxes over Towns salary in a few years. If you don’t expect KAT’s numbers to decline substantially (his final season under contract is age 32), then the deal will be better comparatively simply because it began in a year with a smaller salary cap.

Case in point: Did you realize Rudy Gobert is on a supermax too, and when it began in 2021, it was the largest deal for a center in league history? However, CBA limited raises don’t compete with the rise in the salary cap, so next year, his deal will pay him about $7 mil less than Towns, so it’s more like a newly signed standard max.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves