ImageImageImage

Playoff seeding thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Re: Playoff seeding thread 

Post#81 » by life_saver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

I'd wanna avoid Mavs, Pels in Round1. Kings would probably be the best possible opponent among all the current options
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#82 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Clarification on tiebreaker procedure. I previously believed we only needed to win one of the remaining two games against Denver to own all tiebreakers. However, it appears we would need to win both remaining games against Denver in case of a three-way tie, or Oklahoma City would actually claim the top seed due to the Thunder's 3-1 series win over the Nuggets.

Via NBA.com

b. More Than Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving more than two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
(1) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
(2) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

Oklahoma City 5-3
Minnesota 3-3, two remaining
Denver 2-4, two remaining

(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in same division).

Oklahoma City 12-4
Minnesota 11-3, two remaining
Denver 8-5, three remaining

In case of two-way ties, Minnesota only needs one win over the Nuggets, since the OKC-DEN series doesn't factor into the equation.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#83 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

Klomp wrote:Clarification on tiebreaker procedure. I previously believed we only needed to win one of the remaining two games against Denver to own all tiebreakers. However, it appears we would need to win both remaining games against Denver in case of a three-way tie, or Oklahoma City would actually claim the top seed due to the Thunder's 3-1 series win over the Nuggets.

Via NBA.com

b. More Than Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving more than two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
(1) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
(2) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

Oklahoma City 5-3
Minnesota 3-3, two remaining
Denver 2-4, two remaining

(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in same division).

Oklahoma City 12-4
Minnesota 11-3, two remaining
Denver 8-5, three remaining

In case of two-way ties, Minnesota only needs one win over the Nuggets, since the OKC-DEN series doesn't factor into the equation.

Good find. I don’t like what you found, but that is hardly your fault :)
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#84 » by Worm Guts » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:52 pm

One more win clinches a top 6 seed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:One more win clinches a top 6 seed.

Some people get annoyed by these "low bar" stats, but I'd equate them to the "magic number" stat you often see in baseball. It's just a mark that has to be hit on the way to where you're going.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,696

Post#86 » by shrink » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:58 pm

Keeping the top seed is so important. Not just that it provides home court advantage (and the Wolves fans are loud!) but because of the pathway. If MIN, DEN and OKC are the three best teams (I believe they are), the top seed only needs to beat one of them in the playoffs, and the #2 and #3 seeds need to beat both of the other two.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:32 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#88 » by cmoss84 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:02 am

Would you rather face NO or Phoenix in 1st round?
*side note: anyone looking to sell Sundays tickets? I live in Bakersfield...about 2 hrs north of da stadium. Parents coming to visit for me bday. All good either way-love chatting with you fellers!
shrink
RealGM

Post#89 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:59 am

cmoss84 wrote:Would you rather face NO or Phoenix in 1st round?
*side note: anyone looking to sell Sundays tickets? I live in Bakersfield...about 2 hrs north of da stadium. Parents coming to visit for me bday. All good either way-love chatting with you fellers!

Both teams have the chance to win games against us, but I don’t think either can win four games. NOP is just too inconsistent night to night - worse than us. And while our defense takes away three pointers and shots at the rim, PHX has two great mid-range scorers. However, they have no bench whatsoever, so Naz, et al is a huge advantage.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:12 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Don't overlook how important this is. We're starting to see a lot of bumps and bruises adding up for this team. By securing a Top 6 seed, we've locked in nearly a week's time without games.

The regular season finale is Sunday, April 14.
The first round of the playoff start on April 20.

Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#91 » by Guest84 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:41 am

I haven’t checked the numbers but if there’s a minimal chance to drop to 4, it might be time to rest players periodically.

I think some guys could benefit from it
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,505

Post#92 » by TimberKat » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:06 am

Guest84 wrote:I haven’t checked the numbers but if there’s a minimal chance to drop to 4, it might be time to rest players periodically.

I think some guys could benefit from it

I think we are still fighting for the #2 spot. Playing a play-in team still feels like a big advantage. If there is no play-in like the old days, I would agree.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:08 am

OKC loses. With a win tonight, we're either tied for first or a half game back of first.

shrink
RealGM

Post#94 » by shrink » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:39 am

Way to play tough, Spurs.

They lost their last two match ups with the Nuggets by 44 and 43, but it’s a close game right now!
shrink
RealGM

Post#95 » by shrink » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:47 am

Nuggets won, but I wanted to point something out

DEN 53-23
MIN 52-23
OKC 52-23

Denver is a half game ahead, but they are tied in the loss column. MIN and OKC get to play one more game than DEN does, and since these teams are winning at a 70% clip, this is not a coin flip.

Another way to say this: if MIN wins their last seven games, DEN can only tie their record, and the tie-breaker will likely go to MIN.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#96 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:02 am

shrink wrote:Nuggets won, but I wanted to point something out

DEN 53-23
MIN 52-23
OKC 52-23

Denver is a half game ahead, but they are tied in the loss column. MIN and OKC get to play one more game than DEN does, and since these teams are winning at a 70% clip, this is not a coin flip.

Another way to say this: if MIN wins their last seven games, DEN can only tie their record, and the tie-breaker will likely go to MIN.

Considering that we play Denver again, if we win out, we won’t be tied with Denver.
shrink
RealGM

Post#97 » by shrink » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:12 am

Fun to do this in a year when it’s not about lottery position

MIN: TOR, @PHX, @LAL, WAS, @DEN, ATL, PHX

DEN: @LAC, ATL, @UTA, MIN, @SAS, @MEM

OKC: @BOS, @IND, @CHA, SAC, SAS, MIL, DAL
shrink
RealGM

Post#98 » by shrink » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:23 pm

I wanted to look up which teams might be tanking.

Tonight we play TOR, who’s eliminated from the playoffs and has lost 14 straight!

MIN faces 2 tankers, TOR and WAS
DEN faces 2 tankers, @SAS, @MEM
OKC faces 2 tankers, @CHA, SAS. They also play @BOS, who has clinched the #1 seed.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#99 » by TimberKat » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:45 pm

shrink wrote:Way to play tough, Spurs.

They lost their last two match ups with the Nuggets by 44 and 43, but it’s a close game right now!

Spurs should had won. They took some really bad shots at the end and Wemby was out of gas and just throwing up prayers.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#100 » by TimberKat » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:53 pm

shrink wrote:Fun to do this in a year when it’s not about lottery position

MIN: TOR, @PHX, @LAL, WAS, @DEN, ATL, PHX

DEN: @LAC, ATL, @UTA, MIN, @SAS, @MEM

OKC: @BOS, @IND, @CHA, SAC, SAS, MIL, DAL

MIN has the most difficult schedule here. DEN has 3 competitive games as UTA is done for the season too. I think OKC vs MIL maybe meaningless too depending if Cleveland could give MIL a run. MIN vs PHX will be tough because I expect PHX will be fight for play-in positioning even on that last game.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves