ImageImageImage

Posey signed with Hornets, time for McHale-Ainge trade again

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

IcemanMN
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Posey signed with Hornets, time for McHale-Ainge trade again 

Post#21 » by IcemanMN » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:55 am

Did the Wolves sign Smith in order to trade him? There are a couple of teams in the market for a PF, including Memphis.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#22 » by revprodeji » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:07 am

I would wonder that too, except people are saying Smith is headed to vegas to be with the team. if there was a s/t Smith and his agent would likely already know about it. You never know, but it seems unlikely.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#23 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:28 am

Very good acquisition for the Hornets. I don't mean to make Posey sound better than he is, but he can really put a team over the top looking for one more piece. He was no Pierce/Garnett for Boston, but he played a very key role for them as well as Miami's championship push. The Hornets look serious.

Boston needs to find a replacement for him. Gomes is probably as good as they can hope for. Also with Smith coming back and trading for Carney, minutes seem like they could be awfully hard to come by for Gomes...or Carney/Smith. An S&T would be ideal for us to get value back, but Gomes just signing there and us not matching seems like a very real possibility.

Tony Allen did play some PG for the Celtics this year when the were struggling with injuries, but he's not about to go Chris Paul on your ass.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#24 » by revprodeji » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:31 am

Considering New Orleans main problem was bench production and it is a good fit. He also provides serious experience.

Tony Allen is not a pg. Simple as that. He should never play pg. McCants is a better pg prospect than Tony Allen. He is a tough defensive bench sg, but he has very little skill when it comes to shooting or his own offense, let alone setting a team up.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#25 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 am

to be clear, I wasn't endorsing Tony Allen as a PG, I was merely stating that he did play it a bit when Boston basically had no other options.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
IcemanMN
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#26 » by IcemanMN » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:12 pm

The guy that we want from Boston is Eddie House, not Tony Allen.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#27 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:54 pm

not sure how much I want House either, I'm not a fan of the role-player-coming-off-a-championship-and-did-his-job-so-now-he-thinks-he's-worth-200%-
of-his-actual-value-just-because-he-didn't-choke kinda guys
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by revprodeji » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 pm

we would have to sign House to a nasty contract to make it work. House would be a good vet if his contract was short and small. (vet-experience, defender, shooter) but the fact is we could have had him for free last summer and now he is not worth what we would need to sign him to get him for Gomes.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#29 » by bruno sundov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:59 pm

House is a good shooter off the bench. Can hardly get the ball across half court. Ray Allen did that most the time. He is a great shooter though.

TA, can not shoot.Since his knee injury is reluctant to go to the basket. They tried him at PG and he just doesn't have the handle.

Scal, is actually a piece of meat. We call him vealchop. That what he is useful for, nothing.

Gomes is better than all those guys. Why wouldn't you want to keep him? He can play the 3 or 4 and has great range.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#30 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm

bruno sundov wrote:House is a good shooter off the bench. Can hardly get the ball across half court. Ray Allen did that most the time. He is a great shooter though.

TA, can not shoot.Since his knee injury is reluctant to go to the basket. They tried him at PG and he just doesn't have the handle.

Scal, is actually a piece of meat. We call him vealchop. That what he is useful for, nothing.

Gomes is better than all those guys. Why wouldn't you want to keep him? He can play the 3 or 4 and has great range.

I want Gomes, but I don't know if the front office has other plans since they re-upped Craig Smith, drafted Love, and traded for Carney and Mike Miller. There might not be much left for Gomes to make it worth the price.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#31 » by karch34 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:53 pm

bruceallen61 wrote:BOS fans might jump at something like:

Scal + cash + future 1st for gomes (s&t)

They should jump at it.

I'd hope if we were doing a sign and trade of an asset with value we'd be able to get something more than a horrible player and a pick a few years out that might or might not have value. I agree with rev that you make it a few years farther out when they don't have their big 3 if you deal with Boston, but Scalabrine is brutal.

How about Phoenix for the rights to Robin Lopez, Tucker, and filler? Lopez at least could help this team and Phoenix doesn't like to add salary.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#32 » by shrink » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:04 pm

karch34 wrote: How about Phoenix for the rights to Robin Lopez, Tucker, and filler? Lopez at least could help this team and Phoenix doesn't like to add salary.

That's not a bad idea. If sarver is able to find someone to take Diaw's lonf contract, I think the only other SF they have on the team is the delicate Grant Hill. It might be tough for him to pull the trigger, because he'd have to explain to fans why he was sending off their draft pick after he traded away/sold so many others.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#33 » by shrink » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 pm

I was just reminded that since Gomes' contract was so low, and reasonable amount is going to make him a base-year compensation player, and he'll be extremely difficult to trade. Unless I was able to put together a much larger deal (which is highly unlikely with so many components having trade restrictions), Gomes probably won't be traded.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#34 » by casey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 pm

revprodeji wrote:Eddie House would be an interesting pick-up. He is a very good defender, has vet experience and legit shooting range. The issue is he really is not a pg and the salaries simply do not match. (unless we crazy pay more for house)

Honestly Telfair>House, but House is not a bad guy.

You've been saying that for years for some reason. He's not.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#35 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:22 pm

shrink wrote:I was just reminded that since Gomes' contract was so low, and reasonable amount is going to make him a base-year compensation player, and he'll be extremely difficult to trade. Unless I was able to put together a much larger deal (which is highly unlikely with so many components having trade restrictions), Gomes probably won't be traded.

Apparently you don't remember that well-known axiom about hard work and dedication. Now lets do this.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#36 » by casey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:00 pm

shrink wrote:I was just reminded that since Gomes' contract was so low, and reasonable amount is going to make him a base-year compensation player, and he'll be extremely difficult to trade. Unless I was able to put together a much larger deal (which is highly unlikely with so many components having trade restrictions), Gomes probably won't be traded.

After throwing the numbers around a little, a Gomes for Scalabrine/Pruitt deal would work.

Boston out:
Brian Scalabrine - $3,206,897
Gabe Pruitt - $711,517
($3,918,414*1.25+$100,000=$4,998,017.50)
Boston in:
Ryan Gomes - $4,998,017

Minnesota out:
Ryan Gomes - $2,499,009 (BYC, 50% of actual salary)
($2,499,009*1.25+$100,000=$3,223,761.25)
Minnesota in:
Brian Scalabrine - $3,206,897
Gabe Pruitt - $711,517 (Minimum salary exception)
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#37 » by deeney0 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:18 pm

I'd rather just not pay Scal and Pruitt and have them take floor time away from the guys to me. That, to me, is a worthless deal, even if a late first or cash is included.
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by Carpe Diem » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:not sure how much I want House either, I'm not a fan of the role-player-coming-off-a-championship-and-did-his-job-so-now-he-thinks-he's-worth-200%-
of-his-actual-value-just-because-he-didn't-choke kinda guys

McHale would never drink that kool-aid!

Sincerely,

Troy Hudson
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#39 » by GopherIt! » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:51 am

^ whad up THUD. Long time fan. Any leads on selling the 79th copy of "Undrafted" yet? When does your new album "Injured Reserve 4Evah" come out? Thanks.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#40 » by karch34 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 am

deeney0 wrote:I'd rather just not pay Scal and Pruitt and have them take floor time away from the guys to me. That, to me, is a worthless deal, even if a late first or cash is included.

Agree 100%.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves