ImageImageImage

WCQ Game 1: Phoenix at Minnesota, 2:30 pm Saturday

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,590

Re: WCQ Game 1: Phoenix at Minnesota, 2:30 pm Saturday 

Post#281 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:07 am

Good win. Now sweep us and end our miserable season please.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,531

Post#282 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:18 am

Guest84 wrote:Just finished the game…absolutely fantastic! Loved it. Ant going at kd was fun…but let me tell you, NAW and NAZ are some of my absolute favorites.

I think this is a hard matchup for Mike though. Played uncharacteristically bad today.

He was off from the jump. I think it was just a power outage game for him. Maybe he overhyped himself and just needs to relax. Karl and Jaden both had GREAT games as well. Jaden’s defense and rebounding was next level in this one. Karl having 19 points on 9 shots while also rebounding well and dropping dimes is exactly what you want from Karl in this one. He didn’t shoot enough 3s, but that will come with time.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#283 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:35 am

I just realized, Ant outscored KD by 2, Karl outscored Booker by 1, and NAW outscored Beal by 3.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,412

Post#284 » by younggunsmn » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:50 am

winforlose wrote:
Guest84 wrote:Just finished the game…absolutely fantastic! Loved it. Ant going at kd was fun…but let me tell you, NAW and NAZ are some of my absolute favorites.

I think this is a hard matchup for Mike though. Played uncharacteristically bad today.

He was off from the jump. I think it was just a power outage game for him. Maybe he overhyped himself and just needs to relax. Karl and Jaden both had GREAT games as well. Jaden’s defense and rebounding was next level in this one. Karl having 19 points on 9 shots while also rebounding well and dropping dimes is exactly what you want from Karl in this one. He didn’t shoot enough 3s, but that will come with time.

Mike's shot was not falling, but his defense was phenomenal.
He was standing guys up on drives and cuts all game long, playing very very physical against bigger players.

His leadership set the tone for the rest of the team.

He will can the big shots when we need him to. He's been doing it all year.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 801

Post#285 » by SSUBluesman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:17 pm

Wow what a game. The guys played hard, whether it was battling inside for loose balls, Conley battling KD in the post, Ant out hustling KD for the ball up 15+, etc.

Speaking of Ant, him taking it to KD was an absolute blast to watch. You could see that he was getting up for playing against his guy KD and loving every minute of it.

I feel like this was the kind of offensive game we've wanted to see from KAT. He played slower and more under control. When he had a smaller guy on him on the perimeter he didn't try and drive by him into a crowd of guys in the lane, he backed him down and waited for the double team. He was playing in the post more, including that nice baby hook he got on KD.

Something that I think really helps us is there is a lot of overlap in the skill set of some of our guys, helping with continuity on the court and rotations. Mike and Monte, Jaden and NAW, KAT and Naz, etc.

There were quite a few times where the Suns not having a PG really hurt them offensively. I think it's wild that they went from multiple seasons of no PG, to Rubio and then CP3, to now playing Isiah Thomas in garbage time.
Naz Reid.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,782

Post#286 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:50 pm

1. Rebounding
2. Defense
3. Free Throw Shooting
4. Bench Points
5. Transition Scoring

Excel at those areas like we did and good things will happen, and it doesn't hurt to have an Ant Man on your side.

The mental edge and confidence gained by this type of win against a team that has kicked our butts is the best outcome we could've hoped for.

There were a few poor calls but this is how every game should be called and not just in the playoffs. I miss the physicality of the NBA.

Go Wolves!!!

Sent from my N152DL using RealGM mobile app
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,567

Post#287 » by TimberKat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:42 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:Wow what a game. The guys played hard, whether it was battling inside for loose balls, Conley battling KD in the post, Ant out hustling KD for the ball up 15+, etc.

Speaking of Ant, him taking it to KD was an absolute blast to watch. You could see that he was getting up for playing against his guy KD and loving every minute of it.

I feel like this was the kind of offensive game we've wanted to see from KAT. He played slower and more under control. When he had a smaller guy on him on the perimeter he didn't try and drive by him into a crowd of guys in the lane, he backed him down and waited for the double team. He was playing in the post more, including that nice baby hook he got on KD.

Something that I think really helps us is there is a lot of overlap in the skill set of some of our guys, helping with continuity on the court and rotations. Mike and Monte, Jaden and NAW, KAT and Naz, etc.

There were quite a few times where the Suns not having a PG really hurt them offensively. I think it's wild that they went from multiple seasons of no PG, to Rubio and then CP3, to now playing Isiah Thomas in garbage time.

Yes, control the game, get more balanced on the shot with more shot options and pass options. Play to his strength and not trying to out speed faster players. The 3s will come.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,567

Post#288 » by TimberKat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:13 pm

It's interesting reading the Suns' posts. There is so much parallel conversations with Wolves. Two teams that needs immediate success each with 3 SuperMax contracts, no picks, and in second apron.
Same talks of too many turnovers by KD, Booker doesn't show up in playoffs when it matters, Beal overpaid and one dimensional, fire Vogel, need to blowup and start over, trade Booker while his value is still high. It just makes me wonder if all the conversations on this board are just a bunch of chatbots talking to itself in training :D
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,764

Post#289 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:54 pm

Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 156

Post#290 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:17 pm

To me, other than ant's performance, Kat stood out. Pedestrian, professional performance on the court and in interviews after the game. That is what we need from him. This series is just getting started. Ant was awesome in interviews after the game as well.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#291 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:51 pm

Loaf_of_bread wrote:To me, other than ant's performance, Kat stood out. Pedestrian, professional performance on the court and in interviews after the game. That is what we need from him. This series is just getting started. Ant was awesome in interviews after the game as well.

19/7/4 in 27 minutes on 5/9 shooting is pedestrian? Especially in his 3rd game back after missing 18. All while Finch said Karl is at best 80% in terms of playoff shape, and was chasing KD all over the floor. Dude I think pedestrian is a little harsh ;)
Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#292 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 pm

https://youtu.be/nang5LT6H20?si=hyOabk526INug4U1

Good stuff right here from NAW. Highly recommend.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#293 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:00 pm

winforlose wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:To me, other than ant's performance, Kat stood out. Pedestrian, professional performance on the court and in interviews after the game. That is what we need from him. This series is just getting started. Ant was awesome in interviews after the game as well.

19/7/4 in 27 minutes on 5/9 shooting is pedestrian? Especially in his 3rd game back after missing 18. All while Finch said Karl is at best 80% in terms of playoff shape, and was chasing KD all over the floor. Dude I think pedestrian is a little harsh ;)

Dude, you just like to ruffle feathers, just to do so. :wink:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,833

Post#294 » by shrink » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm

TimberKat wrote:It's interesting reading the Suns' posts. There is so much parallel conversations with Wolves. Two teams that needs immediate success each with 3 SuperMax contracts, no picks, and in second apron.
Same talks of too many turnovers by KD, Booker doesn't show up in playoffs when it matters, Beal overpaid and one dimensional, fire Vogel, need to blowup and start over, trade Booker while his value is still high. It just makes me wonder if all the conversations on this board are just a bunch of chatbots talking to itself in training :D

Whether a team wins or loses depends on a lot of factors, including the play of each player, the coaching, the team construction, and many more. Just like us, or any fan base, it felt to me like some of their posters were choosing a favorite scapegoat for the loss. I was surprised over on the General Board over how many posters from different fanbases focused on Durant. I thought he played better than any of them, especially some of the shots he was making over the long arms of seven footers defending him.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,300

Post#295 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:14 pm

shrink wrote:
TimberKat wrote:It's interesting reading the Suns' posts. There is so much parallel conversations with Wolves. Two teams that needs immediate success each with 3 SuperMax contracts, no picks, and in second apron.

Whether a team wins or loses depends on a lot of factors, including the play of each player, the coaching, the team construction, and many more. Just like us, or any fan base, it felt to me like some of their posters were choosing a favorite scapegoat for the loss. I was surprised over on the General Board over how many posters from different fanbases focused on Durant. I thought he played better than any of them, especially some of the shots he was making over the long arms of seven footers defending him.

Durant was typical Durant.

The problem with him, especially as he gets older, is he doesn't tilt a defense. He's going to make tough shots over anyone. That's what he does. He's going to get his unless you focus all your defense on denying him the ball and then his teammates will kill you.

So you really can guard him straight up, let him get his 30 and focus on everyone else.

He's going to shoot, and make, mostly mid range shots. He's also going to turn it over a good amount and really not make his teammates better.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#296 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:54 pm

Loaf_of_bread wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Nah I am a go along to get along guy sometimes. But I think in this case I make a valid point and would like an answer. How is 19/7/4 in 27 minutes on 5/9 shooting pedestrian?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,862

Post#297 » by KGdaBom » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:47 pm

winforlose wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Nah I am a go along to get along guy sometimes. But I think in this case I make a valid point and would like an answer. How is 19/7/4 in 27 minutes on 5/9 shooting pedestrian?

You didn't mention his 8-8 from the line last I checked.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#298 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:52 pm

winforlose wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:
winforlose wrote:

"I would like an answer"... ok, I renounce my statement, and you are right.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#299 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:21 pm

Loaf_of_bread wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:

"I would like an answer"... ok, I renounce my statement, and you are right.

Thank you. Glad we cleared that up :)
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,005

Post#300 » by wolves_89 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 pm

There a couple of big differences between the Wolves and the Suns situation. First, the Wolves have a young core of Ant, Jaden, Naz, and NAW that put them in a decent long term position, while the Suns are completely win now with little future upside. Second, the Suns are stuck in the repeater level of the luxury tax while the Wolves have no luxury tax seasons on the books (it takes 3 luxury tax years to hit repeater territory).

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves