ImageImageImage

POLL: Use BOS pick to Move Cardinal?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you use BOS pick to move Cardinal?

No - forget 2009, eat his contract for a year, and stick with 2010
22%
Yes - I'd lost the late pick to have salary cap room in 2009
78%

Total votes: 9

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,649

POLL: Use BOS pick to Move Cardinal? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:54 am

In another post, I've mentioned the four benefits to moving Cardinal to maximize space under the cap in 2009:

1. Get a Free Agent we can Use
2. Get a Free Agent we can Trade
3. Trade 2009 Cap space to a Team over the lux for assets
4. Trade 2009 Cap Space to a Team to get under the salary cap to make an offer

And the risks involved in putting all our eggs in the 2010 basket, against many other, more desirable free agent destinations. I want to be able to have the financial muscle to be able to act on any 2009 opportunities, but others disagree.

I floated this idea on the Trade Board:

Your Expiring for Brian Cardinal ($6.2 mil) + Uta 1st (Top 22 protected) or BOS (Top 3 protected) + $3 mil in cash

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=844476&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

.. and got several takers.

MIL: Damon Jones (exp) + Adrian Griffin (ung)
SAC: Mikki Moore (exp), Bobby Jackson (exp)
OKC: Desmond Mason, others (exp)
NJN: Stromile Swift (exp)
DAL: Stackhouse (partially guaranteed in year 2)
NYK: Malik Rose (exp)
IND: Marquis Daniels (exp)
CLE: Eric Snow (exp)

Now, I realize its really easy for fans to spend their owner's money to get a pick, but I'm curious what you guys think. We have potentially four picks next season. Would you give one up to dump Cardinal for 2009?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Re: Would you use BOS pick to move Cardinal? 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:17 am

The Indy trade I would do because he's also the combo guard we want, which would eliminate the need for Ollie or Ahearn too, saving another roster spot.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mcfale313
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Re: POLL: Use BOS pick to Move Cardinal? 

Post#3 » by Mcfale313 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 am

i'd do it if we can get some kinda combination of unguaranteed contract/young player/cash/3rd string veteran PG better than Ollie/7 footers back.

Cardinal wont play for the wolves much anywayz, he wont see the court very often behind our front court rotation unless serious injuries happen
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:32 am

I don't like giving up picks, theres pretty good history in that 20-30 range of the 1st round. The Wolves need a #1 option kind of guy, otherwise they should just accumulate supporting talents and its better to draft it than to overpay for it in free agency.

Now if the argument is that there's an impact player we can get in free agency, then I need to see names, because I don't think there is.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:44 am

Easier said then done.

I don't think any GM out there is going to spend $6.2 million for a late first round pick in what is being called one of the worst draft pools in years.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#6 » by shrink » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:28 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:Easier said then done.

I don't think any GM out there is going to spend $6.2 million for a late first round pick in what is being called one of the worst draft pools in years.

It's actually $3.75 mil. Assuming salary-matching in Year One, the team would need to pay Cardinal's $6.75 mil in Year Two, but $3 mil would be defrayed by Taylor's cash. To be honest, we don't know how much a late pick is worth, because when a team has been willing to sell one, they've always received the $3 mil max that the CBA allows, and that's happened regardless of draft year.

The bigger question I think, is whether the teams are under the lux after adding the year. Since the $3 mil cash is off-the-books, it would cost a team who's completely over the lux $10.5 mil (($6.75 x 2)-$3). I'm skeptical of the NYK and DAL offers, regardless of what their fans say.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#7 » by skorff26 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:10 am

I would do any of them, and I would move either of the Boston or Utah picks.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves