Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

2008 Camp Reports 

Post#1 » by timd1218 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Here are a few links to some camp reports:

http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=32

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburg ... port-day-1

It's great to hear Satan and Crosby are really connecting. Glad to see Staal on the 2nd line. He might have a huge year this year.

From the first day of camp, it seems as if the young guys got better.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: 2008 Camp Reports 

Post#2 » by timd1218 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:07 am

With the camp being finished and the preseason almost finished (1 game against JokerIt), I'd like to discuss lines.

Line 1:
Satan/Crosby/Fedotenko

Satan and Fedotenko should compliment Crosby well. Satan will find the soft spot in the defensive zone for Sid to set him up. Fedotenko will go to the corners and sit in front of the net. These 2 players will give Sid the room he needs.

Line 2:
Staal/Malkin/Sykora

See Line 1. Staal and Sykora will both give Malkin the room he needs. Sykora and Geno already have great chemistry from last season and Staal and Geno played well together their rookie seasons.

Line 3:
Dupuis/Talbot/Cooke

I love this 3rd line. Cookie is a upgrade from Jarkko Ruutu. Talbot seems to score the big goals and has great defensive awareness. Dupuis is quick. He played on the top line last season and he can be counted on the shadow the top line of the other team.

Line 4:
Bissonette/Kennedy/Godard

Paul Bissonnette was not expected to make the team. He played defense most of his life, until moving to LW after last season. I really like what I saw from him in camp. He isn't afraid to drop the gloves and so far, has been a good energy guy. Kennedy will see more ice time than what the 4th liners usually get. Also a great energy guy. Will see time on the PP and PK. Godard will replace Laraque and should do a better job than Laraque. I liked Laraque but he never went after the players who would take cheap shots on Sid and Geno (Hatcher and Smith just to name a few) and Godard will do that.

With Gonchar and Whitney out, this is what I see the D lines being.

D Line 1:
Orpik/Letang

These 2 played together for a little last year. Played well together also. Orpik finally turned into the D-Man he was suppose to at the end of last year and the playoffs. Lets hope he maintains that. From the preseason though, he looks better. Will see #1 PK time. Letang also looks better from last season and he is a reliable 2 way defenseman. Will see #1 PP time with Gonch and Whits being out.

D Line 2:
Eaton/Goligoski

Eaton is a good pairing partner for Goligoski. Eaton should compliment Gogo well. Eaton is a reliable stay at home defenseman who should be able to help Gogo along in his first year in the NHL. He won't be here all year. Once Gonch comes back, he'll be sent to the AHL. This is will be good experience for Gogo, as he will be up for good next year

D Line 3:
Gill/Sydor/Scuderi

Gill and Scuderi should not be on the ice at the same time. They are both too slow. Sydor should dress everyday with either of them. Sydor with speed, should help out them out in the defensive zone

Taffe will be a healthy scratch for the big club and will be the first guy in when Godard isn't needed or an injury occurs.

Janne Pesonen played well in the preseason. He doesn't seem too effected by the smaller rink. He will go to the AHL to work on his game some more. Right now, there isn't a spot for him on the top 2 lines and that is where he should play. He isn't physical enough to play on the 3rd or 4th line. He has the skills and if he can show them, he might be another Martin St. Louis.

Bill Thomas will probably get called up before Pesonen unless someone on the top 2 lines gets hurt.

Fleury will start and Sabourin will be the backup. Sabu looked good during the preseason and I'm not at all worried about the backup. He will do good.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins