ImageImageImage

POR-MIN

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,647

POR-MIN 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 am

I try to bring over some of the best trades from the boards, and here's one from one of POR's best posters:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=869906

Spykes wrote:Mike Miller
Brian Cardinal

for

Raef LaFrentz
Channing Frye
Blazers 2009 First Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

Why for Minnesota?

The Wolves instantly save money (thanks to the insurance that'll kick in on Raef's contract in a few games here) and they become potential players in the 2009 FA class. All in all, this is basically a salary dump move them. They also get a free look at Frye and a First Round Pick.

One could argue that Minnesota isn't exactly a place where NBA players flock to as FA's. While this has some truth to it, the cap space the Wolves open here could also be used in a trade since they'd be able to take on more salary than they send out. Potentially allowing them to get a really good player for essentially nothing.

Why for Portland?

They get some veteran SF help with Miller. He's on a shot contract and both him and Cardinal will be expiring next year, right before the big 2010 FA class. And thanks to the Miles situation, Portland might take a look at seeing if they can actually try to position themselves for some cash in 2010. Getting rid of their 2009 1st round pick would be a start to not taking on extra salary that they don't really need at this point.

Blake/Sergio/Bayless
Roy/Rudy/{Webster}
Miller/Batum/Cardinal
Aldridge/Outlaw/Randolph
Oden/Przybilla/Diogu

Does anything need to be adjusted here?

breaker91 wrote: Por gets Miller, Cardinal and Smith

Minny gets Outlaw, Frye or Diogu (take your pick), Lafrentz and Por's 09 1st round pick

.. or Webster instead of Frye + 1st?
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Re: POR-MIN 

Post#2 » by Wingman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:14 am

I'd do either deal. Especially the second one. I'd love to have Outlaw on the team.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#3 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:25 am

Don't like helping Portland, but trade seems to make sense for both teams if MN is actually planning on shopping in the 2009 FA market.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#4 » by B Calrissian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 am

Yeah both those are good. Outlaw would be the clear choice between those three. Your idea of Webster/Raef is the best though, the Wolves have enough draft picks.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#5 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 am

I'd be on board with anything in the original post.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#6 » by AQuintus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:32 am

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=4924878

I've had similar trade thoughts with Miller going to Portland...

POR GETS: Mike Miller
MEM GETS: Travis Outlaw
MIN GETS: Mike Conley + Channing Frye + Ike Diogu

It probably wouldn't be overly hard to fit Cardinal into the deal, too, but at this point, I don't see the Wolves realistically trading him. Especially with Brewer out for the year and McCants firmly stuck to the bench.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#7 » by B Calrissian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 am

The Grizzlies wanted Sergio+Outlaw for Conley. Also Sessions+Alexander is a better than just Outlaw.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#8 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:38 am

I'd love Outlaw on this team..man that would be so sweet.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#9 » by AQuintus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:41 am

B Calrissian wrote:The Grizzlies wanted Sergio+Outlaw for Conley.

True, but Portland obviously didn't think he was worth that much, and his value has only gone down since that rumor came out. Conley has been moved to the bench and at least one Memphis poster has come to these boards talking about possible rumors of Mayo moving to the 1, so Memphis might not be looking for as much as the were a few months ago.

Also Sessions+Alexander is a better than just Outlaw.

Also true, but until an actual deal goes through, that deal is just idle speculation and there is no proof that either Milwaukee or Memphis thinks that that deal is close.
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:42 am

B Calrissian wrote:Yeah both those are good. Outlaw would be the clear choice between those three. Your idea of Webster/Raef is the best though, the Wolves have enough draft picks.

Oops. I just wanted to say it wasn't my idea .. I was just trying to summarize the thread quickly, and couldn't tell who first came up with this idea.

The idea here for POR is that even though POR could still be under the salary cap in 2009 despite Darius Miles, that now it might be better to go for wins now, and consolidate space in 2010. POr will certainly be a desirable free agent destination in either case, and they'll have a better feel for what type of FA they need. However, 2010 includes big new contracts for Roy and Aldridge might mean getting out of Webster's $5 mil would be helpful.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#11 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 am

I love the Miller/Cardinal/Smith for Outlaw/(Frye or Diogu)/LaFrentz/1st deal. Smith just doesn't belong on a team that has both Love and Jefferson. Portland could probably get better use out of him. I really like the idea of Outlaw in a Wolves uni.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#12 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:55 am

if we could swing for outlaw I would do it. perhaps we could get one of the pg instead of the lotto pro pick?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#13 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 am

Outlaw seems a player that could explode if given some consistent minutes.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#14 » by B Calrissian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 am

AQuintus wrote:
B Calrissian wrote:The Grizzlies wanted Sergio+Outlaw for Conley.

True, but Portland obviously didn't think he was worth that much, and his value has only gone down since that rumor came out. Conley has been moved to the bench and at least one Memphis poster has come to these boards talking about possible rumors of Mayo moving to the 1, so Memphis might not be looking for as much as the were a few months ago.

Also Sessions+Alexander is a better than just Outlaw.

Also true, but until an actual deal goes through, that deal is just idle speculation and there is no proof that either Milwaukee or Memphis thinks that that deal is close.

I agree that he is not worth what either of those deals would bring back but I do think he is worth more than Outlaw alone. Even if he and his potential are just sitting on the bench.

Shrink wrote:Oops. I just wanted to say it wasn't my idea .. I was just trying to summarize the thread quickly, and couldn't tell who first came up with this idea.

The idea here for POR is that even though POR could still be under the salary cap in 2009 despite Darius Miles, that now it might be better to go for wins now, and consolidate space in 2010. POr will certainly be a desirable free agent destination in either case, and they'll have a better feel for what type of FA they need. However, 2010 includes big new contracts for Roy and Aldridge might mean getting out of Webster's $5 mil would be helpful.

I just assumed the Webster trade was your idea, thats my bad I should have read through your post better. I figured the Webster deal had to do with Miles going back on their cap. It would be nice to do that deal and then I could think the Wolves benefited from the Blazers misfortune. MMWAHHAHA (evil blazer hating laugh)
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#15 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 am

I like Breakers trade ok, not the other one.
shrink
RealGM

Post#16 » by shrink » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:29 am

We get an added benefit here that while it makes us a bigger player in 2009, it simultaneously removes POR. One POR fan wanted to do it just to pay MEM back for messing up their 2009 Free Agent plans!
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#17 » by B Calrissian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:33 am

shrink wrote:We get an added benefit here that while it makes us a bigger player in 2009, it simultaneously removes POR. One POR fan wanted to do it just to pay MEM back for messing up their 2009 Free Agent plans!

That is funny. It also reminds me.. that three team deal by aQuintus had the Grizzlies and Blazers both in it. I can't see a trade involving those two teams happening for a long time.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#18 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:37 am

Just a thought. If we bring in Outlaw in a deal like this that gives us great capspace in 09, who do we go after. Marvin Williams would probably be redundant at that point, Boozer doesnt fit anything, maybe a vet SG? Ben Gordon?

Im not saying its not a reason to do the trade, I would LOVE to have Outlaw, just unsure of our 09 FA opportunities. Cap space would still be good to absorb a star through trade.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#19 » by Basti » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:38 am

is there any chance Petteri Koponen will be traded? I'd love to have this guy on our team. a friend of mine has some relatives in the city in Finland where Koponen is from. my friend's cousin told me that he heard that Koponen used to party allnight before playing games in his domestic league and yet he tore up the league he played in. I don't know how much truth is in it though.

anyway, I prefer the 2nd deal. I'd do either one though. Miller has been a disappointment for us so far and we could use some expiring or preferably an athletic small forward.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#20 » by AQuintus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:52 am

B Calrissian wrote:
shrink wrote:We get an added benefit here that while it makes us a bigger player in 2009, it simultaneously removes POR. One POR fan wanted to do it just to pay MEM back for messing up their 2009 Free Agent plans!

That is funny. It also reminds me.. that three team deal by aQuintus had the Grizzlies and Blazers both in it. I can't see a trade involving those two teams happening for a long time.
'

I didn't even think of that when I made it, but you're probably right. Even if the two teams got on the phone with each other, I don't think that they would be able to make out a trade over the sounds of their swearing. :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves