1st Round, #20 - Angelo Esposito

Moderator: Gremz

timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

1st Round, #20 - Angelo Esposito 

Post#1 » by timd1218 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:33 am

I can't believe the Pens got him. My god. I think he will be moved to a winger. And he seemed so happy to be picked when they interviewed him on TSN. What a pick. Couldn't ask for anything better.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 255

Post#2 » by Consequence » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:09 pm

I was pumped as well. I think that this was a case of over-analysis by most of the other teams, or maybe they got locked into promises with players. Not complaining at all, our young talent just keeps on improving. Does he have any experience playing the wing?
Just draft a bloody C.
http://www.redoftoothandclaw.ca
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by timd1218 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:37 pm

xHardcourtx wrote:I was pumped as well. I think that this was a case of over-analysis by most of the other teams, or maybe they got locked into promises with players. Not complaining at all, our young talent just keeps on improving. Does he have any experience playing the wing?

He's like Brady Quinn. Some teams seen him and Esposito as inconsistant. I don't see him as being inconsistant playing with Sid the Kid though.

He does have experience playing on the wing. I didn't know that when Shero picked him so that makes it so much better.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 810

Post#4 » by SSUBluesman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:01 am

I love this pick. This is how you draft, not the crap my hometown Wild pulled off. I was so pissed to see them drafting Gillies AND trading up for him, but this pick made it all go away. Even if he can't fit on the wing he'll give us flexibility with Malkin/Staal in a few years or as chip to try and get help elsewhere, as is the reported case with EC right now.

I think a huge part of him falling was the over-hyping and analyzing that had been done, ala Kessel. Getting all this hype and attention at such a young age requires them to prove they are generational talents, or end up being "lazy" or "underachieving" instead of what they are: A great young talent who has been under the microscope for longer than other players.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by timd1218 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:34 am

SSUBluesman wrote:I love this pick. This is how you draft, not the crap my hometown Wild pulled off. I was so pissed to see them drafting Gillies AND trading up for him, but this pick made it all go away. Even if he can't fit on the wing he'll give us flexibility with Malkin/Staal in a few years or as chip to try and get help elsewhere, as is the reported case with EC right now.

I think a huge part of him falling was the over-hyping and analyzing that had been done, ala Kessel. Getting all this hype and attention at such a young age requires them to prove they are generational talents, or end up being "lazy" or "underachieving" instead of what they are: A great young talent who has been under the microscope for longer than other players.

I think teams didn't draft him was because it was a risk. GM's were afraid because if he doesn't turn out, then it's their job. And it's different for Esposito then other draftees because Espo was hyped up.

I've heard Malkin may move to the left wing this season to play along Sid so when Espo's ready, he can center the second line or move to wing to play with Staal.

I personally would like to see Staal and Geno stay together and let Espo and Sid play together. Espo seems more of the pure goal scorer than Geno and Staal seems more of the pure score between him and Geno. That way, the top 2 lines of a playmaker and pure goal scorer.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins