ImageImageImage

Sean Williams

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

ChazzleDazzle
Junior
And1: 1

Sean Williams 

Post#1 » by ChazzleDazzle » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:47 pm

Pretty sure this has been mentioned at some point, but Sean Williams would be a pretty good fit next to Al.

Walker, McCants, Smith S&T
for
Williams, Swift, Van Horne

works cap-wise, but I don't know if getting out of Van Horne's contract would be enough for them (Swift is also an expiring).

Dropping from #3 to #10 seems like too much for us to give up, even if they throw in the #21. Its possible that we could come out of that scenario with Joe Alexander and Brandon Rush, but even so...

1- Foye/Telfair
2 - Brewer/Rush
3 - Gomes/Alexander
4 - Jefferson/Swift
5 - Williams/Richard

has some exciting youth, but not that superstar potential that Mayo, Beasley et al would bring.

So what, in you opinion, gets something like this done? The Boston or Miami pick? Both #2's?

NJ ending up with Smith and McCants opens them up to being able to make some creative trades with Carter and/or Jefferson, so I'd have to think they'd give it some thought...

Chaz
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:57 pm

I don't like it because Williams isn't very thick and not a great post defender against big players. He can block shots, but his rebounding and post defense isn't so good - especially at the 5 - so there's not much for me to get excited about there.
JBoog35
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by JBoog35 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:26 pm

I agree, he's a little thin to be gaurding the bigger bigs. I do want someone who can blocks shots, I would just prefer that they be a bit bigger so that Al can gaurd the 4 spot.
"Dude, all I am saying is we already have a starting RB, his name is Chester Taylor. Besides AP isn't that good anyways. I hope we draft McFadden." --Me after he broke the record.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#4 » by shrink » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:59 pm

There would also be the issue of getting Glen Taylor to approve, after he went out in front of the world saying, "no more character risks"

As an RFA, at a minimum Craig Smith has the value of a TPE, because MIN could simply choose to not match offers. Maybe that makes him roughly equivalent to Van Horn's unguaranteed deal.

Williams >= McCants

Swift $6.2 mil expiring < Walker $9.3 mil expiring

I think its an interesting trade.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#5 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:04 am

Sure, he can block shots, but ENORMOUS character risk.
Kicked off college team, documented drug use.
Jerked in and out of the rotation last year before finally relegated to the pine permanently while they were supposed to be in a youth movement.

Which tells me either the drug problem resurfaced or he has absolutely no head for the NBA game. He blocks shots, dunks, and pretty much nothing else.

So no thanks, and hell no to a trade down to 10, are you serious?
McCants>Williams by a lot.
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#6 » by Steve_Holiday » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:10 am

if we're going to take on sean williams, which I don't think is a smart move, the team should at least keep his old teammate Craig Smith. not that it helped keep him out of trouble at BC, but they do still keep in touch regularly.
ChazzleDazzle
Junior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by ChazzleDazzle » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:24 pm

I was actually (attempting) to say that I didn't think trading down was a good idea in this situation, but I wasn't aware of the extent of his character issues--particularly being benched and/or low BBIQ perceptions.

On the NJ board they were back and forth about the prospect of dealing Williams and the #21 for Mardy Collins, Randolph Morris and the #6, so I think he's valued pretty highly by NJ. Probably means that whatever it would take to get it done would be too high a price.

Still, it seems like turning either Boone or Williams into a non-redundant piece would be good for the Nets.

Chaz
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#8 » by shrink » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:36 pm

ChazzleDazzle wrote:Still, it seems like turning either Boone or Williams into a non-redundant piece would be good for the Nets.

I agree with this. The Nets have Josh Boone (three 15+ RB games in a row when he got mintues), Sean Williams, Krstic is healthy again, Diop they say they want to keep, and Stromile Swift isn't going anywhere.

I think NJN fans like Sean Williams, but he's not loved like he was in the first half of the season, because he failed to develop. He's a good blocker, but I don't know about his defense. I learned from Eddie Griffin that you can be bad on defense, and get blocks from behind as players get past you.

I don't think Taylor would take a chance on him unless it was an unbelievable deal, and the Nets have no reason to offer an unbelievable deal.

What do you guys think of the other Nets? In particular, I wonder how Krstic would look here?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#9 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Not a good deal for the Nets IMO.

First, Van Horn's deal is not guaranteed. His contract is a valuable trading chip for them that allows them to take back extra guaranteed salary.

Second, Their front court is thin and young. Trading their front court player with the most upside doesn't make a lot of sense. Most, even without doing this trade, expect them to take a front court player with their first pick, #10. Darrell Arthur has been rumored.

Third, McCants would not be able to play with Carter, so essentially he would be playing 10 minutes a game unless they moved Carter in a separate deal. Moving Carter is no easy task. What the Nets need is a defensive wing, like Corey Brewer who could play with both Carter and Jefferson. However, I don't see us trading Brewer for anything less than the #10 and Sean Williams, and that's not going to happen from NJ's perspective.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#10 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 pm

Boone is the guy I really like out of all their guys (If he can learn to shoot free throws). i'd take Swift too. Krstic is soft like charmin.

Nets fans are in love with Williams because he's a highlight reel player who oozes potential, but I don't think he has that much real value right now.

I stupidly added him to my fantasy b-ball team last year after his 8-block game, and he just plain sucked the rest of the year and couldn't get off the bench the last 2 months over the likes of krstic, jason collins, and diop.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves