shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,636

MIN-LAC-WAS MEM 

Post#1 » by shrink » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Just for giggles:

MIN GIVES: Ryan Gomes (5 mil S&T) + Booth
MIN GETS: Etan Thomas + Crittendon + MIN future 1st returned

They pay two years of salary for Etan, but get a decent back-up PG with potential, and their protected 1st back.

LAC GETS: Ryan Gomes
LAC GIVES: Tim Thomas + MIN Top 10 protected future 1st

Saves them a little more cap space to compete to offer a max deal, and replaces a negative-value Tim Thomas with Ryan Gomes. The Top 10 protected future 1st doesn't help now. This preserves their MLE to offer for someone else.

WAS GETS: Tim Thomas
WAS GIVES: Etan Thomas + MEM (Top 16) protected pick

They get a useful backup for SF/PF for a win now team, and remove the attitude problem between Haywood and Etan.

MEM GIVES: Crittendon
MEM GETS: Booth + MEM prot pick back

They get their pick back, remove PG clutter, and save future salary, since Booth's an expiring.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: MIN-LAC-WAS MEM 

Post#2 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:14 am

I love it for us. Etans contract falls perfectly with the 2010 plan and Java is a guy I have followed for a while now. Really good size for a Point. The pick back is just icing on the cake.

I think the Clips will be happy to turn TT into Gomes but at the expense of our pick back Im not sure. There isnt a guarantee that they dont start rebuilding all over again and then the pick is useful to them again.

Washington may like the fact that they get a floor spreader for a locker room problem. Not sure how they feel about the pick but I think it helps them more than hurts.

Memphis easily does this deal.

Good job shrink!
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by SonicYouth34 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:47 am

That's a great deal for everyone in IMO, and I especially like it for MIN. Javaris and Foye could be a dynamite scoring back court.
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
1,2,3 Ubuntu.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#4 » by revprodeji » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:04 am

I would rather have Lowry than Javaris. Much rather have Lowry than Javaris. Also, I think from a memphis perspective they would rather give Lowry than Javaris.

Otherwise, I do not see Memphis trading Javaris for an exp and their pick back. This is the guy they moved Pau for. Also, they need a 4 somehow in this trade. How about work something where Craig goes there and lowry comes here and we get something extra for craig. (or not, whatever)
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#5 » by the_bruce » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:27 am

Doesnt seem like a great deal for the Clips bare minimum I'd add to BOX pick to their end, and even that may not be enough. I dunno TT is useless to that team and gomes is a good upgrade and saves some cap so maybe this works.

On MEM end I'd send cookie. For the wolves I'd prefer Critt, but lowry may be a better fit and more available They do have way to many guards and Mayo + Conely are the future starters. So getting that pick back could easily return a player of Critt\lowry potential regardless of how much protection is on it. Darko\Arthur\Gay\Mayo\Conely
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#6 » by the_bruce » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 am

Also. I don't think this deal can work. MN would need to offload 300-400k for this to work as is. Plus I think Etan has a trade kicker?

Not that Im nit picking the basis of this deal is good, but I cant see where and how MN would offload and additional 1m+ to make this work. Actually removong Crit from the deal and using the GG TPE on him would make this whole thing work.

My only concern is our cap space and how taking an additional 8m affects us. Does it push mn into the lux?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,636

Post#7 » by shrink » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 pm

So you're going to make me work for it huh? ;)

I think you probably put more analysis into this than I did, but I gave the trade a second look:

I added up contracts with the storyteller numbers (http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/r ... laries.htm). This includes an estimate of $2,636,400 for Love, which shouldn't be too far off because of small variance rookie contracts are allowed under the CBA. The numbers came out like this:

60,484,841 Guaranteed contracts before the trade

+1,381,560 Crittendon
+6,864,200 Etan Thomas
+0,686,420 Trade Kicker of 10% for Etan (est)
-1,147,523 (Less Calvin Booth)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
68,269,498 Guaranteed contracts after trade

The lux is set for $71.15 million next year, so we'd still have wiggle room. This is fortunate, because I didn't include the QO's for Chris Richard ($886,517), which will probably be accepted, and the QO for Craig Smith ($972,581), which I assume someone else will outbid us for. Even if we keep both, to answer your question, the deal does seem to keep us under the lux, which would have been an automatic death sentence for the deal.

One issue I didn't bother playing with is that the CBA has a restriction on combining a recently traded player (Booth) for 2 months. However, my solution for this also solves your $300-$400K issue as well. Booth's salary matches with Crittendon, so it would work on their end as a seperate deal. I just hadn't looked into whether we can match salaries with Etan as a seperate deal.

Actually, it just dawned on me that financial restrictions can be met by doing these as non-simultaneous deals. For instance:

STEP ONE: Gomes ($4.76 mil) for Tim Thomas ($6.05) + MIN pick

STEP TWO: Tim Thomas for Etan Thomas + MEM pick

STEP THREE: Booth + MEM pick for Crittendon

I'll make one other other note. This ruins our chance of trading Craig Smith, because we wouldn't have the cap space to offer him a legit contract to trade. However, it is quite likely we couldn't have traded him anyway, because another team could outbid us, and we'd be reluctant to match.

Is it worth it to MIN to add two years of Etan's overpaid salary + Crit's salary, if we get back the MIN pick and our back-up PG? That's a tough question for me. We might be better off just sticking with Gomes, or maybe even if we got outbid for him, it'd be nice just to have the cap space (we could use it in a Craig Smith S&T). At least Etan's looking healthy, and it probably depends on how much use he'd get with Collins and Love around now, but I do like his defensive aggressiveness. I don't know how people feel about the pricetag, but I thought it was interesting.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

We can make a seperate deal *whisper* with memphis where we agree not to match the deal they offer craig. That would not hurt out cap in any form

I think Etan Thomas can be a good defensive back up if healthy. A much better Richard. I still would rather have Lowry than Crit. Crit does not look like a pg to me. Lowry is a good back up pg, and college teammate of Foye.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves