ImageImageImage

Should this team go after Okafor?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Should this team go after Okafor? 

Post#1 » by Tirion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I think he would be nice to pair with Big Al and Love. With that deal Wolves will solve all their frontcourt defensive concerns. Okafor will bring defense and shot-blocking, something that team needs. But what will it take to get him, considering that Big Al, Foye and Love are off bounds? Miller+Gomes(sign and trade)+1st? Miller+Smith+1st? Miller+McCants+1st?
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Re: Should this team go after Okafor? 

Post#2 » by prefuse73 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:18 pm

We need to keep Miller... I would say we should offer Collins (exp), McCants, Smith and a 1st.

Okafor (30) - Jefferson (18) - Richard
Jefferson (18) - Love (30) - Pops (hopefully)
Miller (20) - Gomes (28) - Carney
Brewer (24) - Miller (14) - Foye (10)
Foye (24) - Telfair (24) - Ahearn
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#3 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:25 pm

I would not give up Miller.

It all depends on what char wants. (dont bother going to their board, I am sure they want Lebron)

If we could work something out for multiple picks then I would do it. If they want McCants or Gomes I would too.

I would not trade Al/Love/Brewer/Foye/Miller/our 1st. Otherwise anything else would work. The idea of a dominate 3 man big man rotation is crazy cool for me.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Tirion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:26 pm

prefuse73 wrote:We need to keep Miller... I would say we should offer Collins (exp), McCants, Smith and a 1st.

Okafor (30) - Jefferson (18) - Richard
Jefferson (18) - Love (30) - Pops (hopefully)
Miller (20) - Gomes (28) - Carney
Brewer (24) - Miller (14) - Foye (10)
Foye (24) - Telfair (24) - Ahearn

naw, charlotte would never accept that.
also he's a BYC player, so there's some CBA restrictions too.
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Howler21 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:33 pm

I would rather we give the Jefferson and Love combination a year to see what develops. If that doesn't work we can draft a Husky....Thabeet.
prefuse73
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by prefuse73 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:34 pm

...ohh yeah...I hate byc.

I never said it was good deal for charlotte, but it is all I would offer. I would think about taking smith out and adding Gomes. Max offer = Collins, McCants, Gomes (s&t) and Bos. 1st. subtracting gomes means more time for Brewer and Carney...

Okafor (30) - Jefferson (18)
Jefferson (18) - Love (30)
Miller (36) - Carney (12)
Brewer (28) - Foye (14) - Carney (4)
Foye (22) - Telfair (26)
prefuse73
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by prefuse73 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Thabeet should be our target next year...but I think he will end up going in the top 5 and hopefully with Love and Miller, we will be in the 7-10 range. We could pull a chicago, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Tirion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 pm

revprodeji wrote:I would not give up Miller.

I would not trade Al/Love/Brewer/Foye/Miller/our 1st. Otherwise anything else would work. The idea of a dominate 3 man big man rotation is crazy cool for me.

okafor is a legit starting bigman, very good shotblocker and a double-double threat every night. plus he's still young. those kind of guys don't come cheap. I would give up anyone/anything for him exept big al and maybe foye and love.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#9 » by PeeDee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Give me Deng instead.
Howler21
Senior

Post#10 » by Howler21 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:49 pm

prefuse73 wrote:Thabeet should be our target next year...but I think he will end up going in the top 5 and hopefully with Love and Miller, we will be in the 7-10 range. We could pull a chicago, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Hibbert was considered a top 5 pick going in to last year. I can bet on atleast 5 incoming freshmen showing enough flash to knock him down in to that range. The heat pick could possibly net him too so its a wait and see.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#11 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 pm

revprodeji wrote:I would not give up Miller.

It all depends on what char wants. (dont bother going to their board, I am sure they want Lebron)

If we could work something out for multiple picks then I would do it. If they want McCants or Gomes I would too.

I like Miller a lot for this team, but I'd give him up to get Okafor, then resign Gomes. Miller > Gomes, but the Wolves improvement at the 4/5 spots would be worth it.

S&T Okafor for Miller, Collins (exp.), Miami 1st

Wolves roster would be -

Gomes/Carney
Jefferson/Love
Okafor
Brewer/McCants
Foye/Telfair

...with Booth, Madsen, Cardinal and another point guard riding the pine. Pretty nice. It's not like Thabeet is going to be an immediate double-double guy like Okafor is now.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Mcfale313
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Post#12 » by Mcfale313 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 pm

he might be a good fit along side Al due to his defensive minded style.....but hes probably going to demand a lot of money from us after his current contract expired next year.....and hinder Love's progress on the front court, I'll have to see how much he's willing to sign for an extention first coz i dont want to see us having no cap space in 2010 FA market
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#13 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:34 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:
I like Miller a lot for this team, but I'd give him up to get Okafor, then resign Gomes. Miller > Gomes, but the Wolves improvement at the 4/5 spots would be worth it.

S&T Okafor for Miller, Collins (exp.), Miami 1st

Wolves roster would be -

Gomes/Carney
Jefferson/Love
Okafor
Brewer/McCants
Foye/Telfair

...with Booth, Madsen, Cardinal and another point guard riding the pine. Pretty nice. It's not like Thabeet is going to be an immediate double-double guy like Okafor is now.

Agreed. I like Miller a lot, but our front court would be set for years with a move for Okafor. A player like Miller would be easier to find, IMO. The problem would be Miller doesn't really fit a need for Charlotte at SG/SF with Richardson and Wallace at that position already and making a lot of $. Of course while they might want to trade Okafor for a big, who's offering?
prefuse73
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by prefuse73 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 pm

meh...If it came down to Miller as the deal breaker, I would rather go for Thabeet who is at least over 6'10. Thabeet would come of the bench and spell both Love and Jefferson and gives us a potentially dominating defensive presence...not just a good one. Additionally, Has Okafor played a full season as of yet?
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#15 » by 4ho5ive » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 pm

If the cost is Miller, its not worth it IMO. Miller will help this team more with his shooting and ability to spread the floor then Okafor will. His defense is very good and he is active, but Love is just as much a double-double threat IMO. Maybe not right out of the gate but I think by the end of the season. Okafor is going to want a big contract too and who knows if he keeps up the 10/10. It completely ruins any 2010 FA plans we had.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#16 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 pm

PeeDee wrote:Give me Deng instead.

Sounds good. What are you thinking of offering?

Then Chicago can trade Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, and a pick in a S&T for Okafor.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#17 » by Winter Wonder » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 pm

To be honest, I think Okafor would be an ideal fit for the Wolves. The problem is the immense difficulty we would have trying to create a trade to get him with the numerous restrictions we have on all of the newly aquired players, be it signings or trades. Once these restrictions were gone, we could look into it, but it doesn't seem viable in the immediate future.

Shrink can correct me if I am wrong, but recently aquired players via trade cannot be traded for a certain period of time (2 or 3 months?) unless it is a one for one swap. This means, we can't match Cardinal and Madsen in a trade, nor Miller and Cardinal, etc. for quite some time. Okafor will probably have found a home by then.

Additionally, Okafor may be a BYC issue. Again, I can't explain all the intricacies as well as others, but long and short of it, he costs one team more in cap space than the other which further increases our difficulty in landing him.

That all being said, value-wise it would be tough since he has been the face of Char franchise, and getting offers considered fair by both teams would be difficult at best and Okafor may have to be paired with another piece on Char's side to minimize the BYC effect.

Okafor + (Felton, Wallace, Morrison are some of the tradeable pieces) for ???

We start talking about some serious numbers and contracts that need to be moved.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#18 » by PeeDee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 pm

karch34 wrote:
PeeDee wrote:Give me Deng instead.

Sounds good. What are you thinking of offering?

I dunno, a big contract next offseason?
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#19 » by the_bruce » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:00 am

Meh I'd do
Madsen + Brewer + s&t gomes for deng for what he was offered last year

...and I like brewer a lot....i might even toss in the mia 1st

Love
Al
Deng
Miller
Foye

Sick
aznjustice14
Sophomore

Post#20 » by aznjustice14 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:54 am

i just wanted to let you guys know....what u guys are offering as "potential" trades is completely pointless....we would not be giving up okafor for a shooter in that plays positions where we already have two solid starters. what we need is a frontcourt presence to replace him and i kno you guys dont want to trade jefferson or love so nothing would ever really work out. and about the bulls thing...we would be stupid to pick up hinrich considering the solidity of our guard positoin right now and the complete mystery of our frontcourt now with okafor about to leave and may coming back from two seasons worth of injuries.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves