ImageImageImage

OT: Minnesota Lynx question

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

OT: Minnesota Lynx question 

Post#1 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:52 pm

Hello. With the news that Caitlin Clark declaring for the draft, I’m thinking about heading down from Winnipeg with my daughter to watch the game on July 14. Just had a quick question about the team - do they only sell tickets for the lower bowl, or is there a chance that they will open the full arena for that game?

Since Minneapolis isn’t too far from Des Moines, I’m anticipating that it will be a packed house. Would make sense to sell more tickets for that game.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I am rooting so hard for the Wolves to make the Finals, because it might be my only chance at seeing my Celtics (if they can make it there) in a playoff game at a reasonable price.

PPS - Anthony Edwards has the best basketball shoe out on the market right now. My daughter loves her pair. We are huge fans of his.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,723

Re: OT: Minnesota Lynx question 

Post#2 » by shrink » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:39 pm

Be sure you can even get tickets from a secondary market. All five days of the Women’s Big Ten tournament are sold out, which has never happened before.

Want to hear something crazy? I tried to get tickets for her regular season game against Minnesota, six weeks before the event. Unfortunately for me, the university had sold out their tickets to that game long ago. I have heard that when the gophers sell tickets to all the other women’s BB games, they are so poorly attended that students can go for free, simply by showing up with a student ID.

Caitlyn Clark though is the show. Every game she has played, whether the arena is close to Iowa or not, has set a record in attendance. People were lined up four hours ahead of time in Madison to try to get a ticket, so good luck!
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#3 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:48 pm

shrink wrote:Be sure you can even get tickets from a secondary market. All five days of the Women’s Big Ten tournament are sold out, which has never happened before.

Want to hear something crazy? I tried to get tickets for her regular season game against Minnesota, six weeks before the event. Unfortunately for me, the university had sold out their tickets to that game long ago. I have heard that when the gophers sell tickets to other women’s BB games, they are so poorly attended, that students can go for free, simply by showing up with a student ID.

Caitlyn Clark though is the show. Every game she has played, whether the arena is close to Iowa or not, has set a record in attendance. People were lined up four hours ahead of time in Madison to try to get a ticket, so good luck!

Oh, my bad. I was referring to the WNBA game, not the Big 10 tournament. For the Lynx game when the Fever are in town on July 14. I’m making the safe assumption that Indiana is taking her #1 in the draft. Lol.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#4 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:56 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Hello. With the news that Caitlin Clark declaring for the draft, I’m thinking about heading down from Winnipeg with my daughter to watch the game on July 14. Just had a quick question about the team - do they only sell tickets for the lower bowl, or is there a chance that they will open the full arena for that game?

Since Minneapolis isn’t too far from Des Moines, I’m anticipating that it will be a packed house. Would make sense to sell more tickets for that game.

Thanks in advance.

I think your instincts are correct.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 am

Lynx select offensive machine Alissa Pili from Utah at pick 8 overall. She scored 37 against national champs South Carolina and 35 in their NCAA tournament game against Gonzaga.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#6 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

Really good 3 level scorer. Can pass a bit. Her big test will be if she’s playable on defense.

The key to our draft was trading down one spot to get Chicago's 1st round pick next year because they coveted Angel Reese.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 am

BlacJacMac wrote:Really good 3 level scorer. Can pass a bit. Her big test will be if she’s playable on defense.

The key to our draft was trading down one spot to get Chicago's 1st round pick next year because they covered Angel Reese.

I don't pay attention to college basketball at all. I'd heard of Caitlyn Clark and Paige Bueckers because she's a Minnesotan. The Lynx have lost about a million players over the last year and some of them big names.

On the trade was it assumed we would have taken Reese if not for the trade and is Pili a big step down from Reese to justify them giving up the first round pick?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 am

Reese is a bigger name, but Pili seems to be a better fit for what Minnesota is building.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:01 pm

I think Pili might struggle to find minutes. My guess is she plays 5-8 MPG barring injury.

She's super fun to watch, but she's barely 5'11 and going to have to be defending women that are significantly taller (and quicker) than she is. She's going to have to be an amazingly efficient scorer to be a positive.

There was a very clear consensus Top 7 in this draft (with a number of teams coveting Reese and/or Edwards), which is why Reeve was able to extract such a high price for the pick. There wasn't anyone left guaranteed to even make the team at 8, so this draft was all about the pick swap with Chicago and a legit chance at Bueckers next year.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I think Pili might struggle to find minutes. My guess is she plays 5-8 MPG barring injury.

She's super fun to watch, but she's barely 5'11 and going to have to be defending women that are significantly taller (and quicker) than she is. She's going to have to be an amazingly efficient scorer to be a positive.

There was a very clear consensus Top 7 in this draft (with a number of teams coveting Reese and/or Edwards), which is why Reeve was able to extract such a high price for the pick. There wasn't anyone left guaranteed to even make the team at 8, so this draft was all about the pick swap with Chicago and a legit chance at Bueckers next year.

OK I'm figuring this out. We didn't get Chicago's 1st round pick next year we got a right to pick swap with Chicago. Is that correct? Drafting isn't such an exact science that we can say the best 7 players in the draft will be the first 7 players selected. I saw video of Reeve making the selection and she seemed very excited. It is very possible we got one of the 5 best players in the draft at pick 8. I have read that some do question Pili's defensive game, but she's listed at 6"2" not 5'11". 3 inches is a huge discrepancy. Of course then we have to look into whether those are measurements barefoot, in shoes or on a pogo stick.
I really hope she does make the team and gets decent minutes because as you say she's going to be a lot of fun to watch and cheer for.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 pm

Researching Pili a bit more gets very interesting. She's of Samoan and Inupiaq heritage. She's a wide bodied athlete known for setting very strong picks. This is what she wore to the WNBA draft in honor of her heritage and revealing some serious tattoos.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alissa-pili-honors-her-heritage-161057415.html#:~:text=The%20Alaska%20native%2C%20who%20is,paid%20homage%20to%20her%20heritage.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

From the Lynx official website. She's a very good shooter.

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – On Monday, the Minnesota Lynx selected Alissa Pili from the University of Utah with the eighth overall pick in the 2024 WNBA Draft. The Lynx later chose the University of Louisville’s Kiki Jefferson in the third round (31st overall) to complete the evening.

Pili (PEE-lee), a 6-2 forward, split her five-year college career between USC and Utah, earning All-Pac-12 honors three times and being named the conference’s Player of the Year in 2022-23 and Freshman of the Year in 2019-20. She averaged 21.4 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game this past season, shooting 55.0% from the floor, 40.4% (57-for-141) from three-point range and 82.0% from the free throw line. The Anchorage, Alaska native tallied 30+ points five times in 2023-24, highlighted by a career-best 37-point effort vs. South Carolina on Dec. 10, and added 35 points in Utah’s NCAA Tournament loss at Gonzaga on Mar. 25. At the conclusion of her senior campaign, Pili garnered All-America Second Team honors by The Athletic and All-American Third Team by AP, Sporting News and USBWA and was named a finalist for the Wooden Award Top 15 and the Katrina McClain Award Top 5.

“Alissa adds a skill set that we felt our team needed,” said Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations Cheryl Reeve, “Her overall shooting efficiency is a valuable add to our roster and we look forward to acclimating her into the Lynx.”
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I think Pili might struggle to find minutes. My guess is she plays 5-8 MPG barring injury.

I haven't closely followed the W in a few years, but shorter bigs have had success in the past. Pili reminds me a bit of Janel McCarville, who was also 6'1". That was a decade ago and maybe things have changed, but I think she can find a role.

I do agree with the overall premise that she might not log a lot of playing time as a rookie, but that has less to do with her height in my opinion.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 pm

Klomp wrote:

I haven't closely followed the W in a few years, but shorter bigs have had success in the past. Pili reminds me a bit of Janel McCarville, who was also 6'1". That was a decade ago and maybe things have changed, but I think she can find a role.

I do agree with the overall premise that she might not log a lot of playing time as a rookie, but that has less to do with her height in my opinion.

Janel McCarville was super talented and went #1 overall in the WNBA draft. Watching Gophers women's basketball when she and Whalen played together was a lot of fun.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

OK I'm figuring this out. We didn't get Chicago's 1st round pick next year we got a right to pick swap with Chicago. Is that correct? Drafting isn't such an exact science that we can say the best 7 players in the draft will be the first 7 players selected. I saw video of Reeve making the selection and she seemed very excited. It is very possible we got one of the 5 best players in the draft at pick 8. I have read that some do question Pili's defensive game, but she's listed at 6"2" not 5'11". 3 inches is a huge discrepancy. Of course then we have to look into whether those are measurements barefoot, in shoes or on a pogo stick.

Pili, in her own words: "I'm 5'11 on a good day".

As far as consensus, here is a direct quote from Leo Sun, who covers the Lynx for Canis, is regularly around the team and has a very good relationship with Reeve:

When I asked Reeve about her thoughts about moving down to 8, she expressed real confidence that most teams had the same top 7, including the Lynx. If they felt strongly enough about Reese, or even Edwards, they wouldn't have risked missing out. Obviously there's a lot of value with that '26 first round swap, but if she felt one of those fringe top 7 players was a game changer, then maybe she would've even tried to move up.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Here's highlights from her 37 point game against South Carolina. I'm impressed by her being quite good with both hands, good ball handling and how she uses her body to her advantage. Her jumper/outside shot seems to come from her chest. She's going to have to be wide open to get those off in the WNBA and I wonder how correctable that would be. She's been playing for a lot of years now.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Pili, in her own words: "I'm 5'11 on a good day".

As far as consensus, here is a direct quote from Leo Sun, who covers the Lynx for Canis, is regularly around the team and has a very good relationship with Reeve:

When I asked Reeve about her thoughts about moving down to 8, she expressed real confidence that most teams had the same top 7, including the Lynx. If they felt strongly enough about Reese, or even Edwards, they wouldn't have risked missing out. Obviously there's a lot of value with that '26 first round swap, but if she felt one of those fringe top 7 players was a game changer, then maybe she would've even tried to move up.

Well she's listed at 6'2". Stupid basketball heights that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Watching her highlights she's super skilled and as you said fun to watch.
I don't care that much about consensus. Once they're in the league it's what they do on the court that matters. We also got a 2nd round pick in the deal.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#18 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:03 am

If I understand this right her High School team was named the Lynx. She's going to score a point a minute.
https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2024/04/17/athlete-week-alissa-pili-dimond-lynx-minnesota-lynx/

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves