No Love for Love at SI.com

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Re: No Love for Love at SI.com 

Post#21 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:31 am

aznjustice14 wrote:
i just can't help noticing the similarities...sorry for all of you who may think that this is all a bunch of bs from a troll or w/e...but i'm just expressing my honest views
similarities:
6'9 PF
overweight with knee issues
ranged shooter
good array of moves in the post
average passers (in love's case a great passer)
strength/width to box out and get rebounds over taller players
lack of athleticism and therefore not good guarding fast PFs
great summer league debuts

this is ridiculous. May barely got picked in the lottery (13th) because he sucks (just my honest opinion) while Love was widely regarded as a legit top 3-5 pick. Love ain't Superman, but he sure as hell is no Sean May.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#22 » by Wingman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:59 am

cool_guy
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#23 » by cool_guy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:50 am

Had we have Mayo, and he turns out to be no good, we won't have as much frustration when Love turns to be no good. This is the bottom line. Trade gave fans plenty of reasons to be suspicious about what we are suspicious about.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#24 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:02 am

aznjustice14 wrote:i just can't help noticing the similarities...sorry for all of you who may think that this is all a bunch of bs from a troll or w/e...but i'm just expressing my honest views
similarities:
6'9 PF
overweight with knee issues
ranged shooter
good array of moves in the post
above average passers (in love's case a great passer)
strength/width to box out and get rebounds over taller players
lack of athleticism and therefore not good guarding fast PFs
great summer league debuts

I do not consider you a troll, I just think you do not have a solid understanding of Love, or you have high hopes for May. Couple factors to consider.

--Love had an amazing freshman year in the pac 10. (mvp) May was not really a stud until later in his career.
--Love is 19, May was older when drafted
--May has attitude and desire concerns, Love is the prototype for both of those.
--Love has one of the highest BBIQ's to be drafted in the last couple years. Simple as that.
--Love is a much better shooter than May
--Where is the "lack of athleticism" coming from? Compares well to Al Horford and has serious "small space quickness" May is just a bad defender.
--May is a decent rebounder, Love is a very very good rebounder.

In a nutshell, Love had the crazy desire to be the best teammate, make the others around him better and improve. Which ironically is the biggest weakness of May and the reason he has yet to be a starting NBA talent.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#25 » by Vindicater » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Love will be love will be love will be love

god i hate the offseason
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#26 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 pm

I like Sean May quite a bit and there are similarities in their games, but as far as their similarities, Love just has too much baby fat from not having a great diet growing up, but thats far different fro somebody that abuses their body w/ alcohol and maybe other things while staying out late and not resting.

They may both look similar from afar, but whats flowing around inside is night and day. There's a lot of factors involved, and the biggest thing Love has going for him is I don't get the sense that he's a victim of life's vices. I think he's in the NBA now and truly wants to take full advantage of his potential. He seems like a guy who's biggest priority is his potential, while May seems like a guy who's biggest priority is having fun. Thats a major major difference in how their careers play out.

I don't understand how Love's minor knee surgery is such a huge issue, while Brandon Rush has major knee surgery and nobody says a word. Oden gets a knee surgery and he's already penciled in for rookie of the year and maybe an honorary ROY award for last year just for good measure.

I hope he stays healthy; seems like a lot of people really like him, but there's a contingent that really wants to seem him fail. Not you AZN, but some other people out there like that Mannix would seem to feel very vindicated if he has career-ending injury just to massage their egos so they can be right.
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#27 » by Vindicater » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 pm

He will be fine.

I expect him to play around 70-75 games over the course of the season and out numbers around 12/8/2

If he does that I will be extremely happy
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#28 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 pm

12/8/2 if you're talking rebounds, assists, and blocks

I mean seriously, its Kevin Love people lets raise our expectations a little, then raise them a lot more
Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#29 » by Jonathan Watters » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:20 am

I think the comparisons to Sean May have some vailidity.

On one hand, May's weight and knee issues hurt his draft stock much more than Love's did, and Love is obviously quite a ways ahead of May at this stage of their respective careers.

Still, Sean May didn't explode at the college level his freshman year because of the severity of the issues mentioned above, not because he wasn't a talented player. May was clearly the best player in the country in March of 2005, and I'm not sure how much better Love would have been as a Junior.

I would go so far as to say that May is/was actually a better back to the basket scorer, and may have had more athletic upside before the injuries. Love has the edge as a rebounder, passer, and shooter.

Obviously Love's prognosis is much better than May's when May was just the 13th pick in the draft, but the Bobcat fan is right that May appeared to be on his way to at least semi-stardom before the knee injury. Not a true star, but David West-caliber numbers were certainly possible if not likely.

Will Kevin Love ever be that good? I think most Wolves fans would be satisfied if he got to that stage...
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#30 » by commadoor 64 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:12/8/2 if you're talking rebounds, assists, and blocks

I mean seriously, its Kevin Love people lets raise our expectations a little, then raise them a lot more

Are you selling any of that you're smoking? :lol:
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#31 » by Vindicater » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:12/8/2 if you're talking rebounds, assists, and blocks

No, I mean points, rebounds and assists. I think they are reasonable numbers that are getable. If he does better then this then I will love him even more. But if puts these numbers up in about 30 minutes per game? Then im going to be happy with selecting him
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#32 » by deeney0 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:09 am

Kevin Love is not going to average 2 blocks a game as a rookie. Only nine players averaged 2 bpg last year. Sean Williams lead all rookies at 1.45. If Love gets that, it'll surprise me. Horford had 0.94. I think Al is going to have a lot more block opportunities than Kevin, like Josh Smith did in Atlanta next to Horford. I expect Love to end up around 1 +/- 0.3 bpg or so.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#33 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:40 pm

12/8 sounds about right for his first season considering 1) Wittman et al like to start rookies off slowly, 2) He will be competing for minutes with Al, Smith, Collins, and Gomes for at least the first half of the season, 3) He will be playing against much stronger competition nightly for the first time, and 4) He will likely hit the "rookie wall" at some point (particularly if he expends a lot of energy with the USA Select team). His ceiling is obviously much higher than those numbers but for his rookie year, they seem reasonable.
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#34 » by Vindicater » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:58 pm

2 blocks a game is NEVER gonna happen for Love. Even when hes in his prime.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#35 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 pm

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
GeorgiaWolf
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#36 » by GeorgiaWolf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Robbery...
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#37 » by Rocky5000 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:23 am

Oh No, he uses pump fakes..... If pump fakes stop working in the NBA, Big Al will be screwed next year...
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#38 » by Vindicater » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:15 am

bah

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves