ImageImageImage

Beasley or Mayo?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who do you hope is available with the third pick?

Beasley
65%
OJ Mayo
31%
some other guy
4%

Total votes: 48

D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#61 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:09 am

So what good does that do Miami, trading down to potentially bank on Mayo being there?
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#62 » by Hoops23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:37 am

If Miami trades down, its not just about the pick their getting back but also the players their getting in the trade.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#63 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:43 am

so who are they mystery players?
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#64 » by Hoops23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:49 am

Players that can be part of the starting line-up or be a solid part of the rotation.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#65 » by Vindicater » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:01 pm

Miami will take Beasely
Chicago will look stupid after 20 games for taking Rose (yes it will be that quick)
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Sephiroth
Senior
And1: 88

Post#66 » by Sephiroth » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:40 pm

cpfsf wrote:Of course Beasley, but the Heat won't simply give him away. If they decide Beasley will be a part of their future, they will trade him, they won't draft Mayo.

Minnesota is in a win-win situation here.

If the Heat decide that Beasley isn't their guy and that Mayo is - then they'd have no choice but to trade with us. I'm sure the asking price wouldn't be much too since we'd be doing them a favor...kinda. If they can't milk anything out of us then Miami would probably just draft Mayo and let Beasley fall to us at #3.
gjn19
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#67 » by gjn19 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:01 pm

i can't grab why chicago would take rose.

drafting pg's on top rareley turns out good. pg's are overhyped in this draft because of the success of chris paul and deron williams, but history shows that they are an aberation...the best pg's in the league got drafted much lower. why? pg's take time, and their game in college don't translate as easy to the pros.

i agree with vindicator: chicago will regret drafting rose and dumping hinrich.
tsherkin wrote:Sam's the king of the herky-jerky setup move, he's like 800 years old and STILL drops 30 on folks some nights...
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#68 » by PeeDee » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:14 pm

From the Miami Herald:

On Sunday, Dwyane Wade said he's been just as impressed with O.J. Mayo's humility as he has with the skill set of the Southern Cal guard.

"I've got an opportunity to see O.J. and go to lunch and dinner with him, because that's what we do in Chicago, because we're like family," Wade said. "He's a good kid. He's shocked me. He's been getting hype since the 6th grade. So I'm thinking he's going to have the big head and have a big posse with him. But he doesn't roll like that. And I like to see that."

Wade said he's already talked with Pat Riley about the draft, but stopped short of suggesting that he's officially endorsing Mayo over Michael Beasley if Derrick Rose is not in play. But Wade did say of Mayo, "I have gotten an opportunity to know him, and that's a perk."

http://blogs.herald.com/miami_heat/2008 ... 2-str.html
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#69 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:18 pm

gjn19 wrote:i can't grab why chicago would take rose.

drafting pg's on top rareley turns out good. pg's are overhyped in this draft because of the success of chris paul and deron williams, but history shows that they are an aberation...the best pg's in the league got drafted much lower. why? pg's take time, and their game in college don't translate as easy to the pros.

i agree with vindicator: chicago will regret drafting rose and dumping hinrich.

Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Allen Iverson were all point guards taken in the top 5 who had great success. Even Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury were good enough to make all-star games.
If you look a little farther back, Magic Johnson, Clyde Frazier and Isiah Thomas were all taken in the top 5.
AirGordon
Junior
And1: 0

Post#70 » by AirGordon » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:56 pm

Deron Williams also went #3 and Paul 4th. So While they werent 1 and 2 it really dont matter they were both top 5 picks and are pretty much the top 2 pgs in the NBA rite now.

As a Bulls fan while I wont be upset if the Bulls pick rose #1 I would prefer if we went with Beasley. I think Hinrich had an off season and will be back to form next season. I think both have super star potential but that Beasley will be better than Rose.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#71 » by Vindicater » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:28 am

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Allen Iverson Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury, Magic Johnson, Clyde Frazier and Isiah Thomas were all taken in the top 5.

Championships= 9 (Thats if Clyde got 2, I think thats all he got right?)

4 of those came from Magic, who if you really watch the way he played was not strictly a point guard, hell he played EVERY position against the 76's in that finals series Abdul-Jabbar went down.

This is not a very good point, but its still very viable, dont let this new trend of point guards ruling the NBA fool you, Big men, like beasly (who is not a small forward no matter what these idiots are saying) win and they win most of the time
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#72 » by AQuintus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 am

No, superstar two-way centers win championships. Undersized, score-first, no defense Power Forwards, like Beasley (and Amare, and Boozer, and David West, and Antwan Jamison) don''t win you anything. (Or at least haven't yet, and even if they did, it would be because of the superstar PG's that they are playing with.)

Edit: I'm being a little unfair, superstar SG's in the triangle offense (Jordan and maybe Kobe), and superstar SF's who understand the game better than anyone they play against (Bird) also win you championships.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#73 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:12 am

Miami should get Miller + 5 for the #2 + working contracts.

Play Wade at the PG, draft Lopez..

Wade
Miller
Marion
Haslem
Lopez
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves