ImageImageImage

Serge Ibaka

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,660

Re: Serge Ibaka 

Post#21 » by shrink » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Chad Ford was just on ESPN, and he sounded pretty confident that Ibaka would go at #31, and that he could become a very good NBA player.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#22 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:55 pm

Ibaka and Anthony Randolph were the two guys I wanted us to target with Miami's pick when we first acquired it and most of us thought they'd sneak into the playoffs. If we can snag Ibaka I'll be friggin' stoked. He and Ajinca (who now looks like he'll go far earlier) are the two guys I'd like at #31.

I'm a little more steeped in anticipation for this draft than I have been in the past, since it seems like we should get two quality players, with an outside chance at three.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by Jonathan Watters » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Yeah, I suppose nobody's ever had any success stashing guys overseas. I mean, Luis Scola, Manu Ginobili, JC Navarro, Anderson Varejao, Peja Stoyakovic, Tiago Splitter, they all suck. What a horrible idea to stash away players like that when you've got an outisde chance at a 7/4 guy at #31.

My bad...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#24 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Jonathan Watters wrote:Yeah, I suppose nobody's ever had any success stashing guys overseas. I mean, Luis Scola, Manu Ginobili, JC Navarro, Anderson Varejao, Peja Stoyakovic, Tiago Splitter, they all suck. What a horrible idea to stash away players like that when you've got an outisde chance at a 7/4 guy at #31.

My bad...

well right off the bat we can strike Navarro and Splitter off that list as "victories" for the teams that drafted them. Scola and Varejao didn't do anything for their respective teams either; and despite all the hype, are both nothing more than role players.

Manu was drafted late 2nd, not early, so that was a worthy gamble. Peja was already a very accomplished player, worthy of his draft status, and didn't have all the questions about coming to the NBA as the financial environment in Europe was incomparable to now.

mnWI wrote:Thanks for admitting you've never seen the guy before.

I've never see him in person, nope. And I'll keep my Badiane comparison thank you very much. Not like I want him to fail, but I'm skeptical. It's happened before and it'll happen again and I've got history on my side. Maybe he'll be a great player someday, or maybe he'll be in foul trouble for his short NBA career and quickly forgotten as the masses move on to the next great 6'10 player with athleticism and a respectable jumper. He's great athleticism and size, thats a plus. His skill is good comparatively speaking when comparing to other prospects from his region, but you put him up against JJ Hickson and I think he'd get taken to school.

And I won't take it personal though if you guys take turns comparing him to Dice and Reign man and other all stars.

PS I still love you guys. Watters and MnWI, both of you. You're both very nice...and smart....soft supple skin...
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#25 » by wolves_fan_82au » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 pm

we shouldnt be wasting draft picks on guys that wont play for us until 2-3 years

to much a risk to early and we need all the talent we can get now
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#26 » by deeney0 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Disagree. No team is in better shape to spend a pick on a player that won't play for two or three years than the Wolves.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#27 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:45 am

We did get one of the top euro centers. A guy that they said was a clear cut #31 pick. He looks physical.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves