ImageImageImage

Raptor fans want Foye

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: Raptor fans want Foye 

Post#21 » by Krapinsky » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 pm

I think Foye being almost exclusively used as a 2 since McHale took over and along with the fact that we just pursed Hinrich, the writing is on the wall that as long as Foye is a Wolf he will probably be a 2.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#22 » by revprodeji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:22 am

Is it the best fit, or is it just need?

Honestly, most the offense in the NBA is either isolation/P and R or post. Why does it matter what spot Foye lines up at? Let him defend the pg and start the BPA in the backcourt with him. In college a pure pg matters, on a team w/o a post offensive player the pg matters, but in the NBA it really does not matter. If you want to say "Foye cannot create for others off the dribble" then that can be the argument (*I might not completely agree) but go get a 2/3 that can create.

Honestly, do you think Foye would be a good player as a pg if he was next to a ball-dominate wing like Lebron/Kobe? Foye can play. The key is to not put him in a box. Line him up next to legit talent and lets role.

Maybe it is just that ball-dominate pg's bug the crap out of me. Motion-passing-creation is a whole team thing. Dump the ball into Al and move and pass around.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#23 » by AQuintus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:50 am

Foye can create for others off the dribble just fine. He can't, however, control pace nor set up a half court offense effectively, and that's why we need a good point guard in the up coming draft.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#24 » by revprodeji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 am

How much of the current NBA is pace control? What does it take to set up a half-court offense? I think Wittman tried to make Foye into a ball-controlling PG and that is not his fit. I think if we get another guy that can drive and create then Foye is fine at either the 1 or the 2.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#25 » by casey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 am

Dam wrote:
Wingman wrote:Foye>Raptors

LOLLLLLLLL

calderon>>>>foye
matrix>>>>>>>>>>>foye
bargs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>foye
bosh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>foye

LOL

Dam
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#26 » by AQuintus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:12 am

revprodeji wrote:How much of the current NBA is pace control? What does it take to set up a half-court offense?

I don't play in the NBA, so I can't say with any certainty how much of the NBA is pace controlled or what it takes to set up a half-court offense, but I can say with absolute certainty that the team's offense looks night-and-day better with Telfair running the show compared to Foye.

Another good example of this is the Detroit situation. Iverson is probably a better ball handler than Billups, and he probably has better court vision, too, but because he looks to shoot before he passes, and because he can't set up an offense or control pace, Detroit's offense this year looks significantly worse this year and Denver's looks better.

I think Wittman tried to make Foye into a ball-controlling PG and that is not his fit.

I think Wittman tried to make Foye a PG, period, and it didn't work.

I think if we get another guy that can drive and create then Foye is fine at either the 1 or the 2.

It seems to me that you're describing Mike Miller and obviously having him next to Foye hasn't turned the team into an offensive juggernaut.

Edit: I'd like to address this

Honestly, do you think Foye would be a good player as a pg if he was next to a ball-dominate wing like Lebron/Kobe?

A ball-dominating wing like a Lebron or a Kobe would be great and might just work next to Foye, but unfortunately there aren't any Lebrons or Kobes in this draft. And even if there was, there's a big reason why the Cavs have made a big leap in production this year with Mo Williams at point, and there is a big reason why LA looks much better with Derek Fisher than with Smush (besides the obvious difference in talent), and that reason is that Mo and Derek are true points.

As far as I can tell, it's not necessary to have a ball-dominant point guard (and history might even show that you're better of without one), but a true point guard is a necessity, and Foye just isn't one (yet).
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by revprodeji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:00 pm

I think that is the first time Fisher or Mo Williams has been called a true point.

Otherwise I agree with you, thanks for pointing that out. Very good post.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#28 » by TMo519 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:42 pm

lol, Mo Williams is not a true point. He's playing with LeBron James, that's why he works well there. Fisher, more so is a point, but he also plays in the triangle, where point guards are not of necessity. Just look at the "point guards" Phil Jackson has had in that system over the years. None of them were really points. I mean goodness, he had Ron Harper playing point for Chicago lol.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves