ImageImageImage

What did we get for Chalmers again?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

johnny_sack
Ballboy
And1: 0

What did we get for Chalmers again? 

Post#1 » by johnny_sack » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:46 am

2 (likely) Late 2nd rounders and a few $... Hmmmmm how do you guys reckon that is going to pan out in the scheme of things??? He's looking like an exciting prospect - will be rooting for him to do great (especially given his rough intro to the L - due to his own bad judgment) - tinged with a bit of what could have been... :(

Anyways he looks like a definite draft steal - for Miami... As an aside Livingston is getting a bit of burn in the PS - surprisingly...
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Re: What did we get for Chalmers again? 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:48 am

Well at the tine we thought we were keeping Mayo/ If we knew we were rolling with Love we would have kept Chalmers.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#3 » by the_bruce » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:49 am

i think 2 or 3m? plus the picks. It was a solid offer, but there were at least 5 players on the board who were worth picking that slipped to the 2nd round for a cheap look.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#4 » by casey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:58 am

Calinks3 wrote:Well at the tine we thought we were keeping Mayo/ If we knew we were rolling with Love we would have kept Chalmers.

Not necessarily. We drafted Chalmers because that's who Miami wanted. Who knows who we would've taken if that trade wasn't in the works.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#5 » by miamiballer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:54 pm

wow so miami owes you a lot

a future 1st rd pick and 2 2n'd's

ouch

either way, i wish we could take back the ricky davis trade but im happy w/ the chalmers trade so it kind of evens out
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,642

Post#6 » by shrink » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:43 pm

MIA had three second round picks in 2009, and we get the lower two.

However, I think that the 2009 draft isn't very deep, so they are all longshot powerball tickets. Or maybe we use them as grease to get other deals done.

Say MB, are you guys in Miami calling him "Super-Nintendo Chalmers" too?
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#7 » by miamiballer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:03 pm

eh sometimes, more common is superintendent
cmc32124
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by cmc32124 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:34 pm

actually, we sold the pick before any names were mentioned. We didnt draft Chalmers, we sold the rights of the pick before it was used to Miami and then they told us who to pick.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#9 » by casey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 pm

cmc32124 wrote:actually, we sold the pick before any names were mentioned. We didnt draft Chalmers, we sold the rights of the pick before it was used to Miami and then they told us who to pick.

no
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#10 » by cpfsf » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:37 am

johnny_sack wrote:2 (likely) Late 2nd rounders and a few $... Hmmmmm how do you guys reckon that is going to pan out in the scheme of things??? He's looking like an exciting prospect - will be rooting for him to do great (especially given his rough intro to the L - due to his own bad judgment) - tinged with a bit of what could have been... :(

Anyways he looks like a definite draft steal - for Miami... As an aside Livingston is getting a bit of burn in the PS - surprisingly...

-Getting rid of Blounts contract
-Getting rid of Ricky Davis
-Getting a future first round pick
-Getting Pekovic
-2.8 million trade exception helped the Wolves acquire Carney and a first round pick (thanks to the Blount/Davis trade)
-Losing Chalmers for 2nd round picks and cash

Thinking the Heat got a steal at the expense of the Wolves, priceless

We can say things like we could have had Kobe Bryant, we could have had Michael Redd, and we could have had Steve Nash. At the same time we had Minnesota fans hoping we would trade our young talent (Foye, McCants etc) for Allen Iverson, we could have fallen in the lottery and drafted 5th causing us to not even get Mike Miller, and we could have not even drafted Kevin Garnett to begin with. I don't care what ESPN believes, we are a team on the rise.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#11 » by skorff26 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:54 pm

bruceallen61 wrote:i think 2 or 3m? plus the picks. It was a solid offer, but there were at least 5 players on the board who were worth picking that slipped to the 2nd round for a cheap look.

I'm pretty sure it was 2 million in cash and 2 2nd rounders

-it was a decent deal since most 1st rounders are sold for 3 million in cash; we got 2 million and 2 2nd rounders
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,642

Post#12 » by shrink » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:16 pm

skorff26 wrote:
bruceallen61 wrote:i think 2 or 3m? plus the picks. It was a solid offer, but there were at least 5 players on the board who were worth picking that slipped to the 2nd round for a cheap look.

I'm pretty sure it was 2 million in cash and 2 2nd rounders

-it was a decent deal since most 1st rounders are sold for 3 million in cash; we got 2 million and 2 2nd rounders

I think you're both right. My frustration is that after the season, one of the guys (Deandre Jordan, CDR, Chalmers, Jawai, Harden, Dorsey, Bill Walker or someone else) will do well, two will fail miserably, and large number of casual wolves fans will say, "See? I knew <insert good player here> would be great! McHale @$#%@s!" I like the idea of using 2nd rounders on high risk, high upside players, but the offer was a decent one. I'm not even bothered that our two picks are the lesser of the two in 2009, since I think that any 2nd rounder will be a longshot.

cmc32124 wrote:actually, we sold the pick before any names were mentioned. We didnt draft Chalmers, we sold the rights of the pick before it was used to Miami and then they told us who to pick.

That's the way I understand it as well, and that this trade was made before the Mike Miller trade happened, and we were looking at Jaric to earn back a little of his contract being a safety PG.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves