ImageImageImage

Best Trade Ever?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

What was the Best Trade in Wolves History?

TPE for Carney + Booth + UTA protected 1st
3%
Mayo + Walker + Buckner + Jaric for Love + Mike Miller + Cardinal + Collins
17%
Mark Blount + Ricky Davis for Walker + Simien + Doleac + MIA protected 1st
42%
Garnett for Jefferson + Gomes + Telfair + Green + MIN 1st back + BOS prot 1st
17%
Marbury for Brandon + #6 pick
9%
just curious
11%

Total votes: 64

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Best Trade Ever? 

Post#21 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:15 pm

I had to go with the Ricky/Blount trade because that also lead to the Love/Miller aquisition. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#22 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 pm

well first you need about 6 lemons, you juice them, add 6 cups of cold water and a cup of sugar, garnish w/ lemon wedges
M-TownGrizz
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#23 » by M-TownGrizz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:22 am

lets not forget about the brandon roy for randy foye trade....lol... while roy is a star, i wonder how foye turn out to be :D
SoSick
Ballboy

Post#24 » by SoSick » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:28 am

Foye has always shown that he's near Roy's talent when he's healthy. I think Foye's biggest issue is health, not his talent.
"It's Basketball, You play it the way you know it"

-Kevin Garnett
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#25 » by farzi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:59 am

^ Their first year maybe.

Also, best trade will be the Love, Miller for for Mayo
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#26 » by Vindicater » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Foye for Roy

ROy will break his knee this year, i saw it in a dream

Meanwhile foye will average 28/11/8/3/2 with 0 turnovers.

BOOK IT
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#27 » by casey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:21 pm

SoSick wrote:Foye has always shown that he's near Roy's talent when he's healthy. I think Foye's biggest issue is health, not his talent.

Not really. Their rookie years the argument by Wolves fans on why Foye was better was because he never gets hurt and Roy always gets hurt. Roy's been a far superior player both years now. Foye, even when healthy, hasn't been able to stay in a starting role consistently on a team without any good PGs. Let's stop making excuses and just hope Foye can be a really good player at some point.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#28 » by Vindicater » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 pm

I agree.

Roy is SOOOOO far ahead right now that it makes me sick to look back at this trade
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
DG4L
Freshman

Post#29 » by DG4L » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm

I like Foye but the people who are still saying Foye = Roy are coming across as silly and desperate. I don't care how you want to apply Foye's stats per 48 minutes but the fact is after two years, Foye is so far behind in the comparison that it's going to take a lot for him to ever catch up.

I think Foye will end up being a good player that puts up nice numbers but I don't ever see him being the franchise player that Roy is with Portland.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#30 » by TheFranchise21 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 am

Oooh, franchise player? I wouldn't say that. He's very dynamic but he's not their franchise player. Oden or even LMA would be before he would. He's a very good player, but he's not close to being the second best player. LMA's ceiling > Roy's.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#31 » by deeney0 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:20 am

Ceiling, perhaps, but Roy right now >> LMA right now.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#32 » by revprodeji » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 am

Only if he gets that popular offseason surgery "nettagrowapair" right now he is too weak and unaggressive to be anything other than a compliment. A good compliment, but only Robin.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#33 » by farzi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:Oooh, franchise player? I wouldn't say that. He's very dynamic but he's not their franchise player. Oden or even LMA would be before he would. He's a very good player, but he's not close to being the second best player. LMA's ceiling > Roy's.

Around here it goes

Oden, then Roy, then Aldridge.

This past season without Oden...who was our best player bar none? Roy. Only one to even be considered for an All Star team? Roy. Aldridge has more upside, and, imo, will put up more ppg eventually, but Roy is the current (soon to be dethroned) face of the franchise, and the one we were going to build around until we got lucky with our ping pongs.

Anyways, what are the reports about K Love from practices?

He posterized me in highschool when he was a freshman and I was a jr. =(
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#34 » by Vindicater » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Roy would be the best player on the wolves right now. he would be our star (And I love Jefferson)

Roy has the complete package, plays hard, plays in control, can score, can defend, can pass, can dribble.

INjures are the only thin that will stop Roy becoming one of the better players in the NBA in 2-3 seasons.

He is going to be a stud
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#35 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:52 pm

The best players in the NBA are the elite athletes that learn the game as their career progresses: Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Howard, Paul, KG - the only one that doesn't fit that mold is Duncan, but his skills are so above and beyond that it doesn't matter that he's not the best; though as a very long player with a good 260 lbs of deceptive swimmer strength, I would still consider him an above average physical specimen.

Aldridge and Roy have limited ceilings based on physical limitations. Solid athletes with good skills, whereas the guys above are the best athletes in the NBA with good skills. If Roy was a bigman, he could be an elite player because he has terrific skills and good enough athleticism, but as a perimeter player, I wouldn't imagine him ever being amongst the best 5 or 10 in the game. He can't physically dominate from the perimeter against the Kobes of the game. The perimeter game is so reliant on physical explosiveness.

Aldridge really has no shot at being a franchise player. His skills are solid, his physical presence is solid; he can be a #2 guy, but not more than that. Thats my professional opinion.

Not to take anything away from the duo though, you put the two together and you can start to feel good about some future championship potential. And thats what its about - or should be anyways - chips, not mvps
DG4L
Freshman

Post#36 » by DG4L » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:53 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:Oooh, franchise player? I wouldn't say that. He's very dynamic but he's not their franchise player. Oden or even LMA would be before he would. He's a very good player, but he's not close to being the second best player. LMA's ceiling > Roy's.

Until we know what kind of player Oden will be in the NBA, I'd say that Roy is Portland's franchise player right now, but ultimately in his career, I see him being a great second option.

Roy is a better player than Aldridge and much more valuable to Portland IMO. I've watched him quite a bit in his first two years and I can honestly say that he makes that team go.
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by Carpe Diem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:24 pm

It must be the dog days of summer as we are having a conversation over who the "franchise" player is in Portland. I don't even know what that term means. But I suppose in the ESPN highlight, 10 second mentality world that sports have become, it does.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#38 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:36 pm

I don't have cable.

To me a franchise player to me means a guy who can out-perform anybody else in a clutch situation. The absolute best of the best. Kobe, Wade or Lebron; its almost splitting hairs who's the best, but when they're all healthy, any of the 3 could out-perform one of the others in a game 7.
On the other side of the fence - Gilbert Arenas? History says no, so he's not really a franchise player. KG you could make an argument against, though he's cut from the Bill Russell cloth - his game 7 deciding moment could come in the form of a blocked shot.

Brandon Roy has work to do if he wants to prove himself a franchise player, as most in this league do. He has the skills, but I'm not sure if that's enough. The NBA is so stacked these days and guys work so hard for 12 months a year, you have to have the complete package and Roy falls a little short athletically.
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by Carpe Diem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:53 pm

So for Devilzsidewalk it means clutch. But under that definition, has Kobe won sans Shaq; what has Lebron ever won; and was it Wade being clutch or the Mavericks choking it away? The only players under the "clutch" definition would be Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan. These three were the ones who were able to hit the shot under championship-level pressure in meaningful situations at meaningful moments.

I'd probably define "franchise" as the player on the team that when personnel considerations are being made is consided first and foremost. Under this definition, Al would be our franchise player. The consideration for all personnel moves would include, how does X mesh with Al. Towards this standard, I love the Love and Miller acquisition.

Others define it statistically (which makes little sense to me) or perceptually (who gets the most juice on ESPN), which infuriates me.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#40 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:06 pm

well you can't do it all by yourself, you have to have quality players besides the franchise guy to get you there, then the franchise guy finishes the kill

It was Wade being clutch. He kept attacking the Mavs couldn't stop him.

when you're at the highest level and the other team has to stop you, but they can't because there's nobody capable of doing so, then you're franchise

Lebron is almost impossible to stop. There's nobody you can put on him and stop him. You can put Ron Artest on Lebron in the last possession of a game 7, and if you don't bring help, you're done. You put Artest on Roy, and I'll take my chances with that defensive matchup.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves