ImageImageImage

potential update clev miller trade

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Re: potential update clev miller trade 

Post#21 » by shrink » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:29 pm

karch34 wrote: - I think the key issue is do you think you'll get a better offer next year vs this year? If you think there's a legitimate chance you get a young player that would be a key addition to our core in a trade next year, than you probably lean towards waiting. If that's not the case, then you trade this year for the expirings.

Another great point. A few people on the boards think Miller's struggles with his shot have damaged his trade value, but the majority do not. I think people would be more confident if he could come up with a 22-point game sometime soon.

The advantage to a team trading for Miller now is that they improve their team for a 2009 play-off run, and a 2010 play-off run. Does that counter-act the poor play, and the extra cash needed this year? Probably. The teams most likely to trade for Miller are contenders.

For us, the question becomes whether the cap space is needed this year, as you stated. A lot of this pressure came from the decision to buy out Hudson and Juwon. Once those guys were bought out, they couldn't be traded as expirings. However, their value comes back in trade in 2009. Sure they were gone either way, but if we can get far enough under the salary cap, then we have trade power and free agent power. In other words, trading Miller and Cardinal aligns all our big deals into having lots of power in a single year. It doesn't expire if we wait until 2010 to use it, but doing the trade gives us the advantage that we can take advantage of opportunities and bargains that arise in 2009. Its a good deal IF those opportunities for trade or FA arise. Otherwise, waiting for Cardinal to become an expiring next summer, and reverse his trade value, becomes the smarter play, IMHO.
WallyWorld
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#22 » by WallyWorld » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:32 pm

karch34 wrote:
WallyWorld wrote:This makes things really interesting for the Wolves. I love the '09 vs. '10 debate.

Part of me wishes we could trade for an expiring WITHOUT giving up on Mike Miller. I just see him and Cardinal as a pretty valuable trade package next season. There are other smaller deals we can make to accumulate more assets and get some more cap space. Should getting 14 million in extra space be a top priority? Or would a smaller deal, which would allow us to amortize our cap space over two seasons, be both more efficient and exciting for us fans? As I have said in other threads, Craig Smith/Mark Madsen for a smaller expiring come to mind immediately.

Here's my thoughts on the subject:
-Miller is going to be a tradeable asset this season or next. The difference is his value as a piece who can help a contender this year and next vs. his value as an expiring next year.

-While I like Miller, it's become clear that he's not part of the long term and his minutes might be better used helping develop a younger player. More importantly the contract doesn't make sense for us.

-I think the key issue is do you think you'll get a better offer next year vs this year? If you think there's a legitimate chance you get a young player that would be a key addition to our core in a trade next year, than you probably lean towards waiting. If that's not the case, then you trade this year for the expirings.

-I also think that moving Miller this year doesn't hurt our ability to make a trade next year. Being under the cap we wouldn't have to match salary so a team trying to get under the cap for 2010's FA run would still be able to get out of a long term deal by trading with us.

-There's also the slight possibility that getting a player that works well for us in the 2009 FA (most think Marvin Williams) could make us appealing as a an up and coming team. That might give us a better advantage in 2010 FA than just being farther under the cap than anyone else.

Karch - Good post. I guess I cant free myself from the mindset that every team is trying to trim their payroll to free up money for that summer, and was simply looking through green colored glasses.

Maybe havent factored in that Miller as the player could be enticing as well. My main issue with that is from a value standpoint, does Mike Miller and a first round pick (which also has $$ liability attached to it) give Cleveland enough value to justify them adding another 14 million to the payroll? To us fans these things seem silly, but to an owner in a rough economy it makes all the difference. its a matter of 14 million bucks. Thats a lot of money.

I see and agree with moving Mike to CLE, but I guess Im not sold on Cleveland doing it. I just feel as if they will get a better offer, or not see the avlue worth the added money; and im not so sure our FO is ready to give up on Mikey just yet.

Pee Dee - Good call but my opinion on the resigning is a simple matter of Gomes. I think Gomes returning was up in the air and we bit on Craigers first. Moving him right now eliminates quite a bit of redundancy on our roster, improves cap flexibility, and moves Love in into the starting spot (which would be quite refreshing).
WallyWorld
Analyst

Post#23 » by WallyWorld » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 pm

shrink wrote:
karch34 wrote: - I think the key issue is do you think you'll get a better offer next year vs this year? If you think there's a legitimate chance you get a young player that would be a key addition to our core in a trade next year, than you probably lean towards waiting. If that's not the case, then you trade this year for the expirings.

Another great point. A few people on the boards think Miller's struggles with his shot have damaged his trade value, but the majority do not. I think people would be more confident if he could come up with a 22-point game sometime soon.

The advantage to a team trading for Miller now is that they improve their team for a 2009 play-off run, and a 2010 play-off run. Does that counter-act the poor play, and the extra cash needed this year? Probably. The teams most likely to trade for Miller are contenders.

For us, the question becomes whether the cap space is needed this year, as you stated. A lot of this pressure came from the decision to buy out Hudson and Juwon. Once those guys were bought out, they couldn't be traded as expirings. However, their value comes back in trade in 2009. Sure they were gone either way, but if we can get far enough under the salary cap, then we have trade power and free agent power. In other words, trading Miller and Cardinal aligns all our big deals into having lots of power in a single year. It doesn't expire if we wait until 2010 to use it, but doing the trade gives us the advantage that we can take advantage of opportunities and bargains that arise in 2009. Its a good deal IF those opportunities for trade or FA arise. Otherwise, waiting for Cardinal to become an expiring next summer, and reverse his trade value, becomes the smarter play, IMHO.

Decisions Decisions! Cant wait to see how it plays out.

I guess from a smaller deal standpoint, it allows us the ability to try both scenarios. Do we really NEED 21 million in cap space this summer? Maybe if we can get someone like Raymond Felton AND Marvin Williams in free agency/trade (how sick would that be?)....but is putting all of our eggs in 1 basket be worth it at this point?

By freeing up enough cash to sit in the 10-12 million dollar range, we still have a fantastic amount of flexibility. We also get to keep Miller/Cardinal the players, and Miller/Cardinal the 2010 trade assets.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#24 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:48 pm

What matters to Cleveland is whether they have a realistic shot at resigning LBJ is 2010. Personally, he's probably going to get a lot more endorsement money in NY or somewhere else, so he is likely gone. They have this year and next year to win a championship, and then possibly re-build from scratch. They are looking for a deal that makes them better this year and next without hurting their potential rebuilding efforts post 2010. Miller and Cardinal fit the bill, if they believe them to be better than Wally.
WallyWorld
Analyst

Post#25 » by WallyWorld » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Id also like to remind everyone that we are goinm to have resign Randy Foye in 2010. Im guessing that isnt exactly going to be a "cheap" deal like Telfair/Gomes/Smith.

That is going to make a difference in how this team is built. We wont shoot high above the cap.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,030

Post#26 » by mg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:09 pm

I think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of the economy. As I watch my League Pass I'm seeing more and more empty seats in arenas around the league. By the offseason when teams are sitting on more losses and the cap/luxury limits possibly go down we could see some very good players salary dumped. No it won't be the LeBron James or Wades types but some all-stars could be available in trade simply for capspace. Should see some free agent bargains too. It could also be another year where teams sell their picks for cash. The wolves could be sitting in a good place if they get ahead of the curve and get as far under the cap as possible now.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#27 » by GopherIt! » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I don't like that ROI for Miller. Couldn't we trade Shad to CLE and then move Miller to someone like POR or TOR to land at least a mid first rounder or a young wing for him?
WallyWorld
Analyst

Post#28 » by WallyWorld » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm

GopherIt! wrote:I don't like that ROI for Miller. Couldn't we trade Shad to CLE and then move Miller to someone like POR or TOR to land at least a mid first rounder or a young wing for him?

I hear ya, but these trades are for money purposes only. Obviously the talent doesnt match up, but the idea of having 14 extra mil in cap space in 2009 is what is causing people to lick their chops.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#29 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:46 am

what worries me the most about trading miller to cleveland is there no sure thing that we are gonna be able to get a decent free agent this year or next

what makes anyone think we can get marvin williams ,why would atlanta not keep him for ?why would he wanna come to minnesota?
i think we are better of going the same way as boston in rebuilding and that is trading for superstars which means next year cardinal and miller exp mixed with as much young talent and picks as possible becomes important
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#30 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:52 am

You can forget about Miller or any SG to CLE because West is only going to be out 2-3 weeks.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#31 » by karch34 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:16 am

wolves_fan_82au wrote:what worries me the most about trading miller to cleveland is there no sure thing that we are gonna be able to get a decent free agent this year or next

what makes anyone think we can get marvin williams ,why would atlanta not keep him for ?why would he wanna come to minnesota?
i think we are better of going the same way as boston in rebuilding and that is trading for superstars which means next year cardinal and miller exp mixed with as much young talent and picks as possible becomes important

I agree that even if we have the space there's no guarantee a big name free agent signs with us. I think it's good to plan that way, but we can't pin our hopes on it and not have contingency plans. I'd say even if we don't get the big name we still have options:

1) With limited teams having space available we could still get a player or two who would help. (Combine those with what should be one to two decent draft picks)

2) We could still do trades for superstars being under the cap would just mean that we don't have to match salary to do it. Not having a big expiring, yet being under the cap wouldn't prevent a deal for a superstar.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:03 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:You can forget about Miller or any SG to CLE because West is only going to be out 2-3 weeks.

Wrong. Wiretap says 5-6 weeks.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:04 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:
TheFranchise21 wrote:You can forget about Miller or any SG to CLE because West is only going to be out 2-3 weeks.

Wrong. Wiretap says 5-6 weeks.

Damn ESPN Coast to Coast was wrong.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,387

Post#34 » by younggunsmn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:44 pm

I can't believe you guys are already throwing miller under the bus and willing to move him for expirings. He will have more value when he recovers from his ankle injury fully and gets his shooting stroke back, and he and cardinal will have more value in 2009 as expirings. Think it of as holding a stock that you know is going to go up until a certain time. The closer you get to the 2009-2010 trade deadline you get the more they go up. In my opinion we should be able to get a good young player for miller and a 1st rounder for cardinal if we wait until the right time to move them.

As for the cleveland idea, they have a logjam of SG already. Pavlovic, wally, and Gibson more than fill the void. The problem is their backup option to mo williams is gone, but boobie gibson probably can handle that for 6 weeks. The question they'd ask is, "does this help us beat boston?". I don't think it really makes sense for them to add 26 million (wally's deal doubled for luxury tax) in '09 salary unless they get someone who really, truly puts them over the top. They need a PG who can stop Rondo's penetration. All things considered a healthy Kevin Ollie makes more sense for them right now than Mike Miller. I really like the idea of ollie+mccants+madsen for eric snow's expiring. mccants is expriring and worthless outside of that, it opens up roster space for richard/3rd point, opens up a 2009 roster spot, clears madsen's 2.8 mil off the 2009 books. I still don't think they'd do that though. Outside their expiring deals cleveland's other assets are jj hickson and a very late 2009 1st, and the relatively small long term deals of west+gibson. Not much to get excited about.

Realistically the best way to open up 2009 cap space without sacrificing the value of a long-term asset (miller, draft pick, or future expiring of cardinal) is by moving madsen and/or smith, and we have the smaller expirings of mccants,ollie, and booth to use if we can combine them with mad dog/smith to bring back a larger expiring. Keep in mind we also need to open up roster spots for all our 2009 draft picks.

mg wrote:I think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of the economy. As I watch my League Pass I'm seeing more and more empty seats in arenas around the league. By the offseason when teams are sitting on more losses and the cap/luxury limits possibly go down we could see some very good players salary dumped. No it won't be the LeBron James or Wades types but some all-stars could be available in trade simply for capspace. Should see some free agent bargains too. It could also be another year where teams sell their picks for cash. The wolves could be sitting in a good place if they get ahead of the curve and get as far under the cap as possible now.

Good Observation. My thoughts too.

With walker's buyout we actually lost 1.5 million on the trade over the first 3 years, but gained 1.65 million if you only consider '09 and 2010 (about the difference between mayo and love's deals). We put an extra 6.8 million onto the '09 cap and saved 8.45 million in 2010.

'09
Miller+cardinal+love= 19.9 million
Jaric+Buckner(1 mil guarantee)+Walker(850k guarantee (pro-rated to buyout)+Mayo= 13.1 million
Lose 6.8 million

love=3.63
mayo+jaric=12.08
Save 8.45 million

So the question is which year is it more valuable to have cap space in?
The year you are one of 3 or 4 teams fighting for boozer, marion, odom, and a bunch of crap (and marvin williams does absolutely nothing for me on this team, especially for mike miller type money).
Or in 2010 you are fighting 20 teams for bosh, wade, lebron, and amare, and RFA year for bargnani, roy, gay, aldridge and foye. Realistically the only player I see on that 2010 list changing teams is bosh, and if lebron leaves it will be for new york, new jersey, chicago or miami.

By that time the NBA may need a bailout.
To chime in on the "salary cap might shrink" thread,
Don't forget that the max salary you can offer someone coming off their rookie deal also expands and shrinks in proportion with the salary cap (which is set as a percentage of revenue). So it might not hamper teams marginally as much as you might think.
Also don't forget about inflation. The government is set to print money equal to about 10% of our GDP between the stimulus and 2nd half of the bailout money. So there is a **** of inflation coming our way, like it or not the price of everything is about to go up. Will this increase league revenue? Probably not, but it's going to squeeze the owners bigtime. 2010 might just be the year teams come to their senses and quit spending. It could be a very, very bad year for players not named lebron, wade, amare, or bosh.

The front office (not just mchale, I think stack deserves more credit here, especially for the miami and philly trades and smart contracts) has been very good at stockpiling assets. They're overly redundant and outside of Al, Love, and Foye none of them are really building blocks. Danny Ainge was also similiarly awesome at stockpiling assets. But the Celtics absolutely sucked and they were ready to run him out of town until his 2 big moves turned all those mediocre small assets into 2 big ones. We are in the same position. We are going to watch some of these assets rot on the bench in the future like Twins AAA pitchers and stay a mediocre fringe playoff team until we can make our 2 big moves. They don't have to be KG-big, but they have to add 2 undeniable cornerstones.

Here are my 2 moves.
1. Trade for Gerald Wallace (our Ray Allen move).
In my opinion he is the perfect option for us at the perfect time.
His huge wingspan, shotblocking, and especially perimeter defense, are the perfect antidote to Jefferson's deficiencies and an undersized frontcourt. His ouside shooting and slashing/scoring ability are the perfect antidote to brewer's unreliability on the offensive end. He is an across the board upgrade over what we have now, only 26 years old, a potential all-star, and under control through 2012 at a flat 9.5 million per year.

He is stuck with a curmudgeon player-ripping coach (like wittman was), on the most cash-strapped team in the league who just added the long-term albatross deal of dasagana diop (the jaric contract of the 2008 free agent crop). I think any team that is willing to eat Nazr Mohammed;s deal can probably have him right now. They also probably don't have the money to re-sign may and felton long-term and will be looking to move them.

The problem: He is the most beloved player of Bobcats fans. This would be their Mayo trade. We'd have to make it sellable to their fanbase to get their ownership to pull the trigger. How do we do that?

1. Mike Miller.
gives the bobcats a player they can say replaces Wallace and meshes better with larry brown, and gives them a player who works well with diaw and augustin because of his outside shooting and allows them to move diaw to sf, and most importantly keeps them competetive in the short term. He also has a shorter contract.

One of these two:
2. Add a young asset or 2. (Corey Brewer, McCants (A Carolina native), Peckovic, Smith).
3. eat one of their bad deals.
Nazr Mohammed 3 years 19.3 mil
Morrison 2 years 9.4 milion.

My proposed compromise:
Wallace, Mohammed to MIN
Miller, McCants, Smith, Madsen, Boston pick to Charlotte.
Or MIller, Brewer, Smith, Madsen.

I know it sucks for our 2010 cap space, but Wallace is exactly the type of signing I would've wanted (and best I would expect) with that space anyway.

Move#2:
Use the rest of our assets to obtain a defensive C and future PG in the 2009 draft.
right now our picks sit at #7, 17, and 27. (Utah's is currently 18th but top 22 protected).
Rubio, Jennings, Jrue Holliday would be acceptable PG's.
Thabeet, Mullens, Jerome Jordan for centers.

Rubio has been rumored to not be coming out in 2009, partly because of his buyout, but chad ford said recently that the rumour was he'd come out only if he was a guaranteed top 3 pick.
However, draft express has taken him out of their mock and I certainly believe them over chad ford.

draft express currently has holliday 4th in their mock, Thabeet 8th, jennings 10, mullens 12, and jordan 27 (to us ironically). They have us taking stephen curry 7th (which I think is too high, and I don't like him for this team because of size/quickness/defense) and darren collison 17th.

I expect Thabeet to go much higher, if we could get him at 7 that would be a coup. Then I'd try to trade up for jennings from 17. Or if Thabeet is gone draft jennings at 7 and jordan at 17. (though jordan's stock may rise much higher than that).

Which allows us a big-man rotation of Love 32 min, Al 34 min, Thabeet/Jordan 30 mins.
It also allows us to have a shotblocker on the floor at the end of a tight game.

Jennings has a ton of potential and unbelievable quickness, but he also has holes in his game. I'm more excited at this point about Thabeet, and Jerome Jordan is really starting to grow on me.
Alot more is expected of a PG than a C, and outside of rubio I'm just not sold on this 2009 class being better than mediocre.

I know you guys are going to spout off about peckovic being the answer, but I just don't see it. From all the scouting reports I've read he isn't a good rebounder or shotblocker, his strength is low-post scoring and physicality. His weakness is quickness. He doesn't offer anything that betters what Al and Love do down low, in my opinion.
His metric measurement of 2.10 also puts him at 6'10 1/2.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#35 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 pm

It seems like you are just plugging holes with the quickest answer instead of trying to find the right fit. We are not going to be a contender overnight. Trading for Wallace because he is a SF and fills a need, drafting Jennings or Thabeet or Mullens (who are all overrated to me) just because they fill needs is ridiculous. If they are the BPA when we pick, thats fine, but i think Jennings is a bust and i dont think Thabeet is worth a top 10 pick.

The rebuild isnt a quick fix process.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,387

Post#36 » by younggunsmn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Wallace is not just a SF who fills a need, he is Stud Defender, Rebounder, and slashing scorer who gets to the line, Thabeet is a game-changing defender at the center position.
What are our glaring deficiencies now and long term?
1. perimeter D
2. defending the basket
3. wing who can take it all the way to the basket and draw fouls.
These two guys fix those deficiencies.
That to me is what is the right fit to bring balance to this team. How is that plugging holes? It's upgrading. Rotating Love/Jefferson/Thabeet leaves a low-post threat on the floor at all times.
Look at wallace's stats, and ask bobcat fans why they love the guy.
If we keep adding BPA's they'll just rot on the bench or play out of position.

I'm warming to Love because his wide body and smarts allow him to play good positional defense. But there are certain types of teams that are going to be able to exploit us badly because of our lack of length and quickness inside, who will break down and destroy our d if they can get into the paint. We need a player who can counter that.

Point Guard is the hardest one to foresee right now.
I agree Jennings has a high bust factor, but outside of Rubio I think he's also the only PG in the class to have the potential to be better than average, and this should be our last high draft pick for a long time. There also aren't going to be any good PG's hitting free agency any time soon (I want no part of raymond felton). Our best hope right now might be that telfair keeps improving to the point where his shooting is not a liability and he can keep his opponent out of the paint consistently.

4ho5ive, You are a big Harden backer I see.
Do you think Foye's success as a SG-only will take drafting Harden off the table?
Or do you try to put Foye back at PG where he has struggled for 2 1/2 seasons?
Right now we might have to win the lottery or trade up to get Harden.

What are your 2 "Ainge" moves to make us a contender?
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#37 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:57 pm

I think making "Ainge" moves is the wrong route to take. We dont have to mimic what Boston does. We arent in position to do that yet if we wanted to. We need to go the San Antonio route. Build through the draft, make smart decisions in regards to FA and complimentary trades. Not go for the gusto with trades for veterans.

I like Gerald Wallace, but he is a very old 26. He is extremely injury prone and some people question whether he takes off plays. He is a great player, but he is limited offensively, he doesnt have much of a jumpshot be it midrange or from the 3.

Im not big on Thabeet. If we end up picking 8-10 and he is on the board i guess i can live with it, but i dont think he is the game changer you think he is. He can block shots, but he is extremely limited offensively, and i dont think he will keep possessions alive with a lot of offensive rebounding.

I think Holiday has the best talent for a PG in this draft not named Rubio.

I like Harden. And i think as a ball handling SG he can help relieve some duties for Foye so he doesnt feel like he has to be Jason Kidd all the time. Foye has struggled as a PG because Witt was trying to force him to be a Jason Kidd type. I know the chances of getting Harden are slim, Holiday is who i hope we end up with, but that remains to be seen.

But my main point is, we dont have to make Ainge moves, lets just continue to build on what we have.
Sejanus
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#38 » by Sejanus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 am

We should at least demand a 1st round pick to go with expirings IMO.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves