ImageImageImage

Rubio Falling & Love Trade Rumors

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: Rubio Falling & Love Trade Rumors 

Post#21 » by Dewey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:17 am

When I hear PG, I like to think passer. A high percent of the time I've seen Curry, he's shooting. A high time I've seen Rubio, he's passing. Curry may very well be a far superior player, but when I've watched both play, I've had much more fun watching Rubio.

I'd compare Rubio to Kidd as far as a passer, anticipating steals, and mediocre shooting.
Curry is more of a slendor Billups - guards that excell at shooting.

It does appear the Wolves/Love are now denying any trade rumors. That's fine as it would be best to acquire Rubio while keeping him.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#22 » by Esohny » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:23 am

That and we couldn't trade Love to Memphis until after the draft anyway.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#23 » by invno1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:36 am

I have seen some video on Rubio put together not any games, highlight video and Rubio looked very good, Has anyone seen a game?
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Dewey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:18 am

Not in person, but basically partials of Olympics and the USA/Spain gold medal game of course. There are some decent clips that show some of his court awareness skills.

He's built a little frail at 19 and I suspect he will struggle some physically. But heck, if he holds up in the Euro League and Olympics, he should be able to develop and hang in the NBA as well.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#25 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:22 am

Rubio's not falling past #3.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#26 » by skorff26 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:Rubio's not falling past #3.

I could see him falling to #4, but Sacramento would not pass on him.

Actually, I take that back, Sacramento's management hasn't been that smart in the past 12 months (signing Beno, trading salmons for nocioni)
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#27 » by the_bruce » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 am

Gambling on this would be fun. If there was somewhere on the interwebz where I could get 20:1 odds on rubio falling to #6 I would toss 100 on that in an instant. I'd probably lose, but if I won I'd take my 2k and roll around in my money bin. Anyway a 20:1 chance is absurdly remote. Also as I see the odd's Rubio getting past 3 or 4 is also very remote.

Chance of being @4 ~25% 4:1
Chance of being @5 ~11% 10:1

Dewey wrote:
IMO: Miller, Brewer, and Carney would be suitors due to speed and full-court play. Foye and Gomes are a little slower paced and naturally less of a fit. Love and Madsen are better pick-n-roll guys by nature than Jefferson and Smith. Now, I highly doubt Jefferson is out because if we were to get Rubio, but I'd now have to consider Smith, Foye, and Gomes as my most tradeable assets.

So, assuming we nabbed Rubio with #6, my next pick will need to run the floor and execute a pick-n-roll.

His weakness ... Shooting off the dribble and off picks. Shoots fine if he can set up (free-throws & 3-pointers off a skip pass). Manuvering to and around the basket for layups are good as is his floater in the lane. His best strength (looking to pass) seems to be responsible for his biggest weakness (shooting) ...

I think the only players he'd play well with are Love and probably Miller. Who knows if Carney is back next year, Brewer is a horrible finisher around the rim. Worst shooting team in the league needs better sgooters and a guy besides Al who can create their own offense. Rubios assist numbers wont be to spectacular when the wolves backcourt shoots 29% every game. I actually don't think he's a great fit for the roster as it stands. But I'm biased against euros, non super athletic guards, players who shoot poorly. So really rubio gets strikes out on some of my must haves. I'd probably take a boatload of players before him.

cpfsf wrote:not my main point but... http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/06/10/consensus/index.html not one predicted him falling him to number 5.

There's 12 mocks here, I think if you had 20 you would see at least one with rubio falling farther.

regardless of how the draft goes. It is improbable that the wolves select anyone besides evans unless they move up and I'm fine with that. In the event Evans isn't there MN ends up taking whomever is left over from (rubio, thabeet, harden, Curry) this is a no screw up draft for our pick.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Dewey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

bruceallen61 wrote:Gambling on this would be fun. If there was somewhere on the interwebz where I could get 20:1 odds on rubio falling to #6 I would toss 100 on that in an instant. I'd probably lose, but if I won I'd take my 2k and roll around in my money bin. Anyway a 20:1 chance is absurdly remote. Also as I see the odd's Rubio getting past 3 or 4 is also very remote.

Chance of being @4 ~25% 4:1
Chance of being @5 ~11% 10:1

Dewey wrote:
IMO: Miller, Brewer, and Carney would be suitors due to speed and full-court play. Foye and Gomes are a little slower paced and naturally less of a fit. Love and Madsen are better pick-n-roll guys by nature than Jefferson and Smith. Now, I highly doubt Jefferson is out because if we were to get Rubio, but I'd now have to consider Smith, Foye, and Gomes as my most tradeable assets.

So, assuming we nabbed Rubio with #6, my next pick will need to run the floor and execute a pick-n-roll.

His weakness ... Shooting off the dribble and off picks. Shoots fine if he can set up (free-throws & 3-pointers off a skip pass). Manuvering to and around the basket for layups are good as is his floater in the lane. His best strength (looking to pass) seems to be responsible for his biggest weakness (shooting) ...

I think the only players he'd play well with are Love and probably Miller. Who knows if Carney is back next year, Brewer is a horrible finisher around the rim. Worst shooting team in the league needs better sgooters and a guy besides Al who can create their own offense. Rubios assist numbers wont be to spectacular when the wolves backcourt shoots 29% every game. I actually don't think he's a great fit for the roster as it stands. But I'm biased against euros, non super athletic guards, players who shoot poorly. So really rubio gets strikes out on some of my must haves. I'd probably take a boatload of players before him.

cpfsf wrote:not my main point but... http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/06/10/consensus/index.html not one predicted him falling him to number 5.

There's 12 mocks here, I think if you had 20 you would see at least one with rubio falling farther.

regardless of how the draft goes. It is improbable that the wolves select anyone besides evans unless they move up and I'm fine with that. In the event Evans isn't there MN ends up taking whomever is left over from (rubio, thabeet, harden, Curry) this is a no screw up draft for our pick.

You nailed it ... it's still fun to debate why Rubio IS THE MAN !!!!
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#29 » by invno1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Who was that that said Curry is a shooter and Rubio is a passer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyTIQq5H-g&NR=1

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves