Playoff seeding thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,457

Re: Playoff seeding thread 

Post#21 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:In ordeer of teams that scare me as a Timberwolves fan.

1. Denver
2. Clippers
3. Suns
4. Pelicans
5. Thunder
6. Mavericks
7. Kings
8. Lakers
9. Warriors

I think any of those teams could actually beat us. Nothing is a lock. Teams 1-5 have a fair chance to beat us IMO. Mavs could but it would be harder. Kings, Lakers, and Warriors I would feel more comfortable against but I would never put anything above AD and Lebron or the Warriors turning back the clock for seven games enough to get it done.

No reason to be scared. We play them and do our best, but at the end of the day it's just basketball. :D :evil:

If you don’t watch Ted Lasso you might not get the reference but “Basketball is Life!”
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#22 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:19 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:In ordeer of teams that scare me as a Timberwolves fan.

1. Denver
2. Clippers
3. Suns
4. Pelicans
5. Thunder
6. Mavericks
7. Kings
8. Lakers
9. Warriors

I think any of those teams could actually beat us. Nothing is a lock. Teams 1-5 have a fair chance to beat us IMO. Mavs could but it would be harder. Kings, Lakers, and Warriors I would feel more comfortable against but I would never put anything above AD and Lebron or the Warriors turning back the clock for seven games enough to get it done.

No reason to be scared. We play them and do our best, but at the end of the day it's just basketball. :D :evil:

If you don’t watch Ted Lasso you might not get the reference but “Basketball is Life!”

Basketball is fun, but music is life. I just got tickets for Santana and Counting Crows. $180 per ticket, but I'll pay it. I would never pay over $100 for a sporting event.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#23 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:No reason to be scared. We play them and do our best, but at the end of the day it's just basketball. :D :evil:

Basketball is fun, but music is life. I just got tickets for Santana and Counting Crows. $180 per ticket, but I'll pay it. I would never pay over $100 for a sporting event.

You obviously don’t watch Ted Lasso. Santa is good, is he performing with CC or are they separate acts? I always liked Santana’s collaborations, Michelle Branch, Chad Kroger, Rob Thomas, and Alex Band were some of my favorites. Counting Crows is a bit more hit or miss for me, but I do absolutely love some of their songs. Holiday in Spain is a classic :)
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#24 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:41 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You obviously don’t watch Ted Lasso. Santa is good, is he performing with CC or are they separate acts? I always liked Santana’s collaborations, Michelle Branch, Chad Kroger, Rob Thomas, and Alex Band were some of my favorites. Counting Crows is a bit more hit or miss for me, but I do absolutely love some of their songs. Holiday in Spain is a classic :)

It's a co-headliner show, but Santana is listed 1st. I'm hoping he can still bring it at 76 years old. Counting Crows is the band I want to see more. If you've only heard the album/studio versions of their songs try checking out how they are in concert. It's a totally different thing. Here's a concert they did while August and Everything After was on the charts. First song is Round here.

Album version is 6 minutes. Concert version is 12.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#25 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:22 pm

Which team is the best matchup for the Wolves come playoff time? 1st seed seems to be out of reach with no KAT. For sure we'll end up as the number 2-4th seed.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
winforlose
General Manager

Post#26 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:16 am

I keep reading people saying based on the last 2 games we are in trouble without KAT. To be fair and clear, the Cleveland game was about as dead legs as you can get. We had 5 non Naz 3s in the first half of the LAL game, and in the Cavs game we shot 1 of 19 outside of Naz for the game. That tells you all you need to know about extrapolation value. The LAL game was missing 4 of 9 rotation players. Worse, 3 of those four were bigs. LAL had LBJ, AD, Rui, and Dlo all at size advantages. Let’s be pessimistic and assume all those guys miss the clippers game and we lose it. We get 3 full days off to get guys healthy. Counting the 3 days since the Cavs game, the day of the Clippers game, and the 3 days off after it, that is a week for Monte, Rudy, Kyle, Ant, and anyone else banged up to heal. This team is not doomed yet. Losing to the Cavs was always going to happen. It was a schedule loss given the insane number of games we played to that point (in a short span.) The LAL loss hurt, but those depleted bench games happen to everyone. Look at Dallas. Denver had one not that long ago where two starters went down for the second half and they lost. The Clippers lost to the Kings today resting PG and KL.

This is the worst part of the season for us. We are watching our guys go down or get banged up, and we are watching our top seed from the whole season disappear. But we failed to take advantage of opportunities when healthy and this is what happens. Whether we are the 1 seed or 3 seed or worse, we will be fine. Just remember, this is the last major road trip of the year, and there are plenty of bad teams ahead of us we can beat short handed.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#27 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:08 am

I agree with that. At that stage we should not focus on position but on making sure guys are fresh and healthy when PO start. Finishing 3 , 4 or 5 is not that important. We will have to outperform if we want to make a semi or WCF.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#28 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:45 am

Just curious if anyone thinks LAC ends in the top 4? I am thinking they fall to 5th or 6th. Especially if KL missed any length of time.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#29 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:48 am

Without KL they are for me a play in team… with KL they are contenders. I think him and ADavis are the only 2 players who can beat Rudy for DPOY.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#30 » by shrink » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:10 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:Which team is the best matchup for the Wolves come playoff time?

I’m curious what people think about this question too.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#31 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:26 pm

shrink wrote:

There is a variable in here regarding KAT. Assuming he is back and even 80% in order of preference

1. Clippers
2. Warriors
3. Mavs
4. Suns
5. Kings
6. Lakers
7. Pels

The Nugs and Thunder are so unlikely I am not including them in a first round ranking. Notice the smaller teams are higher up the list.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,495

Post#32 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:02 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:

There is a variable in here regarding KAT. Assuming he is back and even 80% in order of preference

1. Clippers
2. Warriors
3. Mavs
4. Suns
5. Kings
6. Lakers
7. Pels

The Nugs and Thunder are so unlikely I am not including them in a first round ranking. Notice the smaller teams are higher up the list.

1. Any team that is missing a top 3 player
2. Mavs - because we have wing players that can contain their big 2
3. GSW - they are old and also have to go thru play-in
4. Kings - any teams from Kings down are dangerous
5. LAC - at lease we had some success but full strength with KL, PG, Harden will not be easy
6. LAL - we will need 80% of Towns, otherwise we are too small against them
7. PHO - we have no defense against KD
8. NOP - They are the most unpredictable
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#33 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:38 am

I m worry about playing 2 teams :
- Lakers because AD always tough match up for Rudy and KAT. Plus they start every games with a 10 points advantage ( Free Throw...)
- GSW: they not so dangerous, except Steph but Draymond can make it dangerous for our players the dirty way he play.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#34 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:11 pm

Question for the board. Are you rooting for or against the Pels going forward? The upside of the Pels getting 4th is them being outside of our bracket (assuming we are 2nd or 3rd,) and maybe getting the Clippers in the first round. The downside is the Pels might catch us if Gobert stays out. Also we could end up playing the Clippers in the 1st round.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#35 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:31 am

At that stage, it does not much matter who will play. We won't finish first so we will play a good team . I just want to avoid Lakers, not because they are good but because they will start all game with a 12FT advantage.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#36 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:10 am

winforlose wrote:Question for the board. Are you rooting for or against the Pels going forward? The upside of the Pels getting 4th is them being outside of our bracket (assuming we are 2nd or 3rd,) and maybe getting the Clippers in the first round. The downside is the Pels might catch us if Gobert stays out. Also we could end up playing the Clippers in the 1st round.

Definitely safe to root for Pels now. They have to go 11-2 to catch the Wolves that go 6-7.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#37 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:38 am

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:Question for the board. Are you rooting for or against the Pels going forward? The upside of the Pels getting 4th is them being outside of our bracket (assuming we are 2nd or 3rd,) and maybe getting the Clippers in the first round. The downside is the Pels might catch us if Gobert stays out. Also we could end up playing the Clippers in the 1st round.

Definitely safe to root for Pels now. They have to go 11-2 to catch the Wolves that go 6-7.

The question is where do we want them? If they get 4th and we end in 2nd or 3rd, then we are max distance away. But, if they fall to 6th and we end in 3rd we play them. Likewise do we want the Clippers in a 4/5 or 3/6 matchup? I think we do, but I was curious what everyone else thinks.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#38 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:54 am

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

The question is where do we want them? If they get 4th and we end in 2nd or 3rd, then we are max distance away. But, if they fall to 6th and we end in 3rd we play them. Likewise do we want the Clippers in a 4/5 or 3/6 matchup? I think we do, but I was curious what everyone else thinks.

Still root for NOP because our likely landing spot is #3 and would prefer to play the Kings over any other team. Once we get to round 2, all the teams feels the same for me. It's a matter of who has more injuries.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#39 » by shrink » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:11 pm

Maybe I’m becoming too much of a homer, but I have stopped paying attention, because I don’t fear any team.

We’re built to compete with DEN. We are the only team they don’t have a size advantage, we have defenders for Murray, and they don’t have a defender for Ant. OKC is too small. We keep crushing LAC. NOP is too inconsistent to win a 7-game series

Several teams have a player that could get hot and win a game, but in a seven game series, consistent defense trumps that.

Bring ‘em on. Anybody.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#40 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:03 pm

shrink wrote:Maybe I’m becoming too much of a homer, but I have stopped paying attention, because I don’t fear any team.

Were built to compete with DEN. We are the only team they don’t have a size advantage, we have defenders for Murray, and they don’t have a defender for Ant. OKC is too small. We keep crushing LAC. NOP is too inconsistent to win a 7-game series

Several teams have a player that could get hot and win a game, but in a seven game series, consistent defense trumps that.

Bring ‘em on. Anybody.

The funny thing is, the two teams that "worry" me the most are New Orleans and Oklahoma City. But they are also two of the least playoff-experienced teams in the field.

Not saying that the other teams can't beat us, but I'm not going into a series worried about it or feeling doom and gloom.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves