ImageImageImage

Poll: what to do with Atkins.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

What to do with Atkins?

1. Take on a similar contract (3-4 mil) in exchange for a Future 1st in the 20's
6%
2. Use to move songalia for an expiring
69%
3. Cut to save salary (will not result in any significant cap space).
13%
4. Keep as a backup PG and play out season.
13%

Total votes: 16

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Poll: what to do with Atkins. 

Post#1 » by younggunsmn » Fri Aug 7, 2009 10:07 pm

Seeing Mem got a lottery protected 1st for 3.7 mil of cap space,
we may be able to get a late 1st for for Atkins.

Option 1 would be something like:
Atkins for Rasual Butler and a future top 20 protected 1st. (saves NO 3.2 mil)

Option 2 would be something like:
Atkins for Kurt Thomas
and
Songalia/Brown for Ridnour
(saves MIL 4.3 this year and us 4.8 next year)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Re: Poll: what to do with Atkins. 

Post#2 » by shrink » Sat Aug 8, 2009 3:26 am

I've given the Atkins + Songalia package a lot of thought.

The very best use of that combo is with a team that's over the lux this year, but under the lux next season, even with Songalia. A team can be an even better fit if they won't be under the cap next year (otherwise Songalia costs them cap space), they have some use for him, and that they have some truly unproductive players. For example, if the pair are traded for equally priced expirings:

2009: Waiving Atkins saves $2.72 mil, and if a team is over the lux, that's doubled to $5.44 mil savings.

2010: $5.44 mil savings is less than the price of Songalia ($4.82),

Net, they get $600,000 and two years of Songalia production at no additional cost.

So what teams fit this financially?

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... zRug&gid=1

$80,090,516.....$56,566,795 Boston
$80,183,643.....$50,205,474 Cleveland
$73,184,444.....$45,211,042 Houston (though their low 2010 cap may make them dream of FA's)
$77,955,258.....$64,724,145 Phoenix
$79,821,833.....$57,576,589 San Antonio
$82,231,422.....$61,909,164 Utah
$78,076,229.....$60,616,311 Washington
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,474

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 8, 2009 3:34 am

Atkins/Songaila for Lopez/Dragic/Pavlovic?

Would PHX do that?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,474

Post#4 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 8, 2009 4:30 am

Darius Songaila, Chucky Atkins for Kyle Korver

Why for Utah? They get a productive veteran PF, and a veteran PG that can be waived for instant cap relief.

Why for Minnesota? They get a 3-pt shooter on an expiring contract.

EDIT: Deal can also be done for Matt Harpring, and Utah may prefer that.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#5 » by B Calrissian » Sat Aug 8, 2009 10:07 pm

klomp44 wrote:Darius Songaila, Chucky Atkins for Kyle Korver

Why for Utah? They get a productive veteran PF, and a veteran PG that can be waived for instant cap relief.

Why for Minnesota? They get a 3-pt shooter on an expiring contract.

EDIT: Deal can also be done for Matt Harpring, and Utah may prefer that.

I like that deal for Korver, but I don't think the Jazz would need Songalia unless Boozer is moved for a wing.
JMillott
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#6 » by JMillott » Sun Aug 9, 2009 2:03 am

I think they will trade him if they can get something of tangible value for him and I don't think dealing him to get rid of Songaila is of usable value. I don't think the Wolves will be looking to add anymore raw cap room for next summer but will instead be looking to build the roster now.

They are already well under the cap for next summer and i'm sure they know full well that they're unlikely to land even one max contract type player with the roster as is. If they want to be an attractive team in free agency next year they'd be better suited to start adding a few pieces now so they can be viewed as a clear up and coming team.

I would offer the Jazz a package of Atkins and Songaila offering to eat Harpring's deal but i'd be looking for CJ Miles in return.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#7 » by B Calrissian » Sun Aug 9, 2009 2:06 am

JMillott wrote:I think they will trade him if they can get something of tangible value for him and I don't think dealing him to get rid of Songaila is of usable value. I don't think the Wolves will be looking to add anymore raw cap room for next summer but will instead be looking to build the roster now.

They are already well under the cap for next summer and i'm sure they know full well that they're unlikely to land even one max contract type player with the roster as is. If they want to be an attractive team in free agency next year they'd be better suited to start adding a few pieces now so they can be viewed as a clear up and coming team.

I would offer the Jazz a package of Atkins and Songaila offering to eat Harpring's deal but i'd be looking for CJ Miles in return.

Isn't Harpring's contract up after this year? The Wolves would need to add something for the Jazz to eat Songalia's deal.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,246

Post#8 » by GopherIt! » Sun Aug 9, 2009 2:13 am

What to do with Atkins?

Chuck him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Post#9 » by shrink » Sun Aug 9, 2009 2:43 am

B Calrissian wrote:
JMillott wrote: I would offer the Jazz a package of Atkins and Songaila offering to eat Harpring's deal but i'd be looking for CJ Miles in return.

Isn't Harpring's contract up after this year? The Wolves would need to add something for the Jazz to eat Songalia's deal.

Yes, but this year they have to pay for it, and its doubled for the lux. In this deal, the UTA choice would be:

A. Keep Harpring: $6,500,000 x2 for lux = $13 mil.... or ...

B. Trade for Atkins Songalia.

Add $8 mil - $2.72 mil (waive Atkins) = $5.28 x 2 = $10.56 + $4.82 in 2011 (Songalia) = $15.38

So they can keep Harpring who produces nothing, or get two years of Songalia's production for $2.38 mil. He's overpriced, but he's worth more that.
JMillott
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by JMillott » Sun Aug 9, 2009 2:43 am

B Calrissian wrote:
JMillott wrote:I think they will trade him if they can get something of tangible value for him and I don't think dealing him to get rid of Songaila is of usable value. I don't think the Wolves will be looking to add anymore raw cap room for next summer but will instead be looking to build the roster now.

They are also way over the tax line this season and that trade would save them close to 10 million dollars. Atkins might have more value to them then any other team in the NBA right now because they're a small market team about 15 million over the taxline for a team that isn't really a contender to win it all.

The Wolves can't do this trade now because neither Atkins or Songaila can be combined in any trade with any other player at this time.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#11 » by B Calrissian » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:41 am

I understand that they will save money this year. Have there been reports or any signs that the Jazz are trying to save money? So far this offseason they matched a hefty offer for Milsap to be the back up PF. Songalia being productive means nothing when they already have Boozer and Milsap at PF.
JMillott
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by JMillott » Sun Aug 9, 2009 4:52 pm

B Calrissian wrote:I understand that they will save money this year. Have there been reports or any signs that the Jazz are trying to save money? So far this offseason they matched a hefty offer for Milsap to be the back up PF. Songalia being productive means nothing when they already have Boozer and Milsap at PF.

All signs are pointing to them matching the offer for Millsap because they want him to be the starter and that they will be dealing Boozer if they can get anything reasonable for him.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#13 » by B Calrissian » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:16 pm

JMillott wrote:
B Calrissian wrote:I understand that they will save money this year. Have there been reports or any signs that the Jazz are trying to save money? So far this offseason they matched a hefty offer for Milsap to be the back up PF. Songalia being productive means nothing when they already have Boozer and Milsap at PF.

All signs are pointing to them matching the offer for Millsap because they want him to be the starter and that they will be dealing Boozer if they can get anything reasonable for him.

B Calrissian wrote:
I like that deal for Korver, but I don't think the Jazz would need Songalia unless Boozer is moved for a wing.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:43 pm

anybody know what the deadline is to waive Atkins and save the 2.7 mil?

Flip has come out and said he wants to run an 8 man rotation in Washington, so that means theres going to be some good players out of the rotation. The main target for me would be Nick Young. Washington has Young, Foye, Miller, and Stevenson at SG. Stevenson is unmovable and might even have use in a Hassell role. Foye and Miller will be in the rotation as veterans that also need to justify their huge trade. Young is most likely the odd man out, but for MN hed be great in our uptempo offense running the floor.

To get him, I think our weapons would be draft picks and Atkins, but I think we could get him with just Atkins, but only if theres time because, for example,

atkins/wilkins for young/james

Washington gets rid of 2 guys out of the rotation likely to sulk with no minutes for a pro like wilkins and savings from atkins, but the thing is they cant be traded until sept 27
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 987

Post#15 » by funkatron101 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:56 am

Let's get Foye back!
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,610

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:24 am

I disagree, I think if you look at all the moves made this offseason they point to opening cap space for next offseason, not being respectable this season.
Marc
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Marc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:43 pm

With Hornets: Songalia + Atkins for Daniels + Armstrong

Great deal for both teams! Wolves get rid of Songalia for expirings. Hornets save around $8M this season.

This trade can not go down right away but it is worth the wait. Or they could trade Songalia + Atkins + Brown + cash for Daniels + Armstrong by August 24. (8 days from now)
Marc
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Marc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 am

Marc wrote:With Hornets: Songalia + Atkins for Daniels + Armstrong

Great deal for both teams! Wolves get rid of Songalia for expirings. Hornets save around $8M this season.

This trade can not go down right away but it is worth the wait. Or they could trade Songalia + Atkins + Brown + cash for Daniels + Armstrong by August 24. (8 days from now)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=937928

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves