Possible Deadline Deals?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

WallyWorld
Analyst
And1: 5

Possible Deadline Deals? 

Post#1 » by WallyWorld » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Any rumors afloat?
Do you guys think we should make a deal?
Who is in danger of walking and who should we try to get something of value for?

Will we NOT make a deal in order to continue to establish an identity for the common fan or for the team?

Discuss
TheYounGunz
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by TheYounGunz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:20 pm

mcHale hasn't made a deadline deal since Marc Jackson. I wouldn't count on it. What do we have to trade that's worth anything?

Hopefully some teams have interest in Jaric.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 771

Post#3 » by karch34 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:21 pm

I could easily see us not making a deal as we'd probably like to move Jaric, Walker, and Buckner for either young talent or shorter contracts, but I don't see their being the same interest and fit by other GMs that we think their could or should be.

I think Green would be moved in an instant if the right deal came along, but we're probably more likely to give him 5-6 minutes every 3rd game and let him walk end of the season.

Smith makes some sense as he's young and cheap, but doesn't fit well if we look at Jefferson really needing to play PF more than C and Walker being stuck as backup PF.

I think those 5 are the most likely that we'd deal, but not sure what the front office would do. Myself I'd definitely target a young C not getting playing time (POB fits the bill) that we could try to develop and worst case add needed depth if we decided to go with Jordan in the draft.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,847

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:30 pm

I think it is unlikely because 1. they don't have much to offer other teams and 2. with Foye's injury they haven't had a chance to fully evaluate the talent they have. If anything were to happen I think it would be to move Jaric for youth/shorter contract (not very likely) or to somehow land a young center like Noah (more likely than moving Jaric but still not likely).
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 78

Post#5 » by PeeDee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:33 pm

I'd do Green straight up for POB in an instant. Green may even be a good fit for the Warriors.
Xand1
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Xand1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:42 pm

PeeDee wrote:I'd do Green straight up for POB in an instant. Green may even be a good fit for the Warriors.

Agreed. He'd fit in much better there than here at the very least. They also seem committed to not playing POB, so they may as well take a gamble on a high-scoring transition threat. Get it done!
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#7 » by chrbal » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Green for O'Bryant makes too much sense to happen. Sad but true.

I could see Doleac get swapped out. Most fans might not like this but Indianas' David Harrison and some filler guy, lets say Stephen Graham, for Michael Doleac works.

Beyond that, I'd be suprised to see anything happen. Because the contracts anyone would want off the team (Walker, Madsen, Jaric, and Buckner) are all pretty generic talents with overpriced (to different degrees) contracts. Buckners probably the most moveable, but hes a 6'4" wing with very little range and nothing that sets him apart. Yet, hes still a better fit for this team then Hassel would've been.

=====off topic thing i noticed. I don't think NBA.com goes to Timberwolves games. Walker and Doleac are still pictured in their "Heat" jerseys, while Bucker is still pictured in his "Mavs" one.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#8 » by deeney0 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Chris "Everything I say is bullsh*t" Sheridan put Theo on his list titled "High-priced superstars could be on the move." Take from it what you will.
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by PeeDee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Well, we can't trade Green for POB straight up, but if you throw in some other pieces, it works.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

Seems like a desireable trade for both parties to me.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 991

Post#10 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:31 pm

PeeDee wrote:Well, we can't trade Green for POB straight up, but if you throw in some other pieces, it works.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

Seems like a desireable trade for both parties to me.

I would do that in a heartbeat. :clap:
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#11 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:33 pm

I don't think Golden State would trade Bellinelli so quickly, but I'd do it if they would
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#12 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Depends if he plans on resigning Smith/Gomes/Green. If he doesn't why not try and package one of them and Jaric to a fringe playoff team for a guy who's contract is one year shorter than Jaric's. For actual players/teams, i'd have to do some investigating.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by PeeDee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:44 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:I don't think Golden State would trade Bellinelli so quickly, but I'd do it if they would

I dunno, Don Nelson hates rookies.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#14 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Here's some ideas:

Atl/MN

Jaric + Smith or Gomes

for

Speed Claxton

Hou/MN

Jaric + Smith or Gomes

for

M. James (ha, I know) or Alston + Snyder

Or how bout a threeway deal CLE/SAC/MN

MN Gets: Eric Snow
MN Gives: Jaric + Smith

CLE Gets: Jaric + Smith + Bibby + K. Thomas
CLE Gives: Snow + Gooden + Hughes

SAC gets: Gooden + Hughes
SAC gives: Bibby + Thomas

I actually like this trade alot.

MN: saves two years on Jarics deal.

SAC: gets the PF they need badly.
New starting 5 = Beno/Martin/Artest/Gooden/Miller

CLE: improves the quality of their team for a playoff run this year, and they can resign Smith and have him split time with Verajao.

CLE: new roster = serious playoff contender
Bibby/Gibson
Jaric/Brown
James/Pavlovic
Verajao/Smith/Thomas
Big Z/Verjao
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,643

Post#15 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 pm

I don't want O'Bryant now.

We're playing for next season. If POB stays in GSW, he stays on the bench, and his pricetag stays very low. He's already a MIN native, so we have an inside track on signing him in the off-season anyway. Bringing him in now does nothing but raise his asking price, and perhaps raise the interest of other teams looking for a back-up center.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,643

Post#16 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Here's some offers for Craig Smith from other teams.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 48&start=0
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#17 » by slinky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 pm

I mentioned the clippers in the thread about trading down, but I think they may also be a good fit for smith. They need a low post presence to fill in until brand is back, and even when he does come back he wont play many minutes right away, and brand is a good enough shot blocker to play with smith at the same time. They also have kaman who is blocking nearly 3 shots a game.

But i also think they have some intriguing assets, namely our future pick, plus maybe maggette and also a possible lottery pick if we wanted to trade back in the draft(per other thread). I personally think we have the assets to pull off a deal for maggette(if we wanted him, just an example).
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by PeeDee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:04 am

I don't think Maggette is a good fit for us.

*He's a player in his prime that will give a boost, but not enough to make us into a winning ballclub.

*He would give us more wins, decreasing our lottery chances and getting us a player with less upside.

*By the time his game starts declining, we will be a just another mediocre ballclub.

I think the Wolves need to stick to youth and bring in certain vets to help mold them. To me, the only time you trade for a player in his prime is when you feel your team needs that one extra player to put them over the edge. Like Orlando did with Lewis.
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#19 » by slinky » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 am

i agree somewhat...first of all he was an example of the type of player we should look to acquire, i think he has a few more years left in his prime, but i really wasnt looking at it from a production angle, i was looking at it like this...(i dont even know the clippers well enough to say whether or not they want to keep maggette, but if they are willing to get rid of him then...)

we receive maggette for smith, gomes/telfair, jaric, ++...I understand there will be filler, but i am not bright enough to make that work yet...We receive maggette for 2 guys (smith and gomes/telfair) who some of us have said we might not resign...guys who seem to have little value independently. We dont need maggette or may not even want him(again he is the type of player we should look at). He expires after next year. Because of that he becomes a high quality expiring who will bring value besides his expiring value. He would become our most tradable asset in the offseason and during the season. And what we give is a contract we dont want plus two guys we may not have signed.

Not to mention, the clippers might be playing for the future. Trading maggette gives Al Thornton minutes.

I am not the greatest at this stuff, so correct me where i am wrong, but once you throw in picks and filler i think it looks beneficial. If we are worried about our pick improving, then maybe we should trade it to them for our pick back, their likely lottery pick plus a future pick, if necessary.

Again i am not advocating this, I am just simply trying to find a different solution to a common problem.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#20 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

How did I know Craig Smith was going to be brought up every other post? I love you guys
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves