Muckler Fired?

Moderator: BigSlam

MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Muckler Fired? 

Post#1 » by MAS » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:40 am

According to the Toronto Sun, the Ottawa Senators have fired general manager John Muckler.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211070&hubname=
UndeadExpos
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#2 » by UndeadExpos » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm really not sure about this one. Comrie, Corvo, Preissing were big players in the run to the cup before disappearing in the finals. Corvo and Preissing are both great puck movers and solid D-men. Corvo is a steal at 1.5 mil for 4 years. Gerber was a mistake in retrospect... there should have been some foresight that Emery would make a solid leap.... but Gerber is a good goalie who had trouble adjusting to the pressure of being No1 in Ottawa. Muckler couldn't have necessarily anticipated that, and Gerber did play well down the stretch. It looks like the non-acquisition of Roberts might seal the deal. It was a mistake. The team needed a guy like that. The Sens are stocked for years to come, and so could have afforded to part with Eaves and a draft pick in return for playing for the moment. I'm not sure I like the idea of Melnyk interfering the way he has, though. I like the guy's drive to win, but he didn't go to GM school.
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#3 » by BringBackPopeye » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:04 pm

I think muckler has been living off his rep for a while now. If you really look back, not many of his moves have worked well at all. The bondra deal was trash, he didn't do his homework with arnasson who came to the sens out of shape and incapable of contributing. He may have gotten preissing but he gave up havlat to get him (along with a couple other minor leaguers) which is a very hefty price to pay.

Really, the way I see it, muckler was handed the keys to the single most stocked young team in the league and he has slowly picked away at it, while not really getting anything in return

Corvo is also making a lot more than 1.5 for 4 years, he's at 2,5 2,75 2,75 over the next 3 which is pretty hefty for a 5th defenseman who spends most of the season fighting the puck.

The sens really aren't that stocked for years to come any more, they've got some kids like brian lee, cody bass and nick foligno but they aren't the same team they were years ago. Just look at the season bingo had, they finished last in their division.

Return to Ottawa Senators