Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,918

Re: Game 57 Nets at Wolves 2/24/24 39-17 

Post#61 » by KGdaBom » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:37 pm

A1FromDay1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Movics wrote:These guys cover a huge percentage of the ball with their hands, so I agree with the rule. We would just have longer games because of the extra free throws. At least one rule that helps defense over offense.

So you should be able to hit your opponents hands. What if you break their bones while doing it? I don't get it. If you can't get the ball clean you can't get it.

It's also hard to judge if one hits the other guy's pinky finger or not.

I just don't like the rule giving players free rein to whack at their opponents hands.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#62 » by KGdaBom » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:40 pm

winforlose wrote:
shangrila wrote:I don't want to go negative on Towns, since I do think he's been a positive for us this season, but this is fairly telling:

Read on Twitter

Like...you're the greatest shooting big man in history (apparently). SHOOT THE **** BALL! How many times do you have to do the baby giraffe flaildance before you realise it not only doesn't put the ball in the basket but also actively leads to turnovers that hurt the team?

Other side of the coin. Karl went to the free throw line 8 times tonight. A lot of his turnovers occur with a ton of contact. Karl is 87.5% free throw shooter, and I believe he shoots well both at the rim and on the floater/hook from between 5-12 feet in the paint. Karl took 8 3s tonight and made 4. Would I like to see him shoot 10, sure. But Karl had one less point than Ant on 6 less shots and 1 less free throw. Finally, how many of those kick outs have guys miss the shot or not complete the pass (leading to a turnover on Karl.) I am not saying there is no merit to this. I am saying the story isn’t being properly told.

KAT scores a lot of points on drives and this idea that he shouldn't drive is IMO ridiculous.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#63 » by KGdaBom » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:42 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Not a nice win but we take it. Lucky ANT, KAT amd Mike find some rythms and shoot pretty well second half. But we have been lucky too that Brooklin did not shoot well at 3.

It wasn't particularly pretty, but all wins are nice. Brooklyn shooting horribly was why we won and hopefully our defense had a lot to do with them shooting horribly.
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#64 » by A1FromDay1 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:10 pm

shangrila wrote:I don't want to go negative on Towns, since I do think he's been a positive for us this season, but this is fairly telling:

Read on Twitter

Like...you're the greatest shooting big man in history (apparently). SHOOT THE **** BALL! How many times do you have to do the baby giraffe flaildance before you realise it not only doesn't put the ball in the basket but also actively leads to turnovers that hurt the team?

Just what I've been saying for a wihle now. Glad to see some stats about it and I'm actually surprised Towns is 36th in total drives.

More Dirk and less baby giraffe flaildance, please! (I love it, it's better than the 'headless chicken' comparison I was using).
Homo homini lupus est.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,617

Post#65 » by TimberKat » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:37 pm

I feel like most good teams have a few signature plays with counter moves. I don't know what ours are when Gobert is not in the game. Or is the NBA now just play iso with their star players with kick out 3pt shots?
Sealab2024
Junior
And1: 507

Post#66 » by Sealab2024 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:57 pm

TimberKat wrote:I feel like most good teams have a few signature plays with counter moves. I don't know what ours are when Gobert is not in the game. Or is the NBA now just play iso with their star players with kick out 3pt shots?

The play you see us run a lot is the double high screen where both big guys set a pick at the top of the key. Sometimes one big dives while the other pops, sometimes it's a delayed dive one after the other, when it's KAT and Naz they sometimes both pop. All depends. That's kind of our bread and butter. We also run a single high screen and roll with Mike and Rudy sometimes.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#67 » by minimus » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:19 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I feel like most good teams have a few signature plays with counter moves. I don't know what ours are when Gobert is not in the game. Or is the NBA now just play iso with their star players with kick out 3pt shots?

The play you see us run a lot is the double high screen where both big guys set a pick at the top of the key. Sometimes one big dives while the other pops, sometimes it's a delayed dive one after the other, when it's KAT and Naz they sometimes both pop. All depends. That's kind of our bread and butter. We also run a single high screen and roll with Mike and Rudy sometimes.

A few MIN plays I have identified:

- flex action + empty side pick n roll (Conley+Gobert)
- double high screen for Ant (77 in GSW playbook)
- horns + exit
- split action for Edwards + rim attack
- split action for Towns + pick n pop
- back screen for Towns pick n pop and three point
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#68 » by KGdaBom » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:34 pm

minimus wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:

- horns + exit

You guys with all the X and O's are way beyond my level. I just like to watch.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,617

Post#69 » by TimberKat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:37 pm

minimus wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:

- horns + exit

All those plays are for Ant and Towns. What happens when they aren't in the line up? Also, when the initial action fail (or if the defense take away the action) do we have a counter move? Such as the pick and pop with Towns. If defense double team Towns, the open guy will roll to the middle. Or maybe we reset and run something else? (I am asking because I can't see that level of detail in real-time and don't want to spend time rewind and watch again). Also, if Ant dribble the ball for 15 seconds, do we really have time to reset?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,604

Post#70 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:20 pm

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:The play you see us run a lot is the double high screen where both big guys set a pick at the top of the key. Sometimes one big dives while the other pops, sometimes it's a delayed dive one after the other, when it's KAT and Naz they sometimes both pop. All depends. That's kind of our bread and butter. We also run a single high screen and roll with Mike and Rudy sometimes.

- horns + exit

All those plays are for Ant and Towns. What happens when they aren't in the line up? Also, when the initial action fail (or if the defense take away the action) do we have a counter move? Such as the pick and pop with Towns. If defense double team Towns, the open guy will roll to the middle. Or maybe we reset and run something else? (I am asking because I can't see that level of detail in real-time and don't want to spend time rewind and watch again). Also, if Ant dribble the ball for 15 seconds, do we really have time to reset?

You saw stretches without either. You saw actions being run when they were not. But you also saw a Morris and Mike drive and kick which was beautiful. The problem with organized chaos is that Finch doesn’t want guys following a script. He believes unpredictably is more important than the consistency that follows from running a set offense. The consequences are that the chaos really means discretion, and when Ant is on ball with that discretion, he often abuses it. I posted the link to Howls and Growls latest video which briefly examines how it looks (the good, the bad, and the ugly.)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves