ImageImageImage

T Wolves outlook

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

T Land26
Ballboy
And1: 0

T Wolves outlook 

Post#1 » by T Land26 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:12 am

1. The Front Office: I hate to say it but were stuck with Mcfail i mean Mchale for probably some time. In the past he has made bone head moves as a GM but the problem people fail to realize is that GM's in the NBA look 4-5 years down the road unless your team is ready to win now. The joe smith debacle was funny to say the least (as a true T-Wolves fan you just have to laugh!) but Mchale did trade the most expensive contract in the league in KG last year and got decent value in return.

2. Al Jefferson: I think al is a great player i pretty sure last season wasn't a fluke and yes the nay sayers will say don't look at a players stats on a bad team. Still just watching him you can already see that he is definetly one if not the premier post scorer in the game. With that being said I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 player but top 10 for sure. There is no way a guy that quick in the post won't dominate for some time. Oh yeah he's also only 23. Yeah, Yeah i know he's a 4 and a Center of somesort would be nice to have next to him but not now.

3.Guards: Personally I think our guards could develop into a solid group. Foye i like but i would like to see another season under his belt. He's a good scorer and can get to the paint a little. McCants i like aswell. I think if we draft Mayo, McCants would be a great sixth man almost like Bobby Jackson was for the old sacramento kings. Im not really a fan of trading McCants for like 19# in this years draft and taking a project big man, i just think he's got more vaulue than that and if we do draft mayo we should give it a year with all three. I think McCants contract is up this year so we might have to make a decision sooner than later. Jaric well Jaric is Jaric (boring!!!) Telfair i like as long as we don't overpay. He's undersized but i like his attitude so far on this team and he's still quite young. Buckner i wont go into either(Not part of the Future). Snyder is intresting, we dont really have a athletic wing like him but i dont see a spot on the roster plus he has a win at any cost attitude and i think we will tank for one more year. (good luck on another team)

4.SF Gomes is cool in my book as long as we dont over pay I think he and Brewer could be a good tandem at the 3. Both a versitle enough to play 2 positions with gomes a big3 small4 and brewer a big 2 small 3. I also think gomes is more of an offensive player and brewer a defensive so it might be intresting to see what kinds of matchups the wolves do.

5.Salary Cap: I can't stress enough that i don't want to overpay any of the FA's we have this year. I like Gomes, Telfair and Smith back but only a reasonable prices. Walker is a FA at the end of next year and i hear his contract is something of a valued peice. If im correct Juan howards contract is up next year too and hudsons the following year which will mean a lot of money for free agents. I really hope Mchale dosent screw that space up as we T wolves fans have been wait so long to get rid of it. Max players here we come.

6. The draft: I say take mayo and be happy. I cant see the logic in taking Lopez/Love in this years draft as next years crop of bigs look better suited with al. Mullens /Thabeet or FA this year like Diop is better in my opion than lopez or love these two arn't worth it at 3 and a trade down dosen't seem like equall value to me. But i guess we'll see.

7.Future: All signs point in a good direction a young talented team with a another talented guard on the way(hopefully) a skilled big man and cap space clearing in the very near future seems pretty bright to me.
JBoog35
Pro Prospect

Re: T Wolves outlook 

Post#2 » by JBoog35 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:44 am

All I can say is that the Wolves are in a bit of a tough spot. They seem to want to take a SG no matter what, whether it be Mayo, CDR, Rush, etc. McCants will not re-sign to be a 6th man either, so it leaves the question, play him and bench the rook for one year or trade him and get some value? I say trade him now. I am almost positive he will step in almost anywhere else and be a better player than he was in Minnesota, but if it's him or Mayo, I take Mayo. So, maybe trading him for a teens to late 20's pick isn't such a terrible idea in a loaded draft. I also look at it this way. With like 4 or 5 RFA's, this team could use the rookie contracts. So, in my scenario:

We draft Mayo, get that late pick add a R.Lopez, Koufous, McGee, etc. Then keep the two 2nd rounders and take a PG such as Kyle Weaver or Jamont Gordon. With the 2nd take a big, someone like a Richard Hendrix, Devon Hardin, Ryan Anderson, Omer Asik, or Nikola Perovic. This way, with our 2 second rounders, we have the luxury in bargaining to tell them when they ask for too much that we have their replacements. It's really a bargaining chip/fall back option for Craig Smith/Ryan Gomes/Sebastian Telfair. If they do bolt, big deal we are rebuilding and our key pieces are still in place.
"Dude, all I am saying is we already have a starting RB, his name is Chester Taylor. Besides AP isn't that good anyways. I hope we draft McFadden." --Me after he broke the record.
T Land26
Ballboy

Re: T Wolves outlook 

Post#3 » by T Land26 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:50 am

Good reply i never really though of the 31# and 34# as a contigencey plan if any of our RFA's get paid elsewhere or who knows they may even pan out to be better. Dont really know if any team will bite on our 2 2nds for a late 1st but i guess we'll see soon enough. Good thoughts on McCants as well we'll see soon on him too.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves