ImageImageImage

Off-season 2024

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Off-season 2024 

Post#1 » by minimus » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:20 am

I like to think that Monte Morris trade is also about upcoming off-season, because MIN have got now his Bords right. From what I have seen Morris is a perfect fit here because of many reasons:

1) with Monte as backup PG we have continuity at PG position since both Conley and Morris plays same game in offense

2) Monte is actually giving effort in defense

We would not have any chance to get such player as FA in summer. So Connelly kind of has already started preparation for summer. He put MIN in position to be able to mitigate one of our biggest risks: let this franchise be outplayed in FA market simply because we don't have resources. I like that.

What's next?

Two years ago we resigned Pat Bev before FA opening. In theory we can do the same with Conley and Morris. However, I am not sure if MIN will do this earlier. It might be a good thing to give players contract going into deep playoff run.

I honestly do not like Marcus Morris rumors. Both from personality and skillset point of view. I'd rather have Joe Harris shooting those open threes and trying to revive his career next to two great playmakers. So as I said I would love to get Harris as a movement shooter after buyout/waiving. The other thing that IMO suggest a movement shooter is that our next three prospects Minott, Miller and Clarke are not natural shooters. Even though Miller has been hitting 42% of threes, he has one of weirdest footwork I have ever seen. Moore has completely lost any confidence.

My favorite off-season scenario would be:

Resign both Conley and Morris before FA market to reasonable deals. Resign McLaughlin to vetmin. Convert Garza to Gupta special deal.

Get a (movement) shooter in draft and/or PG prospect.

Gobert/Reid/Garza
Towns/Minott/Miller
McDaniels/???/Minott
Edwards/NAW/Clarke + Moore
Conley/Morris/???/McLaughlin

Will probably let Anderson walk for financial reasons, but try to replace his unique skillset and production with combination of Morris/Minott/Miller/Clarke.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: Off-season 2024 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:47 pm

minimus wrote:I honestly do not like Marcus Morris rumors. Both from personality and skillset point of view. I'd rather have Joe Harris shooting those open threes and trying to revive his career next to two great playmakers. So as I said I would love to get Harris as a movement shooter after buyout/waiving. The other thing that IMO suggest a movement shooter is that our next three prospects Minott, Miller and Clarke are not natural shooters. Even though Miller has been hitting 42% of threes, he has one of weirdest footwork I have ever seen. Moore has completely lost any confidence.

Resign both Conley and Morris before FA market to reasonable deals. Resign McLaughlin to vetmin. Convert Garza to Gupta special deal.

Gobert/Reid/Garza
Towns/Minott/Miller
McDaniels/???/Minott

Will probably let Anderson walk for financial reasons, but try to replace his unique skillset and production with combination of Morris/Minott/Miller/Clarke.

Your rationale for a movement shooter makes sense, but I'd argue that NAW has become that for the second unit.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#3 » by jpatrick » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:33 pm

I’m not sure NAW is a movement shooter. He’s much more a catch-and-shoot guy. He’s definitely not coming full speed off a double screen, catching, and shooting. Beasley was a movement shooter. KAT is actually probably our best movement shooter. I haven’t watched enough of Harris to know, but purely off his shooting numbers, I’d assume he was.

The bigger question with Harris is what does he have left. He had major ankle surgery a couple years ago and hasn’t shown that he’s been the same guy since.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#4 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:38 pm

minimus wrote:I like to think that Monte Morris trade is also about upcoming off-season, because MIN have got now his Bords right. From what I have seen Morris is a perfect fit here because of many reasons:

1) with Monte as backup PG we have continuity at PG position since both Conley and Morris plays same game in offense

We would not have any chance to get such player as FA in summer. So Connelly kind of has already started preparation for summer. He put MIN in position to be able to mitigate one of our biggest risks: let this franchise be outplayed in FA market simply because we don't have resources. I like that.

What's next?

Two years ago we resigned Pat Bev before FA opening. In theory we can do the same with Conley and Morris. However, I am not sure if MIN will do this earlier. It might be a good thing to give players contract going into deep playoff run.

I honestly do not like Marcus Morris rumors. Both from personality and skillset point of view. I'd rather have Joe Harris shooting those open threes and trying to revive his career next to two great playmakers. So as I said I would love to get Harris as a movement shooter after buyout/waiving. The other thing that IMO suggest a movement shooter is that our next three prospects Minott, Miller and Clarke are not natural shooters. Even though Miller has been hitting 42% of threes, he has one of weirdest footwork I have ever seen. Moore has completely lost any confidence.

Gobert/Reid/Garza
Towns/Minott/Miller
McDaniels/???/Minott

1. The tax isn’t paid until the end of the season. I would schocked if we didn’t resign Kyle. He can be traded into two separate players and function like an MLE (which we won’t get next year,) traded into space for a pick and we have TPE which would allow us to sign a buyout guy for the rest of 24-25 as well as for 25-26 for around 10 million. Or we could just get picks for Kyle and save the money. No matter what Kyle’s defense will ensure value to someone, and we cannot replace the salary slot easily.

2. Marcus Morris is perfect for us. He has the toughness and playoff experience to be valuable, and he can shoot at a reliable clip. Even if he is just a decoy, he helps with spacing and is a big body to help double a Zion or KP in the playoffs.

3. Let’s talk roster spots. Assume we keep Mike, Kyle, and Monte. All 5 starters are back. Monte/NAW/Kyle/Naz are all back. Minott, Miller, Moore are back. Plus a first round pick puts us at 13. Let’s assume we let JMAC walk, Garza cannot be a two way. So we replace Luka with our new 2nd round draft pick. Two ways Nix/Clarke/Pick. That leaves one slot which might be Marcus Morris (if he ring chases,) JMAC, (if he likes it here and cannot do better than a minimum elsewhere, though we do own his bird rights.) Run it back is basically built into this team for next season. The only question is the last spot.

Edit to add a question. If we sign Morris as a buyout does this count as year one of bird rights? I ask because let’s assume he is a ring chaser and will stay for the rest of the MLE this year and next. Then we could pay him a bump using early bird and keep him for the rest of his career if we so choose. Correct?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:41 pm

For the record, I don't think Marcus Morris would be here past this summer. That very rarely happens.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM

Post#6 » by minimus » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:42 pm

Klomp wrote:Your rationale for a movement shooter makes sense, but I'd argue that NAW has become that for the second unit.

From what I see movement shooter function/duties is being shared between multiple players: Conley has been thriving in this role by taking side step jumpers, Reid is taking more threes, NAW is making clutch threes, Morris is taking mid range shots. So MIN as system is being adjusting to lack of dedicated movement shooter. I think that even if we get such player it will be either low profile veteran such as Joe Harris, or a rookie from draft who can grow into this role. I see similarities here with Gobert who completely changed identity of this team by filling the biggest need as defender, while before Gobert trade everyone was asked to play more "hero" in defense. Now MIN defend as group, will less heroic performance, but more structure, more schematic more strategic. Same with shooting. MIN kind of relies on hot shooting night from their stars and one of Conley/NAW/Reid. But a movement shooter could bring more consistency, more structure.

Another thing why I am worried about lack of a movement shooter is inevitable decline of Conley. Who is indeed our best movement shooter at the moment. Can we mitigate this risk by adding young prospect with developing shooting ability?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#7 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:07 pm

Klomp wrote:For the record, I don't think Marcus Morris would be here past this summer. That very rarely happens.

True. The usual exception is older players who are not likely to sign above the minimum but have a desire to ring chase. Morris is 34 turning 35 in September. Maybe he gets the MLE somewhere if he is lucky. But more likely he gets 4 or 5 million somewhere. We can pay him between 3 and 4 (if my math is right,) and offer him a real chance for a ring with a solid contender.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#8 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 pm

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Your rationale for a movement shooter makes sense, but I'd argue that NAW has become that for the second unit.

From what I see movement shooter function/duties is being shared between multiple players: Conley has been thriving in this role by taking side step jumpers, Reid is taking more threes, NAW is making clutch threes, Morris is taking mid range shots. So MIN as system is being adjusting to lack of dedicated movement shooter. I think that even if we get such player it will be either low profile veteran such as Joe Harris, or a rookie from draft who can grow into this role. I see similarities here with Gobert who completely changed identity of this team by filling the biggest need as defender, while before Gobert trade everyone was asked to play more "hero" in defense. Now MIN defend as group, will less heroic performance, but more structure, more schematic more strategic. Same with shooting. MIN kind of relies on hot shooting night from their stars and one of Conley/NAW/Reid. But a movement shooter could bring more consistency, more structure.

Another thing why I am worried about lack of a movement shooter is inevitable decline of Conley. Who is indeed our best movement shooter at the moment. Can we mitigate this risk by adding young prospect with developing shooting ability?

I keep hearing the term movement shooter. What qualifies as a movement shooter vs a regular shooter? Is an escape dribble enough, a step back? What is the definition for our purposes?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#9 » by jpatrick » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:49 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

I keep hearing the term movement shooter. What qualifies as a movement shooter vs a regular shooter? Is an escape dribble enough, a step back? What is the definition for our purposes?

To me, a movement shooter is someone that can come off screens hard, stop on a dime, and shoot. Essentially they are moving right before they catch and shoot. They help diversify your offense because teams have to be constantly worried about them moving and instantly catching and shooting. There are tons of sets/plays they can run as either primary or secondary actions. The other types of shooting are either off their own dribble or guys that catch and shoot (essentially catching while standing still and shooting).
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 364

Post#10 » by Sealab2024 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:07 pm

I think people overlook the obvious with Marcus Morris Rumors. IMHO he's Zion Williamson insurance. Zion tears us up because he's too strong for Jaden or Naz and too quick for Karl or Kyle. Marcus at least gives us a beefy guy we can throw at him for 15-20 minutes a game if worst comes to worst. If we don't need him, then all the better. From everything I've heard he's a great locker room guy and a bit of an outright enforcer. This team can use both.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#11 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:32 pm

jpatrick wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

To me, a movement shooter is someone that can come off screens hard, stop on a dime, and shoot. Essentially they are moving right before they catch and shoot. They help diversify your offense because teams have to be constantly worried about them moving and instantly catching and shooting. There are tons of sets/plays they can run as either primary or secondary actions. The other types of shooting are either off their own dribble or guys that catch and shoot (essentially catching while standing still and shooting).

I think we might have the best movement shooter in the league based on that description. His name is KAT and he can play PNP with Rudy all day.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:42 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:I think people overlook the obvious with Marcus Morris Rumors. IMHO he's Zion Williamson insurance. Zion tears us up because he's too strong for Jaden or Naz and too quick for Karl or Kyle. Marcus at least gives us a beefy guy we can throw at him for 15-20 minutes a game if worst comes to worst. If we don't need him, then all the better. From everything I've heard he's a great locker room guy and a bit of an outright enforcer. This team can use both.

1000%

winforlose
General Manager

Post#13 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:07 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:I think people overlook the obvious with Marcus Morris Rumors. IMHO he's Zion Williamson insurance. Zion tears us up because he's too strong for Jaden or Naz and too quick for Karl or Kyle. Marcus at least gives us a beefy guy we can throw at him for 15-20 minutes a game if worst comes to worst. If we don't need him, then all the better. From everything I've heard he's a great locker room guy and a bit of an outright enforcer. This team can use both.

There is truth to this. But he is also Kyle Anderson insurance. If Kyle cannot perform in the playoffs, and foul trouble is an issue, Marcus can give you those bridge minutes to make up the difference. If he plays well enough he might even get into the rotation in place of Kyle. It will all depend on his defense.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,711

Post#14 » by shrink » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:05 am

jpatrick wrote:To me, a movement shooter is someone that can come off screens hard, stop on a dime, and shoot. Essentially they are moving right before they catch and shoot. They help diversify your offense because teams have to be constantly worried about them moving and instantly catching and shooting. There are tons of sets/plays they can run as either primary or secondary actions. The other types of shooting are either off their own dribble or guys that catch and shoot (essentially catching while standing still and shooting).

Can we draft Caitlyn Clark?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#15 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:09 am

shrink wrote:
jpatrick wrote:To me, a movement shooter is someone that can come off screens hard, stop on a dime, and shoot. Essentially they are moving right before they catch and shoot. They help diversify your offense because teams have to be constantly worried about them moving and instantly catching and shooting. There are tons of sets/plays they can run as either primary or secondary actions. The other types of shooting are either off their own dribble or guys that catch and shoot (essentially catching while standing still and shooting).

Would certainly generate buzz. But the locker room might develop a different kind of chemistry.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,711

Post#16 » by shrink » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:11 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:

Would certainly generate buzz. But the locker room might develop a different kind of chemistry.

Yeah, she probably has too much dog in her for some of the Wolves.
minimus
RealGM

Post#17 » by minimus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:54 am

winforlose wrote:I think we might have the best movement shooter in the league based on that description. His name is KAT and he can play PNP with Rudy all day.

Karl moves well, especially considering his gigantic feet. But he is not the best movement shooter even in MIN. Here is KAT repertoire:

C&S threes over defender (including threes in semitransition, when opponent gets too low and KAT is trailing just in time to punish opponent in drop)
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Off screen threes
Read on Twitter

Pick and pop threes:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

To sum up: Towns prefers to use his height advantage rather than movement to get his shots. Because of his size it is uncomfortable for him to operate in tight spaces such as corners, or in half court offense when defense is set. Opponents will adjust by attaching smaller, more quickly wings to him which takes away his three point shooting.

Our best movement shooter is by far Conley. Second is probably NAW
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Third I hope will be Monte Morris.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

A movement shooter is kind of shortcut for offense, because he can operate in tight spaces such as using Gobert screens even in halfcourt, but MIN can definitely find workarounds and share this role. However, as I said before it looks to me like our offense is made for movement shooter: he will have all spacing in the world with Gobert setting screens, Ant drive-n-kick game, and Conley/Morris execution. He also will have a solid defensive environment around with group of very capable defenders.

Here is example of Corey Kispert as movement shooter.
Read on Twitter

Here is Harris in Brooklyn
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#18 » by TimberKat » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:24 pm

minimus wrote:Karl moves well, especially considering his gigantic feet. But is not the best movement shooter even in MIN.

It feels like someone who can run around screens with an accurate quick 3 trigger. Someone like Booker, Beasley, Kennard, and Mcdermott. Is Harris on the buyout market and can he still move? Maybe Klay will take a vet minimum from us next year to honor his Dad's home state :D
minimus
RealGM

Post#19 » by minimus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:32 pm

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:Karl moves well, especially considering his gigantic feet. But is not the best movement shooter even in MIN.

It feels like someone who can run around screens with an accurate quick 3 trigger. Someone like Booker, Beasley, Kennard, and Mcdermott. Is Harris on the buyout market and can he still move? Maybe Klay will take a vet minimum from us next year to honor his Dad's home state :D

I have heard MIN must sign one player by Feb.22. We will find out soon who it will be.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:40 pm

minimus wrote:I like to think that Monte Morris trade is also about upcoming off-season, because MIN have got now his Bords right. From what I have seen Morris is a perfect fit here because of many reasons:

What's next?

Gobert/Reid/Garza
Towns/Minott/Miller
McDaniels/???/Minott

My takeaway from the Connelly regime to date: See problem, resolve problem.

Problem 1: Interior defense, defensive rebounding in Memphis series.
Solution: Trade for arguably best defensive interior player in the world, sign maybe the best on the open market to MLE

Problem 2: Professionalism, taking every game seriously
Solution: Trade for Mike Conley Jr.

Problem 3: Too many turnovers
Solution: Trade for one of best A/TO guys in the last 5 years

Problem 4: Bullied by bigger, athletic forwards
Solution: Sign physical forward Marcus Morris?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves