ImageImageImage

Yet another idea for our 2008 pick

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Yet another idea for our 2008 pick 

Post#1 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:50 pm

Our #1 (possibly #1 overall) to the Clippers for their #1 (currently in the 5-7 range) plus our future #1 back.

Do the Clippers do it? Do the Wolves?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,350

Post#2 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:58 pm

Interesting!

Its a tough call for me, but I suppose if I had to make a choice, I'd lean towards not doing it. I don't follow next year's draft as closely as many here, but historicly, this is a league of superstars, and your best chance for a superstar is with the highest pick.

However, I'll reserve judgement until draft night. If the rebuild looks to be going nowhere, that LAC pick might be looking a lot more like another lottery pick. It probably depends on who's on the board as well. I suppose I'm too risk-averse to trade the potential #1 pick in the draft before the lottery.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,626

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:03 pm

I probably wouldn't, I hoping to be out of the lottery by 2011.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#4 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:11 pm

Shrink I'm with you, I dont know as much about college prospects as most others do on this board. Only what I read this time of year, and I dont even really watch too much college ball. My choice for our pick is Derrick Rose, simply because of the impact good PGs have had in Utah and NO, and because there are alleged attitude issues with Mayo and Beasley. That's really the extent of my "scouting".

If there truly is a special player in this draft, like Rose or Beasley or Jordan, than this trade probably doesnt make sense for MN.

But on this board I've seen some debate about who the Wolves should take....some names I've seen are Gordon, Beasley, Hibbert, Jordan, Rose, Mayo, and Green. Now of course not all of these guys would be worthy of #1 overall, but the question is, would we be happy with one of them (whoever falls to us) if it means getting our pick back from LA?

The other factor of course is how the lottery plays out, and obviously that impacts what LAC and MN will do. I cant see MN making this trade before the lottery, but maybe the Clips would roll the dice in an attempt to get the #1 overall.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#5 » by deeney0 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:30 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I probably wouldn't, I hoping to be out of the lottery by 2011.

+1
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#6 » by revprodeji » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:16 pm

We all have your hope worm guts.

I would only do it if LAC had a top 6 pick. For me there are 6 prospects

beasley
Rose
Mayo
Jordan
Hibbert
Greene

That would help us or be picked top3(beasley) being that i see our biggest need at the 5 (and my man-crush on hibbert) I would have no problem exchanging our 1 in order to move down and either grab jordan/mayo/hibbert whoever is left.

yes, I think it is an interesting idea.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#7 » by Basti » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 am

revprodeji wrote:That would help us or be picked top3(beasley) being that i see our biggest need at the 5 (and my man-crush on hibbert) I would have no problem exchanging our 1 in order to move down and either grab jordan/mayo/hibbert whoever is left.

yes, I think it is an interesting idea.

though it's hard to pass up on potential franchise saving players it's quite enticing to have no draft debts anymore. but only if the clips have a top6 pick as you say it
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 am

I couldn't post this on the "I had a dream" thread because I'm below the 2 drink minimum, so I'll put it here.

I had a dream that we traded our first rounder to the Clippers for their's and our future first back. Then, through ping-pong ball magic, the Clippers pick ended up #1 and ours was #4 so we got the #1 pick AND our future pick back. It was very sweet, indeed.
JBoog35
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by JBoog35 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 am

I would do it in a heart beat. I don't want the #1 overall pick because then we are going to draft on a position we are already loaded or draft a need too high. If we move down a few we can draft out position of need in DeAndre Jordan.

Last thing, Rev you mentioned 6 people. I think there are 7...and to be absolutley honest. My favorite wing player in college is Eric Gordon. The kid is just as good as a scorer as Mayo, but doesn't have to force the shots. The guy has also got some major hops. The more I watch Gordon, the more impressed I am of him, more so than Mayo or Rose.
"Dude, all I am saying is we already have a starting RB, his name is Chester Taylor. Besides AP isn't that good anyways. I hope we draft McFadden." --Me after he broke the record.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#10 » by Basti » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:38 am

JBoog35 wrote:I would do it in a heart beat. I don't want the #1 overall pick because then we are going to draft on a position we are already loaded or draft a need too high. If we move down a few we can draft out position of need in DeAndre Jordan.

my thoughts exactly
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#11 » by deeney0 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 am

Jordan is gone in the top 4; Clips won't have a top 4 pick unless they have lotto luck, in which case they won't do this trade.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves