ImageImageImage

Fantanking

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

bman
Ballboy
And1: 0

Fantanking 

Post#1 » by bman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:30 am

Is it too early to start? I seriously find myself not that disappointed toward the end of the games when we are gifting games away. Something in me has now been conditioned to think, "its ok, it means a better draft pick". I should probably feel bad for this, but I don't. Maybe it is my coping mechanism. Whittman, keep him, it means a better draft pick. Mccants, keep throwing up shots, it doesn't matter if you are stunting the flow of the offense, or that you don't have a good shot to take, it means a better draft pick. Never run an offensive play for Love, its ok, it means a better draft pick. Brewer(who i actually like), keep shooting, it means a better draft pick. Telfair, you too, keep shooting, it means a better draft pick.
Anyway, I know that it is early, really early, but I am officially Fantanking. Some of you may not think this loyal of me, but you are only avoiding the inevitable. You too will soon enough be Fantanking.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: Fantanking 

Post#2 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:31 am

Nope. I for one will not be caught in it. You play the game to win, and dont give me any crap about tanking now so that you can be better later and win then, thats bull****. You never tell kids its ok to lose, to not try their hardest and thats what tanking is.

Some may say im overly optimistic, honestly i thought thats what being a fan is all about. Defending your team through the 1-8 starts. Im not ignorant in that i think we can make the playoffs, but still, i just never want to be apart of the "its OK to lose crowd".
walchy
RealGM
And1: 923

Post#3 » by walchy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32 am

never have, never will. get out
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#4 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:03 am

i want to see the players improve

but right now i see no improvent from any of our young guys
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,354

Post#5 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 am

I can't stand tanking with 15 games left. No way in hell can I enjoy tanking 8 games into the season.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#6 » by hijacktheparade » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 am

Too early to be having this discussion, I think.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#7 » by southern wolf » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 am

Something in me has been conditioned to think, "If we keep losing, we're gonna waste a high draft pick and find ourselves in the exact same position next season."
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#8 » by Basti » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:12 am

all I want to see is that our players develop, remain competetive and win here and there. I lowered my expectations already but I won't support tanking. no way.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#9 » by Dewey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:33 pm

First, we do need to consider having Wittman, but I'd give him until the end of December for the team to start showng the right signs. Else, go find a good veteran coach. I'd like to see both Flip and Casey back at the same time, but assuming that is unlikely, there are other good assistants out there.

Fantanking: The team deserves nothing more than "Fantanking" right now, and everyone of them shoul be taking this losing personnel. On and off the bandwagon is one thing, this is another.

Ultimately, Target Center should be packed full of pissed-off fans who are sick of their poor performances - until we see change.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#10 » by hotshotschamp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:47 pm

nba is a superstar league...

Al Jefferson is our only legit star

Winning is nice and everything, but at best this is a 25 -28 win type team.....

Lottery helps build teams, if your GM can make the right picks. Sometimes you need brutal seasons to build back up. Not getting 5th or 7th pick types but top 2.

We are going to miss playoffs this year I would rather add a rubio/griffin/derozan than say a guy that will go 8th or 9th.

Wolves only have 1 kid on their squad right now, you can say with pure confidence is a big time ballplayer.
collin_k41
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#11 » by collin_k41 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Here's the thing...we have too much youth already. If we are going to blow it this year then we should be showcasing the young guys that we don't want and trade them at the deadline. We don't need to end up like atlanta was..rebuilding for a ton of years in succession. My point is, we need to do everything we can to win this season. This has been talked about everywhere but I'll say it again...Wittman is most of the problem!! Get him out and I guarantee we'll end up a better team. Bottom line..Screw tanking
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#12 » by TMo519 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 pm

I guess my question would be, would you rather have the team have some success, you know, learn how to win in the 4th occasionally, improve as players, build a winning culture period? Or would you rather keep stockpiling losses that do nothing but continue to breed a losing personality for the franchise and bring more young players into that losing atmosphere? It's not like there's a LeBron in the next draft or somethin, I for one want as many W's as possible at this point because we already have young talent. If that young talent could produce wins, that would do wonders for us going forward. Tanking now would only set us back further. It's alright if you believe this team doesn't have the talent to win basketball games ever, but if this team did make a run and finished with 35 wins, you don't think that would be a boost to the franchise to know that this thing is going somewhere?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#13 » by C.lupus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 pm

I pretty much agree with everyone else here.

The lottery is a consolation prize. It is not and should never be the goal of a team.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#14 » by revprodeji » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Rubio likely wont be out this year.

I do not advocate purposely losing because you develop a mentality that can be a cancer to the team. If players do not play to win, then you will never win.

My hope right now is in the fact that Wittman either needs to improve or will be fired. Also, the young talent we have on this team is very nice, we just need the coaching change.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Post#15 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:59 pm

no for Blake Griffin on this team. Yes for Deroza,Thabeet,Harden and Homer pick Aminu :D
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#16 » by deeney0 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 am

Fantanking? Looks like a portmanteau of Fran Tarkington.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves