ImageImageImage

Playoff seeding thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,452

Playoff seeding thread 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:48 pm

I see bits and pieces scattered on various threads, I figured we should centralize this topic here. My preferred seeding post play in.

1. Wolves
2. Thunder/Nuggets
3. Thunder/Nuggets
4. Clippers
5. Kings
6. Mav
7. Pels
8. Warriors

I think in this configuration we play the first two series with size advantages (Warrior, Clippers,) and then only face one of the two most dangerous teams besides us. I want the Lakers eliminated on principle, and the Suns eliminated because they are a wild card, but also because they went all in on a Beal/Booker backcourt which is not a lot of defense. I don’t want to see that model rewarded.
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 360

Re: Playoff seeding thread 

Post#2 » by Sealab2024 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:53 pm

winforlose wrote:I see bits and pieces scattered on various threads, I figured we should centralize this topic here. My preferred seeding post play in.

1. Wolves
2. Thunder/Nuggets
3. Thunder/Nuggets
4. Clippers
5. Kings
6. Mav
7. Pels
8. Warriors

I think in this configuration we play the first two series with size advantages (Warrior, Clippers,) and then only face one of the two most dangerous teams besides us. I want the Lakers eliminated on principle, and the Suns eliminated because they are a wild card, but also because they went all in on a Beal/Booker backcourt which is not a lot of defense. I don’t want to see that model rewarded.

This would be the best case scenario for me. The wolves always get up for playing GS and they match up really well. I'm not sure I like the Clippers over Sacramento though, mostly because I don't think giving the keys to James Harden has ever been a winning model in the playoffs. It wouldn't surprise me if Sactown came out of that series.

Either way, I like us against either the Clippers or kings. If we can get Warriors followed by either of those two, I expect us to be in the WCF. I don't wanna see new Orleans in the first round and I don't wanna see the Suns in the Second round.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#3 » by Guest84 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:08 pm

The more I look at the west, there's no gimme series at all. GS/Lakers will be tough due to experience. NO/Phx appear to be bad matchups. Kings, Mavs (healthy) could be a problem when the lights are bright. Den is Den.

Wolves will have to have supreme focus but I honestly don't think a loss in Rd 1 is an upset. Disappointing...yes but any of these teams could win any series.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#4 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:43 am

Guest84 wrote:The more I look at the west, there's no gimme series at all. GS/Lakers will be tough due to experience. NO/Phx appear to be bad matchups. Kings, Mavs (healthy) could be a problem when the lights are bright. Den is Den.

Wolves will have to have supreme focus but I honestly don't think a loss in Rd 1 is an upset. Disappointing...yes but any of these teams could win any series.

Otherwise known as TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS!!
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#5 » by theGreatRC » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:28 am

Only team that worries me round 1 are the Pelicans..they have the size + length that our team has, which has been our main advantage.

Phoenix might be a close second, only because I feel like Booker seems to be hyper motivated against us for some reason. Same thing with Zion and i find it interesting and strange lol.

Other than that, no other team round 1 is scary, maybe a motivated Lakers team?

I also highly doubt this team finishes low enough to play Denver round 1 again, but they are obviously scary no matter what
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
winforlose
General Manager

Post#6 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:47 am

theGreatRC wrote:Only team that worries me round 1 are the Pelicans..they have the size + length that our team has, which has been our main advantage.

Phoenix might be a close second, only because I feel like Booker seems to be hyper motivated against us for some reason. Same thing with Zion and i find it interesting and strange lol.

Other than that, no other team round 1 is scary, maybe a motivated Lakers team?

I also highly doubt this team finishes low enough to play Denver round 1 again, but they are obviously scary no matter what

Funny you say that. Denver has injuries to KCP and Murray that could be minor (back soon,) or could be major (miss weeks or more.) I could see the Nuggets slipping to 7th if those players miss time. From there all it would take is us falling to 2nd and boom, reverse of last year with slight seed modifications (2 vs 7 instead of 1 vs 8.)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#7 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:17 pm

I started listening to JJ Redick’s “Old Man and the Three” podcast, and on their “Teams to Watch after the All Star break” episode was the Timberwolves. Unfortunately, JJ’s first question was about how Rudy Gobert would get exposed in the playoffs again, and the teams that MIN can’t match up with are PHX and LAC.

It’s very disappointing, and what I hear from people that haven’t watched the wolves at all. In fact, neither host made any mention of the Wolves recent blow out win over the Clippers, when Ty Lue tried three different offenses in the first quarter, and none worked. I guess they literally haven’t watched the Wolves before the All Star break.
Guest84
Senior

Post#8 » by Guest84 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:37 pm

shrink wrote:I started listening to JJ Redick’s “Old Man and the Three” podcast, and on their “Teams to Watch after the All Star break” episode was the Timberwolves. Unfortunately, JJ’s first question was about how Rudy Gobert would get exposed in the playoffs again, and the teams that MIN can’t match up with are PHX and LAC.

It’s very disappointing, and what I hear from people that haven’t watched the wolves at all. In fact, neither host made any mention of the Wolves recent blow out win over the Clippers, when Ty Lue tried three different offenses in the first quarter, and none worked. I guess they literally haven’t watched the Wolves before the All Star break.

I don't understand the infatuation with the Clippers right now. I understand they have Harden now but what exactly have those players outside of Kawhi proven?? They also conveniently swept that Clips blowout under the rug cause it didn't fit the narrative they were pushing.

At this point, I hope our team has an "I took it personally" moment and runs the table. The Rudy narrative is also old and stale. I've only seen a select few pods debate it and mention that the wolves have better perimeter defenders than that Utah team. Honestly, like Phx in prior years, the Clips have lost to our wolves in the play-in and also couldn't get past Luka. So they have a lot to prove too.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#9 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:49 pm

Guest84 wrote:
shrink wrote:I started listening to JJ Redick’s “Old Man and the Three” podcast, and on their “Teams to Watch after the All Star break” episode was the Timberwolves. Unfortunately, JJ’s first question was about how Rudy Gobert would get exposed in the playoffs again, and the teams that MIN can’t match up with are PHX and LAC.

I don't understand the infatuation with the Clippers right now. I understand they have Harden now but what exactly have those players outside of Kawhi proven?? They also conveniently swept that Clips blowout under the rug cause it didn't fit the narrative they were pushing.

At this point, I hope our team has an "I took it personally" moment and runs the table. The Rudy narrative is also old and stale. I've only seen a select few pods debate it and mention that the wolves have better perimeter defenders than that Utah team. Honestly, like Phx in prior years, the Clips have lost to our wolves in the play-in and also couldn't get past Luka. So they have a lot to prove too.

The Clippers are deep like us. Rus is playing better than anyone expected. Norman Powell is legit. Their backup bigs are not super scary for us, but Theis and Plumley can both hold their own against backup bigs. I think the problem for the Clippers is they don’t match up well against us or the Nuggets. OKC has an interesting mix of shooters but their lack of size could be exploited by LAC. If I was LAC I am praying for smaller teams including OKC, Phoenix, ect…
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#10 » by frankenwolf » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:57 pm

If the playoffs started today, here is the seeding:

1) Timberwolves
2) Clippers
3) New Orleans
4) Thunder
5) Denver
6) Suns
7) Mavericks
8) Kings
9) Lakers
10) Warriors

Not projecting the play-in games, just going off the current seedings, the Wolves would play the Kings, then the winner of OKC/Denver. If the higher seeds win out, then the wolves would have to play the Pels.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
winforlose
General Manager

Post#11 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:03 pm

frankenwolf wrote:If the playoffs started today, here is the seeding:

1) Timberwolves
2) Clippers
3) New Orleans
4) Thunder
5) Denver
6) Suns
7) Mavericks
8) Kings
9) Lakers
10) Warriors

Not projecting the play-in games, just going off the current seedings, the Wolves would play the Kings, then the winner of OKC/Denver. If the higher seeds win out, then the wolves would have to play the Pels.

You made a few mistake. You flipped the Pels and the Nuggets. Also the Suns are 5th and the Pels are 6th. Finally the Thunder are 2nd and the Clippers are 3rd.

1. Timberwolves
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Nuggets
5. Suns
6. Pelicans
7. Mavericks
8. Kings
9. Lakers
10. Warriors

Using accurate info the Wolves would play the Kings then the winner of Denver and Phoenix. This means we can play the Pels or Thunder but not both.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#12 » by frankenwolf » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:16 pm

winforlose wrote:

1) Timberwolves
2) Clippers
3) New Orleans
4) Thunder
5) Denver
6) Suns
7) Mavericks
8) Kings
9) Lakers
10) Warriors

You made a few mistake. You flipped the Pels and the Nuggets. Also the Suns are 5th and the Pels are 6th. Finally the Thunder are 2nd and the Clippers are 3rd.

1. Timberwolves
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Nuggets
5. Suns
6. Pelicans
7. Mavericks
8. Kings
9. Lakers
10. Warriors

Using accurate info the Wolves would play the Kings then the winner of Denver and Phoenix. This means we can play the Pels or Thunder but not both.

Dang, I thought that each division winner had a top three seeding, then ranked by W/L. Sorry
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 360

Post#13 » by Sealab2024 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 pm

winforlose wrote:

1) Timberwolves
2) Clippers
3) New Orleans
4) Thunder
5) Denver
6) Suns
7) Mavericks
8) Kings
9) Lakers
10) Warriors

1. Timberwolves
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Nuggets
5. Suns
6. Pelicans
7. Mavericks
8. Kings
9. Lakers
10. Warriors

No re-seeding after the first round?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#14 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:22 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

1) Timberwolves
2) Clippers
3) New Orleans
4) Thunder
5) Denver
6) Suns
7) Mavericks
8) Kings
9) Lakers
10) Warriors

1. Timberwolves
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Nuggets
5. Suns
6. Pelicans
7. Mavericks
8. Kings
9. Lakers
10. Warriors

No re-seeding after the first round?

99% sure that doesn’t happen in the NBA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#15 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:22 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
winforlose wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:Not projecting the play-in games, just going off the current seedings, the Wolves would play the Kings, then the winner of OKC/Denver. If the higher seeds win out, then the wolves would have to play the Pels.

Dang, I thought that each division winner had a top three seeding, then ranked by W/L. Sorry

That changed a few years ago.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,409

Post#16 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:27 am

In ordeer of teams that scare me as a Timberwolves fan.

1. Denver
2. Clippers
3. Suns
4. Pelicans
5. Thunder
6. Mavericks
7. Kings
8. Lakers
9. Warriors

I think any of those teams could actually beat us. Nothing is a lock. Teams 1-5 have a fair chance to beat us IMO. Mavs could but it would be harder. Kings, Lakers, and Warriors I would feel more comfortable against but I would never put anything above AD and Lebron or the Warriors turning back the clock for seven games enough to get it done.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Guest84
Senior

Post#17 » by Guest84 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 pm

Idk if this wolves team would want to see LBJ in the playoffs. IQ is way too high. The nuggets had Jokic to match that IQ but are the wolves disciplined enough to compete/win?? Can our bigs consistently match/beat Davis' output? I'd feel more comfortable against the Clips than the Lakers.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#18 » by shrink » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:34 pm

We have beaten every team I used to worry about - sometimes by a lot. I don’t care who we face. Bring them on.

On the other hand, there are several teams who should be hoping to avoid playing the Wolves. OKC doesn’t have the size. DEN’s advantages (size, Murray-Jokic tandem) get negated by MIN being even bigger and our good perimeter defenders, plus they have no one to guard Ant. We just saw Ty Lue experiment with three different sets against MIN in the first quarter, and all of them failed.
Guest84
Senior

Post#19 » by Guest84 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:51 pm

shrink wrote:We have beaten every team I used to worry about - sometimes by a lot. I don’t care who we face. Bring them on.

On the other hand, there are several teams who should be hoping to avoid playing the Wolves. OKC doesn’t have the size. DEN’s advantages (size, Murray-Jokic tandem) get negated by MIN being even bigger and our good perimeter defenders, plus they have no one to guard Ant. We just saw Ty Lue experiment with three different sets against MIN in the first quarter, and all of them failed.

While I tend to agree, wolves are still in a "prove it" situation. Reg season is def diff from the playoffs where teams can game plan for you. I can't wait to see it though.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:09 pm

Calinks wrote:In ordeer of teams that scare me as a Timberwolves fan.

1. Denver
2. Clippers
3. Suns
4. Pelicans
5. Thunder
6. Mavericks
7. Kings
8. Lakers
9. Warriors

I think any of those teams could actually beat us. Nothing is a lock. Teams 1-5 have a fair chance to beat us IMO. Mavs could but it would be harder. Kings, Lakers, and Warriors I would feel more comfortable against but I would never put anything above AD and Lebron or the Warriors turning back the clock for seven games enough to get it done.

No reason to be scared. We play them and do our best, but at the end of the day it's just basketball. :D :evil:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves