Dooling Contract

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

tvwolves7
Junior
And1: 1

Dooling Contract 

Post#1 » by tvwolves7 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 am

Hi,

First time posting here. Glad to see others as enthusiastic about the timberwolves as I have been for a long time.

Anyways, with Keyon Dooling signing for 3 years 9 million. I wanted to hear what others thought on how this might affect what Telfair will get for contract offers.

Keyon Dooling averaged:

8.1 ppg
1.8 apg
.85 to
18.5 mpg

Sebastian Telfair:

9.3 ppg
5.9 apg
1.85 to
32.2 mpg

I have read people do not want Telfair for more then 2 years and under 3 mill. I personally would love to see that too, but with Doolings signing I think it will be harder for the Timberwolves to give less then what the Nets gave Dooling. Others thoughts?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Re: Dooling Contract 

Post#2 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:45 am

different type of players. Bassy is a true pg, Dooling is a combo. Dooling is much better on defense, but Bassy is a much better passer and playmaker.

fact is we do not know the amount or years yet, but I think Dooling was considered a better fA prospect because of the untapped potential (could he still learn the pg?) size and defense.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#3 » by Basti » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm

revprodeji wrote:different type of players. Bassy is a true pg, Dooling is a combo. Dooling is much better on defense, but Bassy is a much better passer and playmaker.

fact is we do not know the amount or years yet, but I think Dooling was considered a better fA prospect because of the untapped potential (could he still learn the pg?) size and defense.

isn't Dooling the league for more than 5 years now? considering potential I'd give Bassy the nod but as you said it they are different kind of players so it is hard to compare them
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 pm

I wanted Dooling because he's got way higher shooting percentages and he plays defense. Perfect for our backup PG. And I want a scoring threat backup PG because the bench offense is kinda weak.

Bassy averages more assists, but they're mostly of the meaningless variety. I just like Dooling's offense and defense more than Telfair.

I just don't know what exactly it is that Telfair does. He doesn't finish at the rim, he doesn't hit from 3, he doesn't play defense. I guess it's a moot point now and I'll just hope he steps up his game this season for a change.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:because the bench offense is kinda weak.

but they're mostly of the meaningless variety.

What is a meaningless assist?

btw, how is our bench offense going to be weak this year? Likely we will have cookie (10ppg) Shad (15ppg) as well as maybe Gomes and Carney off the bench. I would argue that we need a ballhandlier that can push tempo and the get the scorers the ball.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:36 pm

revprodeji wrote:What is a meaningless assist?

swing over to McCants or Gomes for a spot up jumper or dump down to Al for a hook shot

compare to Nash or Paul, besides the gorgeous alley oops, those guys are such offensive threats they can penetrate the lane and draw huge attention and dish off to guys for open lay ins around the basket or open threes

Bassy is such a non-threat offensively he doesn't draw much attention

for the bench we'll have to see who starts I guess
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,942

Post#7 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:15 pm

revprodeji wrote:I would argue that we need a ballhandlier that can push tempo and the get the scorers the ball.

Someone like Telfair?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 pm

exactly..^^
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#9 » by prefuse73 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:02 pm

I think Telfair fits perfectly. He is a good change of pace from our scoring PG Foye. Whats this no defense stuff...he may not be a shut down guy, but telfair can stay with any pg in the league. He has the tools to be adequate defensivley. Furthermore, we can sign Blake Ahearn as our scoring threat and 3rd pg and he can handle the instant offense that some of you think dooling could have provided.

good sign.
tvwolves7
Junior
And1: 1

Post#10 » by tvwolves7 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm

I appreciate all the feedback, I think some might have interperted my question wrong in asking if we should have gone after Dooling or if he is a better fit. My question was simply if he recieved 3 years 9 million, where do you see Telfair should fall. Seeing now he has a multi-year contract I am even more curious if he recieved 2 or 3 years and the amount. Anyones thoughts? Personally I feel it was 2 years for 5.5 mill.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:21 pm

you're right, I'm being unnecessarily critical of his defense, but thats because he doesn't compensate with whats supposed to be his strength - offense; you have some advantages somewhere

Telfair has been in the league for 4 years and his coming out party is 9/6 w/ 40% shooting

But considering the alternatives available now, he's the best one out there, I shouldn't complain too much since he's getting paid meagerly. He can break a full court press, thats for sure. Just wish he'd be more dangerous off the dribble. Kills me that his quickness doesn't give him more of an advantage there
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#12 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:20 am

second unit:

Telfair
McCants
Gomes
Smith
Collins
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#13 » by TrentTuckerForever » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 am

tvwolves7 wrote:Hi,

First time posting here. Glad to see others as enthusiastic about the timberwolves as I have been for a long time.

Anyways, with Keyon Dooling signing for 3 years 9 million. I wanted to hear what others thought on how this might affect what Telfair will get for contract offers.

Keyon Dooling averaged:

8.1 ppg
1.8 apg
.85 to
18.5 mpg

Sebastian Telfair:

9.3 ppg
5.9 apg
1.85 to
32.2 mpg

I have read people do not want Telfair for more then 2 years and under 3 mill. I personally would love to see that too, but with Doolings signing I think it will be harder for the Timberwolves to give less then what the Nets gave Dooling. Others thoughts?

Welcome, tv. Maybe Dooling's contract is why McHale gave Telfair the 3rd year... I disagree with that (especially at his option) but Telfair is a good fit for this roster, I guess.

The real problem with them giving 3 guaranteed years to a backup PG is that it gives me Troy Hudson flashbacks. "No THud, don't shoot it again!"
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#14 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:27 am

Look at the bright side TTF, we might be blessed with a Sebastian Telfair album down the road!
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#15 » by TrentTuckerForever » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 pm

4ho5ive wrote:Look at the bright side TTF, we might be blessed with a Sebastian Telfair album down the road!

That's not funny - THud was an abonination both as a rapper and ball player (with the exception of the playoffs before his contract year, of course.) I do wish I knew how to do those photo-manipulations... Telfair would look hilarious with THud's ponytails on his noggin.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves