Sophomore
And1: 2

proposed three way trade with chicago and the kings 

Post#1 » by BringBackPopeye » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:17 pm

they were talking about this potential deal on the radio this morning

kings would get meszaros and gerber

the hawks would get kopitar

the sens would get khabibulin and either seabrook or cam barker

seems like a steal for the sens, especially if they can get seabrook. What I really don't get though, is why the kings would make this deal. They don't really need meszaros at all, the organization has tons of young defensemen with tons of potential, why would they trade their big blue chip forward (where they're weakest) for a player where they have the most organizational depth

it makes sense for the hawks, they have an abundance of defensemen, and need to unload one. Which would mean meszaros ending up here wouldn't make all that much sense either.

I really see vermette getting moved being more likely if either the hawks or the kings are in on this trade.
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
And1: 2

Re: proposed three way trade with chicago and the kings 

Post#2 » by BringBackPopeye » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 pm

so eklund just spoke about the rumour and he has a different variation on the deal

Sens get: Khabibulin,Barker and Sharp
Kings get: Gerber, Seabrook and Neil or Vermette
Hawks get: Ersberg,Preissing ,O'Sullivan and Vermette or Neil

losing Neil wouldn't be a great loss the way he was playing this year, and this deal is pretty similar but with a swap of meszaros for vermette which again makes more sense to me. Not giving up kopitar is just huge, I would be hesitant if I was chicago to make this deal, trading away not only barker and seabrook but also sharp who had a damn fine season last year. I don't think chicago would or should make this deal, but they would be all over the first

Murray could still turn around and trade meszaros to another team for assets
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,416

Re: proposed three way trade with chicago and the kings 

Post#3 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:21 pm

yeah I was shocked to see the first version of this as a Kings fan. Kopitar is the young hope, I mean, we have a ton of young hope, but this guy is like a big Adam Oates. Our offense is actually pretty strong, as we were the only team to feature 5 20 goal scorers. We lost Cammy, but our scoring is still good.

Our goaltending has a stud in the wings, (bernier 20yrs) and Ersberg was really good, though undersized, late in the season. Gerber has a more tried and tested record, but he just doesn't seem like a guy we have to have at this point.

We do not need another young D guy. I would think if anything, a vet with a strong personality for the development of our new young D corpse (Johnson, Hickey, Doughty, Voinen, Tuebert).

So basically I like the second version, but I'm not into getting rid of Anze for anyone other than a serious allstar.

Return to Ottawa Senators