How the hell are we supposed to win?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

How the hell are we supposed to win? 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:21 am

Seriously? If you are up by nine with 4 minutes to go and you can't hold on to the game... How are we supposed to win players like Ryan Gomes who has been playing great at the 3 gets put back to PF for the last 25 minutes? How are supposed to win one minute players like McCants are getting yanked for making one little mistake and then the next they are encouraged throw the ball up every time they can see the rim?

What has Kevin Love done to deserve being benched when he could helped us win a game? How is Gomes a better person to have at the 4 when we need to hustle and grab boards? How do you not get the ball to your go to guy, Al Jefferson for the last 20 minutes of the game? Where is the logic? Why are we putting ourselves into these horrible positions?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Re: How the hell are we supposed to win? 

Post#2 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 am

We won't win. Not with Twit at the helm and a few cancers that are on this team, that we drafted.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#3 » by hijacktheparade » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 am

Wittman's coaching decisions make ZERO sense. Seriously.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#4 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 am

I'm like heartbroken over here man.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#5 » by hijacktheparade » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 am

At least we're all heartbroken together. I'm glad I joined this forum.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#6 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:31 am

My big question was were was Brew in the last 10 minutes when we couldnt score??? Thats when you need your hustle/garbage points guys out there especially if they can get a freakin stop on the other end. Playing him 17MPG wont do. Craig Smith and Gomes at PF in pivotal points in games wont cut it.

What the hell is Millers problem, this doesnt look like the guy who was a lights out cold blooded shooter is his past years.

Witt is still the main problem though. If i have to I'LL pay his salary so we can fire him.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:37 am

Theres no reason to be heartbroken. Its not like we were any good last year.

We were expected to be relatively better with a year under our belt...but if you've lived through the Wolves, you'd have thick skin.

This doesnt bother me at all, infact I'm very used to this team being perennial losers, and cheering on losses for a higher draft pick.

I wouldnt be surprised by Thanksgiving I'll already begin counting on losses to get a high draft pick.

I'd be more surprised if I even still cared about this POS franchise
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,850

Post#8 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:41 am

It starts at the top and works its way down. Kevin Mchale needs to go, now I don't know if that will ever happen at this point but if not we in the very least need to have a competent coach with experience (i'm looking at you Jeff Van Gundy!) and we need someone other then Mchale making draft day decisions.

Look at the New York Knicks, they had an overhall at coach/gm, and they mostly have the same team but are performing much better then last year. The team has talent, you look at the statistics and the Wolves are near the top in assists per game, near the top in points per game and all of their games have been close.

So first and foremost, Wittman needs to go but i'm sure all of you know that already. There are also real problems with this teams chemistry/makeup. We need to trade some players starting with either McCants or Foye, I think this project may take a little longer then we initially thought.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#9 » by AQuintus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:14 am

4ho5ive wrote:
What the hell is Millers problem, this doesnt look like the guy who was a lights out cold blooded shooter is his past years.

No, he looks like the second option on a 20 win team, Oh wait, that's exactly how he's looked in his past years.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#10 » by drza » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 pm

Seriously, I fell asleep with about 5 minutes left in the game. The Wolves had stormed back in the 3rd and taken over the game. With the lead at about 10 and the way the game was going, I woke up fairly confident the Wolves had won. Checking the scores this morning was a bit of a shock.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#11 » by hard49 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:26 pm

AQuintus wrote:
4ho5ive wrote:

No, he looks like the second option on a 20 win team, Oh wait, that's exactly how he's looked in his past years.

Yep, I been trying to tell Memphis fans this for awhile. Ideally he is a non-option spot up shooter. He is a luxury bad teams can't offord at his salary and game impact. Plus he is a known choke artist.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#12 » by revprodeji » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:10 pm

OP: all those are coaching things. That is becoming obvious.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#13 » by GopherIt! » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:06 pm

the 28, 20, 31, 33 OJ Mayo has put up the past four games is kinda depressing too...
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#14 » by prefuse73 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:16 pm

uuuggghhhhh! I will still take the mayo - love,miller trade, it is Foye that is making the deal look bad and really pissing me off. He is not making any impact what-so-ever. Give me Roy....yes thats right, I finally sided with the dark side....give me Roy any day of the week.

Foye needs to be shipped out with Collins for a younger athletic big (if possible)

I am willing to give Miller some time to find his place and Love has done literally nothing wrong. He may not be super athletic, but the Love/Jefferson/(1 more athletic big) rotation could be great for years to come.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#15 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 pm

dont you guys think your over-reacting just a little

its a new team and we are only 6 games in :wink:

plus i still feel we are a few pieces away from being at portland level from last year,no team rebulds in 2 years and most at least have 1 no 1 pick
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
archerdino
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by archerdino » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 pm

I dont think anybody here is actually over-reacting, we have already given Wittman 2 years to prove himself, and yet what we are seeing games after games is that the team cracks on 4th quarter and we lose by tiny margins. Now he is trying to blame the players for his own failure, WTF, give me a break.

We all agree coaching is the main problem right now but i wonder what would it takes for the FO to realise they need to replace Wittman? We need a coach with a proven record, not someone like Casey or Wittman who has the "potential" to be good.

I still believe in this team, Love has shown that he can play, he just needs to find his place to fit in, and the same goes for Miller. Foye needs more games, he is very inconsistent right now and has not got a touch. All these can be improved, if they are receiving the right coach. I am really sick of seeing Wolves losing one game after another when we actually have enough quality to play better.
Vega06
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Vega06 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:37 pm

If we had a coach that knew how to use screens to get a man open and put us in a position to succeed Mike Miller would be fine. Putting up 9 shots isnt going to do it he's clearly not a one on one type of offensive player. It's not Millers fault that our coach has no idea how to use him. Just like its not Gomes' fault he's not good at PF those are all coaching decisions IMO
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:16 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:dont you guys think your over-reacting just a little

its a new team and we are only 6 games in :wink:

plus i still feel we are a few pieces away from being at portland level from last year,no team rebulds in 2 years and most at least have 1 no 1 pick

I'd say we're more then just a few.

Theyve got a better C

just as good PF

better bench

better, no wait, much better shooting guard

better role players

much better coach

one of the best GM/president combos in the game.

Theyre where we wanna be. Unfortunately we have no maestro that can get us there
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#19 » by deeney0 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:42 pm

I was all for giving RSW the whole season, but I never imagined the Wolves would start this poorly. I'd let him go at this point, give Sichting or JB a 75 game job interview.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#20 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Sichting

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves