Caron Butler
Brandan Haywood

Washington Trades:
Caron Butler
Brandan Haywood

Washington Receives:
Al Jefferson
Brian Cardinal

If the Wolves were to move Al, it's have to be for an All-Star non-PF, plus a little extra. This fits the bill. Butler and Haywood are 28 and 29, respectively, so they're both in their prime. Haywood is out for most of the rest of the year, but it's a wrist thing that isn't expected to be lingering. Wolves get a lot more balanced, draft a PG, and go forward with Rookie/Foye/Butler/Love/Haywood and have Telfair, Brewer, and Gomes as the main guys off the bench.

Wizards play sub-.100 basketball the rest of the year and pair Arenas and Jefferson with one of the top 4 players available in next year's draft.
Vega06
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Bold Wolves/Wizards 

Post#2 » by Vega06 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 am

No way
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by 4ho5ive » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:23 am

I wouldnt do it, but it def is bold. But is it daring?

Add J.Critt and id like it more.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#4 » by AQuintus » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:24 am

dictionary.com wrote:bold
   /boʊld/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bohld] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, -er, -est.
1. not hesitating or fearful in the face of actual or possible danger or rebuff; courageous and daring: a bold hero.
2. not hesitating to break the rules of propriety; forward; impudent: He apologized for being so bold as to speak to the emperor.
3. necessitating courage and daring; challenging: a bold adventure.

Odd, I don't see the word terrible anywhere in this definition.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#5 » by casey » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:29 am

Al Jefferson for Caron Butler? Really?
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#6 » by deeney0 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:33 am

Perhaps not, just brainstorming a bit. I don't think the idea of moving Al for an All-Star wing and a starting quality C, both under 30, should be dismissed outright, especially if you look at this as an offseason trade if Love plays well the rest of the season.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#7 » by shrink » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:41 am

I think that's overpaying. I like Caron Butler and he's one of the Top 5-6 best SF's in the game, but there are a lot of good SF's, and not so many dominant low post scorers and rebounders.

What the Wiz really want is a big expiring. Their owner refuses to go over the lux, and guys like Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas are tough to move because of their contracts. Collins would fit them perfectly back under the lux. Could we add enough though to make a big enough deal? Are we comfortable with Butler's $11 mil in 2010-11, in a market where salaries and thresholds may decline rapidly?
LEFTCOASTBALLER
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by LEFTCOASTBALLER » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 am

Caron as good as he is will be relatively cheap to obtain (if he is still a Wiz this summer, MIA #1 pick will get it done)...T-Wolves just need to get under the cap.

W/in the trade deadline thread, I propose moving Miller, Cardinal, UT #1, & BOS # 1 for Marbury & Roberson...This will give the Wolves OPTIONS!

WASH does not want to pay a tax - hell, I see Butler going to PORT for LaFrentz in the next few days.

Gotta get more if you are going to move Big Al - McGee would have to be included.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#9 » by GopherIt! » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 am

dictionary.com wrote:bold
   /boʊld/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bohld] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, -er, -est.
1. not hesitating or fearful in the face of actual or possible danger or rebuff in bed; courageous and daring in bed: a bold hero in bed.
2. not hesitating to break the rules of propriety in bed; forward in bed; impudent in bed:
3. necessitating courage and daring in bed; challenging: a bold adventure in bed.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#10 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:28 am

I definitely wouldn't make this trade, but I do like what you are trying to do, though. That does balance our roster a bit better spreading out the talent to different positions, but the value just isn't there for us.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#11 » by Basti » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:48 am

deeney is that really you?
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#12 » by jade_hippo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:01 am

this makes me kinda sad, one of the best low post scorers and everyones favorite redhead in exchange for ummmm... (what does Butler do best?) and the guy who ripped some dreads out of Etan Thomas's head.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Back when the Wolves were 4-23, I thought moving Al was something to look into. Now that I've seen some progress, I'm willing to be a little more patient.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#14 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 pm

No thanks
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#15 » by karch34 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:39 pm

I like Butler a lot, but wouldn't do it for Al. If they're really desperate to lose salary than I'd do something like Collins (exp), Gomes, Miami pick, and Utah pick.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#16 » by deeney0 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Back when the Wolves were 4-23, I thought moving Al was something to look into. Now that I've seen some progress, I'm willing to be a little more patient.

I saw the progress too, but I'm haunted by the facts that Al didn't improve much on D and he's out for the year, again. I don't know if Al can ever be Karl Malone - he's already missed more games in his career than Karl did.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#17 » by P'Oed » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Wiz fan here. Coincidentally, I tried to pitch a similar trade on the Wiz board today (Jamison+McGee or Jamison+Our Pick for Jefferson) and was met with very mixed reactions.

I guess my main question is how is Al's defense? Some fans on the Wiz board seem to think he's just as awful on D as Jamison is but I have a hard time believing it. I mean, as a 6'10 guy playing center and still average close to 2 blocks a game he has to be a decent defender, right? I wonder if he was playing at the 4 if he'd be any better on that side of the court as well.

Just curious, not trying to stir up any crap. As bad as we are this year I think we've been through every possible trade scenario in existence hahaha.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#18 » by shrink » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm

I can't see the Wolves having any interest in Antawn Jamison. Al just turned 24 last month, and has plenty of room for improvement, so they like the contract he's locked into. Jamison is 32, and by the time the Wolves are contenders, he's really not a good fit -- he'd be better on a "win-now" team.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#19 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:47 pm

karch34 wrote:I like Butler a lot, but wouldn't do it for Al. If they're really desperate to lose salary than I'd do something like Collins (exp), Gomes, Miami pick, and Utah pick.

While Gomes, pick, pick is a better deal from our end, Washington might be more inclined to accept something like:

Minn IN: Butler
Minn OUt: Collins, Foye
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#20 » by Basti » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:33 pm

P'Oed wrote:Wiz fan here. Coincidentally, I tried to pitch a similar trade on the Wiz board today (Jamison+McGee or Jamison+Our Pick for Jefferson) and was met with very mixed reactions.

I guess my main question is how is Al's defense? Some fans on the Wiz board seem to think he's just as awful on D as Jamison is but I have a hard time believing it. I mean, as a 6'10 guy playing center and still average close to 2 blocks a game he has to be a decent defender, right? I wonder if he was playing at the 4 if he'd be any better on that side of the court as well.

Just curious, not trying to stir up any crap. As bad as we are this year I think we've been through every possible trade scenario in existence hahaha.

I guess if Al would play alongside Haywood he'd be a decent defender because he's not playing out of position and he'd get the worse offensive big man to defend. I haven't seen Jamison much so I don't know if his man-to-man defense is better or worse.

as far as your trade offer I wouldn't do it. as Shrink said Jamison is too old for our plans. Butler on the other hand would be a player I'd really be interested in (except that Jefferson would be excluded in that trade).

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves