ImageImageImage

Mike Miller singin' "Runaway Train"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Mike Miller singin' "Runaway Train" 

Post#1 » by Tirion » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 am

A famous NBA player looking for his shot. It's was last seen on April, 2008 in Memphis. Miller was on his way to Minnesota, when he discovered that his shot is missing, whereabouts of it's now are unknown.

Really though has anyone mentioned already that Miller is shooting 66.7% from the stipe this year? It's mind boggling, considering that his career average is 76.8% and last three seasons he shot 77.4%, 79.3% and 80% respectifully. This is not just a shooting slump, to large of a drop for that. Besides, it's not FG% we're talking about, it's free throws, shooting slumps of this caliber doesn't happen with free throws and especially with soneone like Mike Miller, who practiced a couple hundred millons of them at this point. I mean he's actually a liability of Antawn Walker's proportions at the stripe right now, despite having a rep of one of the NBA most profilic shooters. That why he hasn't been launching much as a Wolf, cause he knows that his shot is waaay off right now. The question is: what's the problem? Something is wrong with either his hands or his confidence, and if he doesn't fix it soon, he's done as an NBA player. I mean really, if Miller doesn't shoot, what is the use from him on a bball court exactly?
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Re: Mike Miller singin' "Runaway Train" 

Post#2 » by jade_hippo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:21 pm

well... he rebounds well and racks up a decent amount of assists for his time on the court. and then there is the matter of his large expiring in time for the 2010 goldrush. I think he should find employment till at least then. But, I do see your point, he really doesn't do much to justify a roster spot when all he is doing is shooting 2-5 with a handful of rebounds and a couple assists. Decent rental just like RickyBuckets was, only Davis scored a bit more in his time here. Ricky landed us Walker/Doleac... what will Miller bring?
Child of Wonder
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#3 » by Child of Wonder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 pm

His ankle must still be sore or tender and he's not 100% trusting it yet.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#4 » by shrink » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:14 pm

I agree that he's a valuable player to have on the floor, even when his shot isn't falling. 8 RB's, 6 ASTS, 2 BLKS last night makes everyone on ourteam better.

You know, maybe he needs a pair of those Ricky Vaughn glasses from Major League?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#5 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 pm

^I was just thinking that maybe he needs glasses, maybe his eyes are changing. I do agree that he is helping in other ways like rebounding, passing, and general ball movement but he needs to start shooting some, too.

I don't buy that it is just his ankle because he was doing this at the start of the season, too.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Winter Wonder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:35 pm

shrink wrote:You know, maybe he needs a pair of those Ricky Vaughn glasses from Major League?

That wouldn't have gone out of most parks.
Name one.
Yellowstone.

or

Forget the curveball, throw im the heater.

Now back to Miller missing shots, aka, Timberwolves Basketball.

Acutally, half our team could probably use them....
TDWOLVESFAN
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#7 » by TDWOLVESFAN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I don't think glasses are the issue. During warmups he drains 80% of his 3 pts attempts. It's in his head. He's hoping each of his shots go in instead of believing they will. His does not always follow through during games - like he's hurrying the shot so he can get back down and play D.
I've been a fan since the beginning and I will be until my end.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#8 » by john2jer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm

I think it's the new Wolves floor. The coloring is throwing him off.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#9 » by shrink » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:11 pm

john2jer wrote:I think it's the new Wolves floor. The coloring is throwing him off.

You're probably right. Maybe he's worried how they clash with his highlights?
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#10 » by Winter Wonder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm

john2jer wrote:I think it's the new Wolves floor. The coloring is throwing him off.

If that is the case, the real problem would be "why is he looking at the floor if he is shooting at a basket that is 10 ft above the floor....."
john2jer
RealGM

Post#11 » by john2jer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:24 pm

shrink wrote:

You're probably right. Maybe he's worried how they clash with his highlights?

I think this answers WW's question.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Chance1117
Bench Warmer
And1: 23

Post#12 » by Chance1117 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm

I believe his confidants are shot right now. The slump started with him just shooting a poor percentage say he wen 2-9 or something. Now he is just plain afraid to even try shooting. I didn't look this up but I'm pretty sure he took 2 or 3 shots last night in 23 minutes. I think he just doesn't want to hurt the team by missing shots, he is afraid. His ankle is fine he is all over the court rebounding hustling.

I think the proof if his free throws yesterday he barely hit the rim on both of them. He is just afraid and thats putting too much pressure on a guy that has a lot of flow to his shot. The problem is he isn't shooting threw his slump. It is hard to gain confident when your not shooting at all.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#13 » by B Calrissian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I remember seeing Miller wear glasses in a video on Wolves Weekly. I like the wild thing idea, or even some goggles.

Miller has hit 5 of 28 three pointers since the New Year.
He should be getting his invite to allstar weekend for the 3pt shootout any day now..
PaintPatrol
Sophomore

Post#14 » by PaintPatrol » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:48 pm

He's counting bolts in the floor.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#15 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Miller's job was supposed to be very simple coming into this season - spotting up and catching open threes off of Jefferson's double teams - that doesn't happen yet. Coach's responsibility to make that happen. Of course it's a challenge and it's not easy, but hire me then and I can go in there and have no answers as head coach and I'll do it for a mere 100k a year. McHale and his assistants are getting paid the heavy bank roll to figure stuff like this out. Don't tell me AL can't pass, he's not some idiot savant that's totally focused in on low post offense, he's 24 and very much capable of further development. There's an old saying: "you can teach a young dog new tricks". Get Al catching the ball low, don't run KG plays for him catching the ball 17 feet away. Al can dominate close to the rim, Love crashes rebounds, Miller catches opens off of double teams, swing, swing, success!
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#16 » by southern wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:40 am

Clearly he's blinded by his own hair when he shoots, he needs to go back to the buzz cut...

john2jer
RealGM

Post#17 » by john2jer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:57 am

PaintPatrol wrote:He's counting bolts in the floor.

CHEERS! Betcha that damn Kevin McHale put him up to it.
PaintPatrol
Sophomore

Post#18 » by PaintPatrol » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:18 am

john2jer wrote:
PaintPatrol wrote:He's counting bolts in the floor.

CHEERS! Betcha that damn Kevin McHale put him up to it.

NICE!!! I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#19 » by Tirion » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

shrink wrote:I agree that he's a valuable player to have on the floor, even when his shot isn't falling. 8 RB's, 6 ASTS, 2 BLKS last night makes everyone on ourteam better.

He is also a horrible defender, slowfooted and always late on the rotations. Without his shooting he's a net negative.
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Frozen316 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Do we think we need to go to Al more so we can try to get more double teams and then find the open shooter? Or does Al just need to pass out more? Or both? Or what?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves