ImageImageImage

Beasley or Mayo?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who do you hope is available with the third pick?

Beasley
65%
OJ Mayo
31%
some other guy
4%

Total votes: 48

horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#41 » by horaceworthy » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:01 am

Most Miami posters I've seen have Beasley rated at #2, I haven't seen this huge Mayo uprising that you're claiming there is. If there's talk of Mayo, there's talk of trading down for him and picking up something else in the process, and my guess is that wouldn't even be there had Chad Ford not reported Riley making goo-goo eyes at Mayo, or Mayo weren't at A.T.T.A.C.K. with Wade. If those aren't the reasons, then they're more than likely placing too much emphasis on interviews given by Mayo and his trainers, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Deeney, I have no issue with characterizing them as different. What I have an issue with is portraying one of them as a wholly dedicated player and sweeping his issues under the rug while painting Beasley as a player without a position and comparing his issues to those of Isaiah Rider and Randy Moss.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#42 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:06 am

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Mayo has legitimate point guard skills but he also averaged more turnovers than assists last season. I don't buy him as a point guard at this point.

Isn't Randy Moss a bad example here? Sure he dropped in the draft because of character issues, but he ended up as the 2nd best player in his class and everyone outside of the Colts who passed up on him regretted it.

Look at the context Mayo played in. Mayo was NOT the PG most of the time for USC, he was primarily asked to score.
He DID however have the responsibility of taking the shot when the offense stagnated or the shot clock went down.

Look at the players he had to distribute to, consider his role, and ask yourself why so many turnovers and so few assists, especially when he was asked to score on isolation plays so often. His turnovers dropped as the year went on. If you look at his production you can begin to see a learning curve develop as he became a better team player.

People really questioned whether Deron Williams could play NBA point too.
Funny, that's who Mayo compares himself to. Maybe he's trying to send a message to the doubters.

I think many of us are still hung up on a "flip" style PG who runs pick and roll after pick and roll. We've gone away from that, we're more of a "throw it into Al and spot up" kind of team right now. Our best player doesn't excel at the pick and roll like KG did.

The late 90's Lakers, 90's Bulls, and 80's Celtics dynasties didn't revolve around PG's they revolved around Guys who can create their own offense and/or Dominant Post Players. If Mayo works out, we could have one of each.

The Moss/Rider Comparisons are a little overblown, because those players had much bigger college baggage and documented drug problems, which were chief to their problems.

I don't want to try to drag Beasley through the mud on "phantom" character concerns any more than I want people doing it to Mayo.
I just think what Mayo can bring to the table may be a better "fit" (IE more conducive to winning) than Beasley.

Miami trading down and taking Lopez or Bayless is such a joke. Their fans would run Riley straight out of town if that happened. They'd have to get something like a future unprotected 1st just to make it close to getting value back, which won't happen.
My stance has always been they're set on Beasley. Look at their big men:Blount, Haslem, Marion. None of them can score outside the paint.
They'd become a terribly unbalanced team if they drafted Mayo, and Riley wants to win now. My prediction: They draft Beasley and sign Michael Pietrus with their MLE.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#43 » by andyhop » Sat Jun 7, 2008 1:15 am

Vindicater wrote:
If Beasely did not have defensive issues he would be EVERYONES No 1. pick in the Draft,

Fixed

He would also have won all of the player of the year awards instead of Hansbrough, who pretty much swept them, if that part of his game wasn't so undeveloped.

I would still pick him over Mayo but if he doesn't learn that there are 2 sides to a basketball game he is going to be a player who puts up good numbers ,gets to the playoffs and then loses early rather than someone who will lead his team to a title.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#44 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 1:58 am

horaceworthy wrote:It's a bit of a double standard to use character and tweener issues to knock Beasley down and lift Mayo up, and it mostly seems like that's happening only because Mayo and his trainers have said all the right things to the media so far.

Reread my post. You're missing my point.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#45 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:41 am

If Beasley fell I'd test the waters to see what it would take to trade up with Chicago for Rose, since Beasley seems to be an obvious fit for them.
D' Winner Within
Junior
And1: 10

Post#46 » by D' Winner Within » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:43 pm

Mayo doesn't want to work out with Minny
Mayo has reportedly yet to schedule even a single workout, and will probably do so after he officially hires his new agent. We
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#47 » by horaceworthy » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:58 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Reread my post. You're missing my point.

Here are the points I saw:

-Not unanimous that Beasley's better than Mayo

-If Mayo's a PG, he's going to be special

-Beasley has positional and character issues

-Mayo not perfect, but dedicated

-Character concerns a legit issue, invoke the names of Rider and Moss

I missed any mention of Mayo's positional and character issues.

If there's anything else I'm missing, please let me know.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#48 » by shrink » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:49 pm

rotoworld wrote:Probable lottery pick O.J. Mayo is expected to sign with LeBron James's LRMR Marketing group.

Mayo recently left his original agent after news reports about improper benefits he allegedly received at USC. Mayo also is expected to sign with Leon Rose, James' basketball agent. Mayo is likely to go Top 5 in the draft, and is being looked at by the Heat at No. 2.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by TheFranchise21 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:50 am

horaceworthy wrote:If there's anything else I'm missing, please let me know.

TheFranchise21 wrote:I'm not even trying to argue Mayo > Beasley. I just thought it was astounding you said people don't deserve to be Wolves fans if they would draft Mayo over Beasley. Everyone has their favorite player in this draft. Just because you think Beasley is better than Mayo doesn't mean it makes you a better fan than the person who feels the opposite.

That was the whole point behind my post. Seems like every statement I make you are right there with some counterpoint. I've said before that Beasley > Mayo. Instead of trying to respond to my statements all the time, why don't you take a look at the main idea behind my entire post next time.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#50 » by mandurugo » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:52 am

horaceworthy wrote:Here are the points I saw:

-Not unanimous that Beasley's better than Mayo

-If Mayo's a PG, he's going to be special

-Beasley has positional and character issues

-Mayo not perfect, but dedicated

-Character concerns a legit issue, invoke the names of Rider and Moss

I missed any mention of Mayo's positional and character issues.

Addressing Miami I guess, I would respond:

- Beasley had better college numbers
- If Mayo is a PG he should have played PG in college
- Beasley played as a low post player in college, the position he is expected to play in the pros. Mayo will be special only if he is secretly not simply a good SG but actually a superlative PG
- Beasley has a good reputation for his practice as well, but perhaps not the gifted PR people
- Beasley's character issues seem more imagined than real compared to Mayo's

I still don't think there is any chance for anyone to draft Mayo ahead of Beasley, I still expect him to go first.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by TheFranchise21 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:55 am

D' Winner Within wrote:Mayo doesn't want to work out with Minny
Mayo has reportedly yet to schedule even a single workout, and will probably do so after he officially hires his new agent. We
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#52 » by andyhop » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:59 am

Yi had a realistic choice to sit out the year and then reenter the draft as well by spending the time preparing for the Olympics in China, Mayo has nowhere to go and he doesn't seem the sort to waste a year of his career because he doesn't want to play somewhere.

If the FO want him just pick him and he will sign.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
D' Winner Within
Junior

Post#53 » by D' Winner Within » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:05 pm

I
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#54 » by shrink » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks for posting those.

I agree that its possible that MIA can trade the pick elsewhere if its true that Riley doesn't like Beasley, and supposedly McHale is no fan either. A small part of me worries that MIA picks Mayo, and just like the NBA lottery, I feel that two minutes of optimism for the Wolves until its crushed, when McHale passes on Beasley too and takes Love at #3.

However, if MIA trades the #2 pick to some team that likes Beasley, I suspect OJ Mayo was option #1. If the price is too high (like some of those MIA fans were suggesting), I thinnk you're right that Riley might go elsewhere. I think there is a big gap between #3 and #4, but maybe Riley can assuage the fans after losing out on their hopes for Beasley by getting two good assets, like the MEM trade. However, I think this Miami writer's particular deal is a no-go. I just can't see MEM being willing to absorb Blount's contract after they paid through the nose to get money off their cap in the Gasol deal. I agree with your conclusion -- Beasley is probably off the board before we pick.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#55 » by Vindicater » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:28 pm

Beasely will not be on the board when we pick, no way, no how
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#56 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:30 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Look at the players he had to distribute to, consider his role, and ask yourself why so many turnovers and so few assists, especially when he was asked to score on isolation plays so often. His turnovers dropped as the year went on. If you look at his production you can begin to see a learning curve develop as he became a better team player.

People really questioned whether Deron Williams could play NBA point too.
Funny, that's who Mayo compares himself to. Maybe he's trying to send a message to the doubters.

USC was stacked with top level recruits. Jefferson, Taj Gibson and Daniel Hackett are all players who have a chance to get drafted. I have a hard time accepting the argument that Mayo had nobody to pass to.
Deron Williams was averaging 6-7 assists per game (I think) by his junior year. I never doubted he was a point guard and considering he was drafted #3 overall it doesn't seem like NBA teams did either.
EDIT: I looked it up, Williams led the Big Ten is assists (during league play) for each of his 3 seasons at Illinois. .
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#57 » by deeney0 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:51 pm

"By his junior year" is a key qualifier in that sentence. Maybe Mayo would be in the same boat after two more years at USC. Or maybe not. You've just got to use your best judgment when comparing Apples to Oranges.

I don't think Mayo has much chance of racking up 5+ apg on this team as a PG or as a SG - that's not how this team is built. Randy and OJ might end up around 5, Corey and Marko will have a few, it'd be great to see Al with a couple.. this isn't going to be a one-distributor, one-pass offense, even if Mayo could replicate Deron Williams.

This team was most successful last year when they made the extra pass, and I don't see any reason why they won't continue to do that. It's a style of basketball that's conducive to winning, not the statistics.
D' Winner Within
Junior

Post#58 » by D' Winner Within » Sun Jun 8, 2008 10:30 pm

From the Miami Herald
With several lottery teams expecting Chicago to pick Derrick Rose at No. 1, a rival executive who spoke to the Heat said Miami couldn't justify not taking Michael Beasley at No. 2 ''because he's a major asset'' but also said the Heat isn't discouraging trade inquiries.

The executive said the problem with trading down to take USC guard O.J. Mayo, who is working out for the Heat this weekend, is that Minnesota (which picks third) and Seattle (fourth) don't have attractive assets they're willing to offer, noting the Wolves' Al Jefferson and the Sonics' Kevin Durant and Jeff Green aren't available. ''Memphis at No. 5 would be the best trade fit,'' the official said, though Mayo might be gone. (The Heat isn't permitted to trade No. 2 until after it makes the pick.)

A second NBA official who spoke to Miami cited Heat uneasiness about Beasley's maturity, though nobody questions his skills. Pat Riley will meet with him.

Vindicater wrote:Beasely will not be on the board when we pick, no way, no how
I'm not closing the door for any possibilities. Just like I said, chances are very slim. I think its a 5%-10% chance Beasley will fall at #3.

But I think its best to start the focus on other players that will most likely end at #3. Players like Mayo, Lopez, Bayless and Love.

Which player should Minny draft at #3? [/quote]
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#59 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jun 8, 2008 10:49 pm

deeney0 wrote:"By his junior year" is a key qualifier in that sentence. Maybe Mayo would be in the same boat after two more years at USC. Or maybe not. You've just got to use your best judgment when comparing Apples to Oranges.

I used his junior year as an example because it's what I remembered off the top of my head. Williams led the Big Ten in assists as freshman.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#60 » by Hoops23 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:28 pm

D' Winner Within wrote:I'm not closing the door for any possibilities. Just like I said, chances are very slim. I think its a 5%-10% chance Beasley will fall at #3.
Well that percentage could go even farther down or maybe 0%. If the Heat trades down the #2, then whoever that team is, they're interested in Beasley or Rose. So chances are 0%.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves