ImageImageImageImageImage

Sharks Offseason Rumors (Guerin Likely to Bolt)

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Sharks Offseason Rumors (Guerin Likely to Bolt) 

Post#1 » by FNQ » Tue May 15, 2007 4:49 am

I do have a friend within the Sharks system... not exactly the highest ranking official, but a guy who usually knows whats going on...

- He said the Sharks management is likely resigned to losing Bill Guerin to an inflated FA market. The feeling internally is that he never really meshed well with the core of the team and that paying even market value for him would hurt the team in the long run.

- That said, the rumors of Marleau looking for a new home are unfounded... Marleau was on the line that caught crap for surrendering the game 4 goal to Lang, but most believe it was Guerin... Joe Pavelski's good play is what started this rumor, or the belief that the Sharks may sign a #2 C cheaper than Marleau. Unless we absolutely need the money to get a steal of a deal from someone, Marleau will stay.

- Scott Hannan is likely to be on another team next year. Rivet is likely to stay in his place.

- Ryan Clowe should see a lot more ice time next season, as he really impressed people in the playoffs.
harding156
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#2 » by harding156 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 am

I pretty much assumed Guerin was a lease the day we got him. Considering he didn't do a whole during his short stay I wouldn't be too surprised to see us put little effort into keeping him.

Obviously, I'm not too impressed with Marleau's second round play...much like last year's. I don't want him gone, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to him being moved. It would be unlikely though.

I would like to see Hannan stay in a Sharks jersey, but I agree he's probably gone.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by FNQ » Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 am

Friend says a lot of people around the office are floating Ryan Smyth's name around... doesn't mean much since the people talking about it have no influence on personnel decisions, but worth monitoring....
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by FNQ » Sun May 20, 2007 3:52 am

Latest:

Hannan + Guerin are all but gone... the Sharks are looking to resign Rivet and add another FA on the defensive end. Sharks may surprise some people and not sign a winger this offseason either, believing that they can convert Pavelski to LW if necessary. :dontknow: Consider me not sold on that.

Toskala has been mentioned in preliminary trade offers... my friend (and keep in mind, this is just his opinion, not talking about any concrete here) thinks the ideal situation is dealing him to Columbus in a deal for Rostislav Klesla... I admittedly know almost nothing about this guy... anyone that does?

Most interally believe Ryane Clowe is our next big wing on the top line. Expect to see:

Clowe - Thornton - Cheechoo
Bernier - Marleau - Michalek
Pavelski - Goc - <new RW>
Rismiller - <new C> - Grier

Notably absent from that list: Mark Bell, who is another prime trade canidate this season. If they are unable to deal him, expect to see him as a 3rd line winger to begin next season...
Barkley+GS=Love
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Barkley+GS=Love » Mon May 21, 2007 4:16 am

Is Hannan a free agent? I think the Sharks need some legit help on the blue line, and they definitely need to add some scoring. Also Toskala/Nabby has to go. One of them.
props to trixx || I am Formerly Warriorsrule1
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by FNQ » Mon May 21, 2007 5:57 am

Yessir he is... we're defenitely going to be in the market for a defensive minded blueliner. I'd absolutely love to get Derian Hatcher from Philly for cheap... not the force he once was, but still gives us a mean streak and some experience.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#7 » by UTMCretin » Mon May 21, 2007 6:43 pm

Guerin's a decent player, but he offers very little in the field of loyalty. Which is why its such an ample time for him to be moving on to team #7
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 459

Post#8 » by Swift21 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:50 pm

I wonder if we'll give Sheldon Souray a call this summer.
Swift21
General Manager

Post#9 » by Swift21 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 pm

510Reggae wrote:Latest:

Hannan + Guerin are all but gone... the Sharks are looking to resign Rivet and add another FA on the defensive end. Sharks may surprise some people and not sign a winger this offseason either, believing that they can convert Pavelski to LW if necessary. :dontknow: Consider me not sold on that.

Toskala has been mentioned in preliminary trade offers... my friend (and keep in mind, this is just his opinion, not talking about any concrete here) thinks the ideal situation is dealing him to Columbus in a deal for Rostislav Klesla... I admittedly know almost nothing about this guy... anyone that does?

Most interally believe Ryane Clowe is our next big wing on the top line. Expect to see:

Clowe - Thornton - Cheechoo
Bernier - Marleau - Michalek
Pavelski - Goc - <new RW>
Rismiller - <new C> - Grier

Notably absent from that list: Mark Bell, who is another prime trade canidate this season. If they are unable to deal him, expect to see him as a 3rd line winger to begin next season...

You need a speedster on the top line to complement Thornton and Cheech. Part of the reason the Bell experiment failed.

I don't think Clowe's the answer as our Top line LW.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by FNQ » Wed May 23, 2007 2:05 am

Juice23 wrote:I wonder if we'll give Sheldon Souray a call this summer.

I'd love to, but you know hes going to want that huge payday. Plus I'd much rather get a smashmouth, smart defender than a defender that racks up the points.

As for Clowe... I agree, I'd prefer someone quicker, but I just think Bell was completely overrated to begin with. I think anyone that can skate to the open spots will be rewared by Super Joe more often than not. I wouldnt mind seeing Bernier or Michalek up there either... but Clowe has this essence about him. I really see a star in him for some reason.
Swift21
General Manager

Post#11 » by Swift21 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 am

There is a trade rumor going on right now that Wade Redden for Patrick Marleau is being discussed

That's pretty hard to pass up considering we may lose both Hannan and Rivet.

Return to San Jose Sharks