ImageImageImage

Does Carney's arrival....

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: Does Carney's arrival.... 

Post#21 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:54 pm

dunkonu21 wrote:McCants is always one of the first names mentioned when you hear about who is working hard. He is also the one who has buffed up to god like proportions since being in the NBA. He is also the one who came back from one of the toughest injuries for a bball player. His work ethic has been proven over and over again, I wonder if Tirion and Karch were not paying attention or if it's just selective hearing. He is also someone who wants to take the last shot, which is always a good quality in a player. McCants wants to be a superstar, Gomes knows he can't be one. Why do people want to sign long term bench players when we don't even have our starting five in order yet. Look at Boston, they made a starting five and their bench fell together after. Boston didn't build a champion by signing James Posey, Sam Cassell and PJ Brown and then think "WOW, KG would fit so well with these bench players we should get him too!" Why do you think the Wolves have had such horrible contracts for years and years, signing bench players and hoping they can be starters. We have tried keeping and attracting free agents, it doesn't work. Understand when it's time to try something new, like building through the draft.

Just a few points

-Its not that McCants wants to take the last shot, so much as he wants to take EVERY shot.

-Its been proven time and time again that Superstars alone cannot win championships. You need depth and solid, blue-collar role players that go to work when given the chance. Gomes is one of those and if we are indeed trying to eb a contender, I would like to lock him up now, of course I dont want to overpay

-Your Boston comparison is absurd to me. Without KG there, Posey, Cassell and Brown would have never jumped on the wagon. No one is gonna look at our team and say "Wow, they have Al Jefferson, oh snaps they have Rashard McCants too, sign me up!". As a matter of fact, leading up to and during the draft, I recall Rev talking about us shopping McCants pretty actively, only his value is so low, we couldnt get anything worthwhile.

If McCants STILL hasnt worked on his turnovers, defense, and bad shot selection threw the first 20 or so games, I would say its time to cut him loose.
sabonis11
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#22 » by sabonis11 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Right now we have a log jam at the 2/3 spot and we are going to have to try to move one of those guys for a pg. I know that bobcats fans aren't really into the idea of trading away felton (unless they get a deal that they couldn't possibly turn down) but I would love a mccants/gomes or cookie and 1 of our first rounders for felton/filler. Although I do like mccants work ethic and offensive potential, I do believe that he doesn't want to stay here and he could go back to NC and hopefully help them get some tar heel faithful to some games. This will also give us a little more wiggle room to see what brewer/carney can do.

would love to see some uptempo games with felton, foye, miller, love, jefferson

getting backed up by smith or gomes, brewer, carney, collins, booth, madsen, cardinal (front court depth is a problem obviously, but maybe we could throw in the celtics first for nazr as the filler)
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#23 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:17 pm

So 2 1st round picks for Felton+Nazr?

No thanks.
Hruska Varna
Ballboy

Post#24 » by Hruska Varna » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:26 pm

I'd look for McCants to be dealt soon. Unfortunately, he is such a poor presence + uneven performance + inflated view of himself his trade value is quite low. When McHale says, "we not quite done yet", what he doesn't say is, "cleaning up the attitude mess we made here". God only knows what McCants will be like when he is "playing for his next deal".

Gomes would be a great value in today's NBA at 5 years and $17.5 million.
IcemanMN
Sophomore

Post#25 » by IcemanMN » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 pm

The only sure thing is that the Wolves will sign (or trade for) a backup PG. However, I think McCants and Carney are competing for the backup SG position. Loser gets cut/traded.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#26 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 pm

casey wrote:
MN Die Hard wrote:MN made that trade for the draft pick, and if Carney provides anything worthwhile its a bonus.

Asked what he considered the best part of the trade, McHale said: “Rodney Carney."

that's a misrepresentation. Listen to the press conference. He says "Rodney Carney. A first round Draft pick. Calvin Booth." and then sort of dodges the question and jokes about Brand leaving the Western Conference.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#27 » by casey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:Listen to the press conference.

No.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#28 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Hruska Varna wrote:I'd look for McCants to be dealt soon. Unfortunately, he is such a poor presence + uneven performance + inflated view of himself his trade value is quite low. When McHale says, "we not quite done yet", what he doesn't say is, "cleaning up the attitude mess we made here". God only knows what McCants will be like when he is "playing for his next deal".

Gomes would be a great value in today's NBA at 5 years and $17.5 million.

TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves