ImageImageImage

Bench kat?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Bench kat? 

Post#1 » by guest81 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:02 pm

I think the 2 bigs lineup is just not going to with in this series. Kat on allen is something the suns just exploited over and over. On the other side, refs don't allow you to just bully a smaller player so kat just gets called for offensive fouls. Could you bring him off the bench for Rudy as a 5 and try to exploit bol bol or whoever the Suns will play as their backup 5?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,530

Re: Bench kat? 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 pm

I didn’t catch any of the Suns games this year, but if we have to bench KAT to matchup with Grayson Allen, we’re probably in trouble. That should be a matchup we can exploit, not hide from.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#3 » by m2002brian » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:36 pm

Should have been coming off the bench since he came back. Then worked in slowly. Way too late in the season to be disrupting the offensive and defensive chemistry of the team.

KAT was so lost on defense last game and was an offensive foul waiting to happen on the other end.
BLUEGREENRED
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,983

Post#4 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:47 pm

m2002brian wrote:Should have been coming off the bench since he came back. Then worked in slowly. Way too late in the season to be disrupting the offensive and defensive chemistry of the team.

I'm not sure that would have made any difference.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Guest84
Senior
And1: 368

Post#5 » by Guest84 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm

Finch was never going to bench Kat. Especially not after Ant "publicly" said that it allows Naz to go back to the bench. Now, could he sub him for different stretches? Possibly but he's not coming off the bench.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#6 » by m2002brian » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 pm

Klomp wrote:
m2002brian wrote:Should have been coming off the bench since he came back. Then worked in slowly. Way too late in the season to be disrupting the offensive and defensive chemistry of the team.

I'm not sure that would have made any difference.

Against Phoenix? Maybe not. But as a whole that’s how you work guys back in late in season.
If he was out 20 games and we had 20 games to go, put him back in starting and let the team resync. But, 2 games left and playoff seeding on the line, you don’t **** with chemistry.
BLUEGREENRED
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 436

Post#7 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 am

Things are pretty simple on my opinion. We all knew when KAT return that our defense will be weaker. But we all expect our offense will get much more power. Let's see. If KAT is unable to score 20-25 each game, season may ended soon.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 154

Post#8 » by Loaf_of_bread » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 am

Finch needs to get creative, or we are rolled in 6, maybe 5 games. Cannot run our typical lineup and expect a different result.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,778

Post#9 » by shrink » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:We all knew when KAT return that our defense will be weaker

I’m not even sure that’s true. Naz is a foul-happy worse defender than Towns, but maybe team defense will drop with less SloMo?
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#10 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 am

If anything our best shot is to bench Gobert not KAT and run McDaniels at PF with NAW at SF. It would make 5 out possible and we could actually thwart their 5 out as well.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#11 » by Loaf_of_bread » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 am

Note30 wrote:If anything our best shot is to bench Gobert not KAT and run McDaniels at PF with NAW at SF. It would make 5 out possible and we could actually thwart their 5 out as well.

That is a bit out there, but I'm open to anything.

Id try gobert, Towns, Edwards, jmac/Morris, mconley.

2nd unit: mix of starters, naz, naw, jaden, jmac/morris.

Don't play Kyle.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 436

Post#12 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 am

We all agree about one thing. Limiting Slomo min is probably mandatory. When him and Rudy are on the field together, our offense really struggling.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#13 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:39 am

I think we need the one big line up against their shooter Gobert/Towns (if he is ready), JMcd, NAW, Ant, Conley to start. Bring Towns, NAZ, Morris off the bench. JMcL, TJ for spot match up.

Ant needs to drive close to and draw two defenders then kick the ball out instead of try to fight thru 2 or 3 guys to take a shot. Make Suns scramble more on D, like they did to us.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#14 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:We all agree about one thing. Limiting Slomo min is probably mandatory. When him and Rudy are on the field together, our offense really struggling.

There were time where Gobert/KA works but just not against the Suns starting 5 because we can't play D.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#15 » by Loaf_of_bread » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 am

TimberKat wrote:I think we need the one big line up against their shooter Gobert/Towns (if he is ready), JMcd, NAW, Ant, Conley to start. Bring Towns, NAZ, Morris off the bench. JMcL, TJ for spot match up.

Ant needs to drive close to and draw two defenders then kick the ball out instead of try to fight thru 2 or 3 guys to take a shot. Make Suns scramble more on D, like they did to us.

Anything, anything... I'm good trying this also.

Guarantee we lose running our standard lineup
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,272

Post#16 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 pm

Loaf_of_bread wrote:Anything, anything... I'm good trying this also.

Guarantee we lose running our standard lineup

Wolves played Phoenix three times. The result being three losses. If Finch cannot come up with a gameplan, it's on him. Since Sunday's game, he will have had four or five days to look over film of how other teams were able to overcome the Suns.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 368

Post#17 » by gandlogo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pm

I'd go KAT, Naz, Anderson, McDaniels, and Ant - length, versatility on offense and defense, good amount of shooting and spacing. Anderson gets the nod over NAW because he's a better facilitator and NAW brings some scoring off the bench more so than Anderson. Bench is Rudy, Mike, and NAW - that's it. Rotations are shortened in the playoffs, so just eight hit the floor.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,064

Post#18 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 pm

gandlogo wrote:I'd go KAT, Naz, Anderson, McDaniels, and Ant - length, versatility on offense and defense, good amount of shooting and spacing. Anderson gets the nod over NAW because he's a better facilitator and NAW brings some scoring off the bench more so than Anderson. Bench is Rudy, Mike, and NAW - that's it. Rotations are shortened in the playoffs, so just eight hit the floor.

Naz Reid or Karl-Anthony Towns on Kevin Durant feels like a disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion. What will happen is Phoenix would go fully small with Rudy Gobert out, putting Kevin Durant at Center.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,983

Post#19 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm

Domejandro wrote:
gandlogo wrote:I'd go KAT, Naz, Anderson, McDaniels, and Ant - length, versatility on offense and defense, good amount of shooting and spacing. Anderson gets the nod over NAW because he's a better facilitator and NAW brings some scoring off the bench more so than Anderson. Bench is Rudy, Mike, and NAW - that's it. Rotations are shortened in the playoffs, so just eight hit the floor.

Naz Reid or Karl-Anthony Towns on Kevin Durant feels like a disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion. What will happen is Phoenix would go fully small with Rudy Gobert out, putting Kevin Durant at Center.

I saw someone say they should consider putting Rudy on Durant, and I actually think it's an interesting option.

Gobert is the only player we have who can exceed Durant in length. And Durant isn't really a driver any more, this year his free throws attempted are the lowest average since his rookie year. He's looking to shoot over guys. Gobert's length can neutralize that somewhat. But where it really makes a difference is that it normalizes the rest of our matchups. Towns is fine guarding Nurkic. Have Conley chase Allen. McDaniels can check Booker and Ant can defend Beal.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,496

Post#20 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 pm

I have a couple different takes from you guys.

1. Our biggest failing in all 3 games was the first quarter. We were fine in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and the fourth usually involved non competitive garbage time for large chunks. The biggest issue in the first quarter isn’t on defense, it is turnovers. We can defend the Suns in the half court way better than in transition. Moreover, tired legs effect shooting. Giving the ball away means the Suns don’t spend as much time on defense, and they don’t get worn down the way we do. Taking care of the ball is priority 1.

2. The problem with our playing big is we aren’t getting the big ball benefits. We cannot give up 13 offensive rebounds to a small ball lineup. We cannot let their guards keep us off the offensive glass, I know Finch doesn’t like guys staying down for offensive boards, but that is the size advantage at work. Get second and third attempts, and keep the ball away from the suns offense for longer stretches. Moreover, Rudy cannot let Nurk or Eubanks or anyone else deny him the catch. Throw the ball up when Rudy is on the roll and let him jump up and slam it down. Chest passes, or even head level passes are opportunities for smaller defenders to play defense against bigger players. Finally, use the actual size of the big bodies to set better screens. Ant can get open looks with better off ball movement and screens. Mike can get anything he wants and even Karl can wide open 3s playing pick and pop with Rudy and or Naz. We don’t need to go small, we need to PLAY big.

3. We need to stop letting perfect be the enemy of good. Rudy trying to be perfect on D and closing out to Nurk or Eubanks in the corner is silly. There is a reason teams back off of Kyle when has the ball in the corner. Likewise, Karl trying to chase Allen or Ant trying to guard KD are mistakes. When they have the speed advantage use the length and size advantage and play a modified zone. It is easier in the playoffs when you can structure your defense against only one team at a time, but Rudy should always have a plan to stay down or get down quickly. Make the Suns take a ton of threes and rebound the ball. Maybe they hit 20 in a game, but in another they will hit 15 or less. Plan for long rebounds, and limit them to one shot per possession. It is okay to give up an open shot from an average shooter (midrange Beal,) to avoid giving up an open corner 3 from Allen.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves