ImageImageImage

2008-2009 Season: Predict Stats and Impact

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Sephiroth
Senior
And1: 93

2008-2009 Season: Predict Stats and Impact 

Post#1 » by Sephiroth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 pm

With the team finally coming together and recent Summer League action – how well do you think these Wolves will perform?

STARTING 5

Al Jefferson: 23 PPG | 12 RPG | 1.5 APG | 1.5 BPG | 1 SPG | 51% FG.

Big Al will continue doing what he does – he’ll just be doing it with more ease. The additions of Kevin Love and Mike Miller will make his job much easier as Miller will spread the floor and Kevin Love will draw attention away from Jefferson.

Randy Foye: 14 PPG | 4 RPG | 6 APG| 1 SPG | 45% FG | 38% 3PT.

Foye’s assist total will go up not only because he’d have gotten better, but because the team is that much more talented than last season with Mike Miller and Kevin Love now with the Wolves. Foye will continue his strong 4th quarter finishes and help the team get some Ws.

Mike Miller: 16 PPG | 6 RPG | 5 APG | 47 % FG | 44% 3 PT.

M&M will step into this team as a 28 year old veteran. He will open up the lanes and the post as he’s deadly from beyond the arc. He’s going to make the lives of everyone on the basketball court that much easier (including the opposition)…j/k =)

Kevin Love: 11 PPG | 9 RPG | 2.5 APG | 1 BPG | 47% FG.

Love will be contributing right away because he’s going to get heavy minutes at the 4/5. He’s been impressive in the Summer League so far and I’m expecting him to continue his strong play throughout the season.

Corey Brewer: 7 PPG | 5 RPG | 2 APG | 1 SPG | 0.8 BPG | 40% FG.

Brewer will continue to struggle with his shot but will get more open looks. He’s been shaky in the Summer League so far, but I will expect him to show flashes of his offensive potential. With Big Love in the post Brewer should have more open looks on the opposite side of Mike Miller. Great hustle player that has the athleticism to be a factor in the league.

RESERVES

Rashad McCants: 14 PPG | 2 RPG | 2 APG | 48% FG | 42% 3PT.

McCants has something to prove this season. He’s on a contract year and as the primary scorer on the 2nd unit he will get lots of touches – he will score a lot. McCants will be in his 4th year and I believe he will mature into a team player, not force shots, and score more efficiently with open looks.

Craig Smith: 8 PPG | 5 RPG | 55% FG.

Smith will be the primary post scorer on the 2nd unit and will continue to do what he does best – score on a high percentage.

Team Totals:

93 PPG
43 RPG
19 APG

The guys below won't contriubte much statistically so add a few pts, rebounds, and assists.

Collins will be used as a defensive presence and will be great when paired with either Big Al or Kevin Love. I’m thinking he’ll be the first big man off the bench when either Jefferson or Love goes to the bench – not the “sexiest” player off the bench but will get the job done (defend and hustle).

Carney won’t be getting too much PT because Brewer and Miller will split time at the 3 and McCants/Brewer/Miller will split it at the 2. He’ll probably see 70 or so games with 8-10 MPG.

Brian Cardinal will probably get some playing time at the 3 or 4, depending on the matchups. Probably hit some clutch threes here and there – other than that not much else. :wink:

Don’t know if we’ll sign Gomes or Telfair yet, but if we do they’ll have significant roles on this team.
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Re: 2008-2009 Season: Predict Stats and Impact 

Post#2 » by Howler21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Up Foyes point total by four and I think youre spot on.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Tekkenlaw » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 pm

I see Foye putting up 18-20ppg and the rest of the team deferring to him as he establishes himself as the second option.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#4 » by shrink » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:24 pm

I agree with upping Foye's points. Great post sephiroth.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#5 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't know. I think Foye is capable of 18-20 ppg but with the other scorers on the team and the lack of other PGs, he will likely be forced to defer more often than he would like. Maybe 15-16 ppg and 6-7 apg for Foye.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#6 » by the_bruce » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:18 pm

imo:
Foye, Jefferson, and Miller are all potential 20ppg scorers on this team.
Jefferson and Love both have potential to average a double double
Foye, Miller, and Love should all average 4+ apg

The main problem is we need a guy who gets in the lane. I'm not sure if Foye can do this, its my biggest question mark for the team. This team has nobody who will put the ball on the floor and take it to the rack. Foye and McCants can both do it, but don't rely on it.

It's to bad we cant trade Collins + Cardinal for a SG that is out of favor or a bad contract. Maybe a guy like Hughes. Snyder woulda actually been a good fit for that roll.

I dunno I'll withhold judgement till I see if McCants can put something together defensively.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#7 » by Tekkenlaw » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:49 pm

I think we will be fine with Randy Foye being a score first PG. Our offense runs through Al Jefferson, Foye just needs to get the ball into him and get behind the arc or run the pick and roll with Kevin Love. Mike Miller can bring the ball up court and set up the offense as well, so Foye can play off the ball.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#8 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Tekkenlaw wrote:I think we will be fine with Randy Foye being a score first PG. Our offense runs through Al Jefferson, Foye just needs to get the ball into him and get behind the arc or run the pick and roll with Kevin Love. Mike Miller can bring the ball up court and set up the offense as well, so Foye can play off the ball.

I dont want Miller bringing up the ball. Foye needs to prove whether he can run the show or not. This is his season to prove his PG skills. Dont take the ball out of his hands. Miller needs to be running spot 3's and coming off screens, not bringing the ball up court and setting the offense up.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#9 » by deeney0 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:43 pm

I'd be very surprised if Mike Miller gets 5 assists the way this team is put together. I'm not sure how much Foye will end up scoring, but I think Al will end up with more than 22 ppg. 24-25 seems quite attainable to me. I think Randy will shoot better than 38% from three. If Corey gets but 2 assists per game, it will be a disappointment.
GeorgiaWolf
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#10 » by GeorgiaWolf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 pm

I think Al's reb numbers go down because of Love and picking the #2 option between Miller/Foye is a crapshoot...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,197

Post#11 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:21 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if our starting lineup on the first night consisted of

Foye/Brewer/Miller/Jefferson/Collins.

This gives us a current second unit of

????/McCants/Carney/Smith/Love.

I'm fine with that right now.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#12 » by gold0259 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:39 pm

PG Telfaire
SG Foye
SF Miller
PF Love
C Jefferson

Foye is not a point guard, all of these kids coming out of college think they can play that position when it is clearly not the case.

Mike Miller controls the ball often, sort of the Scottie Pippen mold, even with Miller handling the ball we still need a PG.

I suspect Ahearn will make the club and we will resign Telfaire. Telfaire should come on the cheap as I don't see many teams offering much for him, as we have seen this has been a tight summer cash wise for a lot of teams for "sub stars".

Ideally it would be nice to be able to resign Gomes and Telfaire for around 3 million each
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,197

Post#13 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:30 am

Jerry Zgoda's thoughts: http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wolves ... mment-4667

Considering they went 17-26 in the last half of the season, added Love and Miller, re-signed Gomes, Telfair and Smith, presumably will have Randy Foye healthy from the start and their core of young players should be a year better…I’d say they should approach .500. I’d guess 38 wins, if I had to guess. Not enough to contend for the playoffs, I don’t think, but it could get them late in the lottery and cost them that first round pick they owe the Clippers if they don’t draft in the Top 10.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves