ImageImageImage

Rebuild Plan

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Rebuild Plan 

Post#1 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:55 am

Some vague comments on the direction of the Wolves, so no need to disect the examples:

I'd have to say we are building a 2-in and 3-out. Traditionally, teams used to be built around a big man, PG, and tough defense. Then came the era of a more speed-driven style to utilize the better athletes and run the floor, but the lack of fundamentals and inside-out game has slowed that philosophy.

I see a little bit of a trend to utilize more of a two-post offense, and spread the floor with ballhandlers/shooters (Detroit for example). Dallas, for example, has gotten caught in the middle and struggled in the playoffs vs. the traditional big man/PG of the Spurs and the speed of Golden State. The Hornets have the PG, but not the true big man. The Knicks had the right idea, but had too many selfish players, over-rated skill, and ultimately lacked chemistry.

The Wolves, in my opinion, have a decent strategy using the two-post offense and I like the scheme. First, we now have two legit post players that each serve a purpose (Low and High). Our perimeter players can handle the ball, shoot, and spread the floor. The key is we have a unique player in Jefferson who can consistantly postup 1-on-1. McHale likes post players who can pass effectively enough to avoid defensive closeouts, and Love fits the bill. Adding Miller increased our depth and ability to spread the floor for 60 minutes with shooters. As we spread the floor, Foye will have opportunity to penetrate, and our posts will have the opprtunity to play in space or take advantage of the high-low or inside-out game on double-downs. Brewer/Gomes are unselfish type players and will likely prosper with garbage points as 5th wheels.

The big question to me is defenseive capability. In other words, do we have players who CAN play good team defense. We have a few, but the jury is out on the majority. Jefferson is adequate but must and will improve, Brewer is pretty good, Foye is average, McCant is average on good days, Miller is average but does rebound well, Gomes is decent but his speed can limiting at his position, Maddog is physical but a hack, Smith is a tweener and struggles with most matchups, etc... We need atleast one defensive guard to defend PG's and smaller SG's. You can have average defensive players and still play good team defense, but there's always a true need for a role defender on the perimeter. I'm hoping Collins can serve that specific role in the post.

Duhon is likely not coming here, so I feel Watson or a Travis Knight may be the best alternatives, defensively, even though they are both small.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Re: Rebuild Plan 

Post#2 » by cpfsf » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:06 am

My rebuilding plan

Blackmail Stern with incriminating pictures so we can play in the Eastern conference, preferably in a division with the Bucks, Bulls, Pacers, and Pistons.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#3 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:07 am

Dewey wrote:Duhon is likely not coming here, so I feel Watson or a Travis Knight may be the best alternatives, defensively, even though they are both small.

I'm guessing you mean Brevin Knight?

This was Travis Knight:

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#4 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:00 am

oh god...I'm picturing Travis Knight running the point...and my mind's eye is crying tears of laughter
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#5 » by wolves_fan_82au » Thu Jul 3, 2008 11:06 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:oh god...I'm picturing Travis Knight running the point...and my mind's eye is crying tears of laughter

:lol:
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#6 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:38 pm

Travis ... :D

Maybe we can lure Marco back while we're at it.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#7 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:33 pm

Dewey wrote:Some vague comments on the direction of the Wolves, so no need to disect the examples:

I'd have to say we are building a 2-in and 3-out. Traditionally, teams used to be built around a big man, PG, and tough defense. Then came the era of a more speed-driven style to utilize the better athletes and run the floor, but the lack of fundamentals and inside-out game has slowed that philosophy.

I see a little bit of a trend to utilize more of a two-post offense, and spread the floor with ballhandlers/shooters (Detroit for example). Dallas, for example, has gotten caught in the middle and struggled in the playoffs vs. the traditional big man/PG of the Spurs and the speed of Golden State. The Hornets have the PG, but not the true big man. The Knicks had the right idea, but had too many selfish players, over-rated skill, and ultimately lacked chemistry.

The Wolves, in my opinion, have a decent strategy using the two-post offense and I like the scheme. First, we now have two legit post players that each serve a purpose (Low and High). Our perimeter players can handle the ball, shoot, and spread the floor. The key is we have a unique player in Jefferson who can consistantly postup 1-on-1. McHale likes post players who can pass effectively enough to avoid defensive closeouts, and Love fits the bill. Adding Miller increased our depth and ability to spread the floor for 60 minutes with shooters. As we spread the floor, Foye will have opportunity to penetrate, and our posts will have the opprtunity to play in space or take advantage of the high-low or inside-out game on double-downs. Brewer/Gomes are unselfish type players and will likely prosper with garbage points as 5th wheels.

The big question to me is defenseive capability. In other words, do we have players who CAN play good team defense. We have a few, but the jury is out on the majority. Jefferson is adequate but must and will improve, Brewer is pretty good, Foye is average, McCant is average on good days, Miller is average but does rebound well, Gomes is decent but his speed can limiting at his position, Maddog is physical but a hack, Smith is a tweener and struggles with most matchups, etc... We need atleast one defensive guard to defend PG's and smaller SG's. You can have average defensive players and still play good team defense, but there's always a true need for a role defender on the perimeter. I'm hoping Collins can serve that specific role in the post.

Duhon is likely not coming here, so I feel Watson or a Travis Knight may be the best alternatives, defensively, even though they are both small.

I'm down w/ the old Duke offense. I also like the 1-4 high for this team.

Defense I'm cautiously optimistic about, I'm hoping the team intelligence will translate to good team defense.

Travis Knight would be a nice backup PG, but he's got nothing on Chris Dudley.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#8 » by andyhop » Fri Jul 4, 2008 6:37 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Defense I'm cautiously optimistic about, I'm hoping the team intelligence will translate to good team defense.

Do we have someone capable of installing a good defensive scheme in place to optimise the players we have?

We need to look at the Spurs system where they always funnel perimeter drivers into Duncan's path and do something similar because you don't have to be amazingly athletic if the guy is being directed straight at you.Neither Al or Love will be as good as Duncan obviously whatever you do but it should maximise their defensive potential by diminishing the importance of speed of movement for both of them.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves