ImageImageImage

WCSF Discussion

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,148

WCSF Discussion 

Post#1 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm

Man, what a team. I said it to my girlfriend after game 3--this is the best Timberwolves team we have ever had [I love you 2004 KG and co].

We lost last year to Denver in 5, with Anthony Edwards leaving game 5 in disgust, throwing/kicking the chair, and really that moment captured the 2022-2023 season as a whole for the Timberwolves. The Wolves are back with a vengeance, we are healthy and we have some advantages over Denver.

1) Depth

Our bench has a lot of pieces, with both NAW and Naz leading the way. Look for SlowMo to get some of the Jokic minutes as he did an admirable job on March 29th against him. This could be a Monte Morris series, playing his old team and giving us an offensive boost off our bench to keep pace with Denver's offense. There are a lot of players Monte Morris can "hide" on defensively, from Peyton/Braun/KCP/Jackson all mediocre offensive talents at best.

2) Lack of Rim Protection

ANT MAN put up 31/5/5 last year against Denver's poultry defensive back-line. He had just 8 turnovers in the entire series [compared to 26 Assists] to go along with 9 steals and 10 blocks. He is going to fill up the box-score but, more importantly, it is going to translate to winning. Small sample size alert, but last year Edwards had a +30 Net On/Off in the series, where we played Denver even when he was on the court, but we were outscored by an incredible amount when he sat.

This last point re-iterates how valuable our bench is.

3) Karl-Anthony Towns

Simply put, man needs to play like he did for 75% of the Phoenix Series compared to the foul-trouble, 25%. He can be so skilled offensively when he is playing within the offense. I like to think of him when he is at his best as a 7' Mike Conley--Lights out shooting, ability to drive and penetrate but not overzealous, a true connector offensively but also abusing his size downlow and scoring/playmaking when ANT receives a wall of defenders.

This is really going to be a crucial series for Towns since he will propel us to outscore Denver's talented offense when on the court but could also damage our offense when resting on the bench.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215

Re: WCSF Discussion 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 pm

Thank you for opening this up. I planned to do the same, since we're looking at roughly a week off until we play again. We will return to individual game threads once we get a day or two out from the series, I'm guessing.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Klomp wrote:Thank you for opening this up. I planned to do the same, since we're looking at roughly a week off until we play again. We will return to individual game threads once we get a day or two out from the series, I'm guessing.

I don't make these threads and almost reached out to you but I had a lot on my mind :lol:

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:50 pm

Another big sticking point is Jamal Murray's calf. Calf injuries, as we all know with Towns last year, can be a long lasting injury. There is a chance he doesn't even play against LAL tonight, which gives LAL another chance to extend the series.

If Jamal isn't 100%, I see little to no chance of Denver beating us.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,491

Post#5 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215

Post#6 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:10 pm

Colbinii wrote:Another big sticking point is Jamal Murray's calf. Calf injuries, as we all know with Towns last year, can be a long lasting injury. There is a chance he doesn't even play against LAL tonight, which gives LAL another chance to extend the series.

If Jamal isn't 100%, I see little to no chance of Denver beating us.

I'm glad you looked at the multiple layers of what it could mean. It's not just about whether he'll be healthy for our series, but how a potential absence affects their current series. Murray is arguably the biggest difference-maker for Denver. I think he's a big part of what makes Jokic the weapon he is.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:56 pm

With @PAOnTheMic on KFAN, here are some quotes from Micah Nori on Chris Finch:

"One thing about Finchy, he's as tough as they come. He will find any way he possibly can to be out there in any shape or fashion. Thankfully, it wasn't his mind, (Nori said while laughing); it wasn't a head injury; obviously, legs are fixable. He's still just as sharp and is able to do what he needs to do to put us in position to be successful"

Nori on his altered role with Finch injured:

"I hope that [Finch] is able to go about in a normal way, whether he has a leg brace or something, so he can do what he needs to do. A worst-case scenario that I need to be prepared for is that he would have to sit maybe behind the bench with his leg, crutches, or whatever. Essentially, he would be the maestro pulling the puppet strings, and I would be Pinocchio, the frontman, but he would tell me what to do and what to say. Unless there comes a time when I act like I don't hear him and I want to try something (Nori let out a cackle after saying that) ... If you see me standing at midcourt for an elongated period of time, that means that I'm in trouble and I'm trying to get out of earshot from him."
NUMBERICA
Sophomore
And1: 149

Post#8 » by NUMBERICA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:44 pm

Give ‘em hell, Minnesota. This is the unofficial Conference Final.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#9 » by Neeva » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:48 pm

This is the series for Karl to shine, he always plays up against Jokic and defends him fairly well. If he is gonna get real playoff redemption on the wolves it’s now or never!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,954

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully he can still coach up to his usual standards. This is one nasty injury.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,594

Post#11 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:33 am

KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully he can still coach up to his usual standards. This is one nasty injury.

I think he'll be fine, there's a full week, he just needs to be able to have it in a boot right?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,954

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:35 am

Note30 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think he'll be fine, there's a full week, he just needs to be able to have it in a boot right?

True, but under normal circumstances he would be doing some serious coaching the entire week leading up to the next series.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,540

Post#13 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Note30 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Hopefully he can still coach up to his usual standards. This is one nasty injury.

True, but under normal circumstances he would be doing some serious coaching the entire week leading up to the next series.

Coach Finch almost certainly will have to get surgery immediately, which will lead to him being unable to do any walking (even supported) for a couple weeks. It’s a pretty gnarly injury, can’t really hold off on surgery, or there’s a risk of more permanent damage.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:58 am

Note30 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

His knee in a boot?

WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,567

Post#15 » by WolfAddict » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:11 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Note30 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Hopefully he can still coach up to his usual standards. This is one nasty injury.

His knee in a boot?

I have those in black and hot pink... Very supportive :wink:
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,572

Post#16 » by guest81 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 am

I know Denver is clearly the better team, but if the Lakers manage to pull this off, you're going to have to overcome like a 40 free throw difference every game. It'll be like game 4 on steroids
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 477

Post#17 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:06 am

I would like to see the lakers having a game 6 at LA. I don’t like them but the more they give trouble to Denver the better for us.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,637

Post#18 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:21 am

guest81 wrote:I know Denver is clearly the better team, but if the Lakers manage to pull this off, you're going to have to overcome like a 40 free throw difference every game. It'll be like game 4 on steroids

After watching the Twolves, both teams looks like stuck in mud. LAL had their chances and Davis play 1/2 the game with one arm. All tie with 3 min to go
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 785

Post#19 » by Movics » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:28 am

Denver is absolutely beatable
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,637

Post#20 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:28 am

OK, bring it on DEN. Wolves better get to DEN early. Lakers were so much closer than the 4-1 record.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves