ImageImageImage

Wolves FO becoming savvy?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Wolves FO becoming savvy? 

Post#21 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 pm

I was pondering the Wolves roster and I realized McHale has almost created an unscrewupable roster for Wittman. Last year Wittman would always ruin things by putting Buckner or Jaric in the game, now they're both gone hooray.

He has to play exciting players. The one kink in the armor - Jason Collins - should be stymied by Love seemingly being the type of high IQ player he wants.

But the backcourt and wing guys are all exciting and young: Foye, McCants, Miller, Carney, Brewer. He HAS to play somebody exciting! No more 40 minutes for Jaric while I watch McCants and Gerald Green sit on the bench and play russian roulette while drinking shots of starter fluid.

Hopefully they don't go sign Robert Pack or something.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,644

Post#22 » by shrink » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote: The one kink in the armor - Jason Collins - should be stymied by Love seemingly being the type of high IQ player he wants.

For what it's worth, I've spent some time trying to see if anyone can come up with a good statistical way to represent defensive ability. I don't believe anyone has come up qith a good one yet. However, in a couple of the "least bad" ones, Jason Collins was actually in the top 20 in the NBA.

I haven't seen him play, so I don't know if that makes sense (and for the highly unreliable defensive rating systems, it may not). However, I thought I'd toss that out there, since all last year we were wishing we had a defensive center to paur with Al. Collins may be more than just an expiring.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#23 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:08 pm

I've heard that about Collins, that he's supposed to be good defensively, but if he can't do anything else - can't score, can't block shots, can't rebound - then we might as well play Madsen. He's not as big but he hustles more. They're probably about even. http://www.82games.com/0708/07MIN13D.HTM hell, according to 82games, MadDog has outscored his counterparts! (I don't know if I believe that)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#24 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Another reason our latest deal was genious:

Nice deal: Not only did the Timberwolves get a first-round draft pick from the Philadelphia 76ers for Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth this week, but a little birdie says Philadelphia also will pick up almost all of Carney's and Booth's salaries for next season, which total nearly $3 million. The Wolves will pay $500,000 of Carney's $1.65 million paycheck. The 76ers are paying all of Booth's $1.3 million contract.

http://www.twincities.com/dailydose/ci_ ... ck_check=1
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#25 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 pm

I kinda figured that when I saw "cash" as part of the deal, I assumed they'd at least foot Booth's bill.

Didn't make sense initially that Taylor would accept those salaries, yet sell a #34 pick ....dammit Taylor, its #34 in a stacked draft, your team sucks and you....hold on my cell phone is vibrating....oh ok, its just my HBP...anyways, you could've gotten a great young prospect! If you didn't want to add salary, then at least draft a foreign cat and stash him away!
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Fully agree with the #34, especially on the foreign player if we didn't want to pay anyone now.

As for screwing up the line up and rotations....

now entering the game for the Timberwolves, Brian Cardinal, Mark Madsen, and Calvin Boothe .......

I don't think it matters what guards you have in with that front court......
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#27 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Winter Wonder wrote:now entering the game for the Timberwolves, Brian Cardinal, Mark Madsen, and Calvin Boothe .......

thats a nice frontcourt, imagine them hustling after eachother's airballs! Whats the NBA record for most offensive rebounds in a single possession?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#28 » by Dewey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:36 pm

The front office has done a nice job exceeding (my) expectations. They've clearly observed the mode of the NBA and have put together a group of players that can potentially start to develop a future core. I like that we've built in some flexibility in terms of players, and at the same time, been able to increase our draft options. We are now getting into position to build a winning team.

In the past, we paid KG the big money before building the team, but this time, we are building a team first. I believe it will eventually prove to be a lesson well learned for the Wolves, KG, other teams, and ultimately, other free-agents looking to hog up the big money ahead of winning.

I've never understood the infatuation over #34 since the draft. We have Foye, McCants, Miller, Carney, Brewer, Telfair?, and Gomes? to fill out the 1-2-3 positions. Chalmers at #34 is dandy, but we can pick up a veteran instead. A Big Man prospect at #34 may seem logical because of need/media hype, but these big men commonly take 2-4 years to develop into even a role player. Heck even some of the mid-1st rounders take a couple 2-3 years. You can only have so many young players in development, and they likely would've ended up in the D-League anyway. Also, I don't think Mchale over-rode Hoiberg on the Love vs. Mayo deal. They both understand the game and I think they both felt right about Love/Miller duo versus O.J. Mayo. Now we sit back and watch - and hope.

With Pev already prepared to compete, we can continue to let him play in the competative Euro league (free) for two more seasons. That's good business IMO. The veteran big men (Collins, Booth, Maddog, Cardinal) can likely play their role as good or better than any of the prospects at #34 over the next couple seasons. Sell the rumor, buy the fact?

With Foye, McCants, Miller, Carney, Brewer, Cardinal, Love, Jefferson, Collins, Madsen, and Booth, I'd have to say Craig Smith is the odd man out unless he accepts an offensive role to compliment Madsen, Collins, and Booth off the bench. Gomes & Telfair are on the bubble, yet, likely to resign with the Wolves. Telfair won't find the money he thinks is out there and realize he has opportunity to grow here. I think Gomes wans to stay here and will likely re-sign a reasonable deal.

The roster below provides lots of flexibility to adjust. Yes, the veteran big are limited in ablility, but they can play a specific role - and they'll accept it. We've improved our athleticism and have long-range shooters at nearly all positions, yet, still have one of the best offensve post players in the league. We have one skilled rookie and eight capable young guys with 1-3 seasons of experience on top of it. We should get to see some cream start rising to the top. I'd say a veteran PG/SG is the key need as we head into the season, and a glaring need if Telfair does sign elsewhere.

PG = Foye, Telfair, Veteran
SG = McCants
SG/SF = Miller, Brewer, Carney
SF/PF = Gomes, Cardinal
PF = Jefferson, Love, Smith, Madsen
PF/C = Collins, Booth
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#29 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Dewey wrote:I think Gomes wans to stay here and will likely re-sign a reasonable deal.

We really don't have any say anymore in the terms of whatever deal he signs. Either he signs an offer sheet with another team, and we match or not, or he signs the qualifying offer sheet of $1,001,269. Our side of the negotiations is over.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Dewey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I agree with you that we really have no negotiation stance, but we still need to sell him on the future of the team as all these changes take place - if his services are valued.

If Gomes should receive an offer-sheet from another team, we need to make it a simple yay or nay based on HIS feedback. I believe his feedback to the Wolves is mutually positive, and therefore, expect him back. The newly added SG/SF Carney is viewed as a wild-card (high-wire act) prospect with superior athleticism, whereas, the Wolves currently view Gomes as a known (lower risk) commodity at SF.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#31 » by deeney0 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:03 pm

klomp44 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I think Gomes wans to stay here and will likely re-sign a reasonable deal.

We really don't have any say anymore in the terms of whatever deal he signs. Either he signs an offer sheet with another team, and we match or not, or he signs the qualifying offer sheet of $1,001,269. Our side of the negotiations is over.

Not true. Gomes and the Wolves can (and presumably have been) negotiate a deal independent of the qualifying offer.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#32 » by revprodeji » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:28 pm

yup...^^^ I bet they are getting stuck on years still. Just a guess.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Dewey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:21 pm

All true, but I guess I make the assumption he's looking to guage his value via offer-sheet. Hard to say.

Nonetheless, I'm anxious to see McCants, Gomes, Carney, Brewer, and Miller battle for minutes. McCants (and possibly Foye) is our one true SG, while Gomes is the only true SF. Carney, Brewer, and Miller are more combo G/F's, and of the three, Miller is the best shooter, Brewer is the best defender, and Carney is the best transition player.

Carney: My knowledge of his performances are a little cloudy, but from what I saw, he did pretty well and I'm suprised we acquired him so cheaply. He's got the Memphis run in him, but I think his game IQ is a question-mark and a limiting factor for him in the NBA thus far. Similar to the SG who played along-side Rose this past year. I'm happy to give him some run.

Gomes: Has more power than quickness, but can be smooth. Has to lean how to maintain his intensity as he did later last season. If he'd pick it up defensively, he be a much more valuable SF/PF combo player.

Miller: Proven player. He's always reminded me of Szcerbiak (Ilike Wally) with more athleticism and little better ball-handling (less-turnovers). His defense (average) is also similar to Wally and can be exposed in certain 1-on-1 matchups, especially defending some of the SG's. The biggest difference compared to Wally is Miller can create more on offfense due to better athleticism and ball-handling skills.

Brewer: If he "continues" to improve his shooting as he did later last season and get stronger, he'll be the real deal. We know he's going to get stronger, and when he does, lots of things are going to come easier for him. The kid is 6'9" and runs like a gazelle, out-hustles most, and plays pretty good defense ... just wait until he becomes a legit scoring threat.

A nice blend of skills and capabilities. Curious to see who comes out on top.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#34 » by TheFranchise21 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 am

Dewey wrote:All true, but I guess I make the assumption he's looking to guage his value via offer-sheet. Hard to say.

Nonetheless, I'm anxious to see McCants, Gomes, Carney, Brewer, and Miller battle for minutes. McCants (and possibly Foye) is our one true SG, while Gomes is the only true SF. Carney, Brewer, and Miller are more combo G/F's, and of the three, Miller is the best shooter, Brewer is the best defender, and Carney is the best transition player.

Carney: My knowledge of his performances are a little cloudy, but from what I saw, he did pretty well and I'm suprised we acquired him so cheaply. He's got the Memphis run in him, but I think his game IQ is a question-mark and a limiting factor for him in the NBA thus far. Similar to the SG who played along-side Rose this past year. I'm happy to give him some run.

Gomes: Has more power than quickness, but can be smooth. Has to lean how to maintain his intensity as he did later last season. If he'd pick it up defensively, he be a much more valuable SF/PF combo player.

Miller: Proven player. He's always reminded me of Szcerbiak (Ilike Wally) with more athleticism and little better ball-handling (less-turnovers). His defense (average) is also similar to Wally and can be exposed in certain 1-on-1 matchups, especially defending some of the SG's. The biggest difference compared to Wally is Miller can create more on offfense due to better athleticism and ball-handling skills.

Brewer: If he "continues" to improve his shooting as he did later last season and get stronger, he'll be the real deal. We know he's going to get stronger, and when he does, lots of things are going to come easier for him. The kid is 6'9" and runs like a gazelle, out-hustles most, and plays pretty good defense ... just wait until he becomes a legit scoring threat.

A nice blend of skills and capabilities. Curious to see who comes out on top.

That's what Brewer is for. Brew takes the best of the two 2-3s.

In regards to the #34 pick, if we re-sign Telfair, is everything all good then? I mean, I would much rather have Telfair, a pure point who knows our system than Chalmers, a rookie, who didn't play PG full time in college. Even if Telfair isn't resigned, I still wouldn't've been comfortable with Chalmers as our backup PG. If Randy goes down, Chalmers is our starting PG, and that's a very scary thought. Right now we almost have to re-sign Telfair.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves