Post#2 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 am

Interesting hire. Wonder if acquiring a star is still the move
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: The Nets hire Jordi Fernandez to be the next head coach 

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 am

Eatgreenz wrote:Interesting hire. Wonder if acquiring a star is still the move

Wondering this as well, or will they move Bridges?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#4 » by Netaman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:

feels like it could be a tear down hire. guess we'll find out soon enough.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#5 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:09 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

As long as we get a high level haul for Bridges I’m fine with.

Will be bitter sweet, I’m a big Nova fan and loved Mikal coming out in the draft that year, thought his ceiling was supercharged Kerry Kittles iirc.

But I don’t really see the point to stay as is without our own picks, or at least getting a lower level blue chip prospect and a couple picks with a good shot at being high lotto.

Maybe they’ll go with a mid move like Murray if he’s still available, while hopefully keeping Clax here and keeping max cap open for Mitchell or Ingram?

So many ways they can go tbh.

:dontknow:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:42 am

Good for Jordi and good for us. Now, the question is, what kind of team will he have?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 921

Post#7 » by Decipher » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

Don’t really understand the rush

Maybe just me but I would have waited until closer to end of playoffs to see who else might be available

Pros: at least it’s not Doc
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,186

Post#8 » by God Squad » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm

Jordi was part of the Raptor's final 3 choices for their coaching hire. He also did a great job with Team Canada this past summer. I think he's the best option available.

I think you guys did good, but we'll see.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#9 » by Netaman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Wondering this as well, or will they move Bridges?

Will be bitter sweet, I’m a big Nova fan and loved Mikal coming out in the draft that year, thought his ceiling was supercharged Kerry Kittles iirc.

But I don’t really see the point to stay as is without our own picks, or at least getting a lower level blue chip prospect and a couple picks with a good shot at being high lotto.

Maybe they’ll go with a mid move like Murray if he’s still available, while hopefully keeping Clax here and keeping max cap open for Mitchell or Ingram?

let me slightly rephrase, i dont think it's necessarily a tear down, but i do think it signals more of a slow build up. which could still include Bridges. With Clowney, Wilson, CamT they already have 3 regular rotation development projects. Watford may be 4. Whitehead could be 5. I'm sure they will add someone from the 24 draft even though it stinks and they have 0 picks currently (i'd guess they add a 2nd for someone).

the 24 draft by all reports stinks, so realistically a bridges package probably has to feature a quality young prospect on rookie deal coming back or else it's just more uncertain paper for the future.

i could see a world where they are leaning into culture so keeping the twins + clax,
developing all the young guys,
and cashing in the DFS/Schroder types for whatever they can get.

random but i'd personally love to bring bruce brown back. lonnie walker too for that matter.

they just need to somehow some way find a lead guard who can help bring out the best in everyone so they can slot into correct roles and not play out of roles like bridges had to most of this year. that doesnt help development.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,259

Post#10 » by Papi_swav » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:37 pm

yay I guess. Someone new and fresh . I definitely didn't want coach Bud or someone old thats been passed around
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#11 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

let me slightly rephrase, i dont think it's necessarily a tear down, but i do think it signals more of a slow build up. which could still include Bridges. With Clowney, Wilson, CamT they already have 3 regular rotation development projects. Watford may be 4. Whitehead could be 5. I'm sure they will add someone from the 24 draft even though it stinks and they have 0 picks currently (i'd guess they add a 2nd for someone).

the 24 draft by all reports stinks, so realistically a bridges package probably has to feature a quality young prospect on rookie deal coming back or else it's just more uncertain paper for the future.

i could see a world where they are leaning into culture so keeping the twins + clax,
developing all the young guys,
and cashing in the DFS/Schroder types for whatever they can get.

random but i'd personally love to bring bruce brown back. lonnie walker too for that matter.

they just need to somehow some way find a lead guard who can help bring out the best in everyone so they can slot into correct roles and not play out of roles like bridges had to most of this year. that doesnt help development.

If they don’t still deal for Mitchell, if that’s even possible from Cleveland’s perspective, maybe they go for Murray and call it a day, again if he’s even available.

But yeah, they might move forward almost as is, but not really by choice.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#12 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm

From what I've read, he seems like a good hire. Hard to say if he'll be successful or not.

Hopefully this is a sign that Nets are going to be patient and not make a rash trade on the offseason trying to "win now".
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,894

Post#13 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 pm

Hopefully this hire works out. We need to rebuild.

Trade Bridges to Houston for our pick back. Let Claxton walk. Offload Simmons.

Start fresh.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 182

Post#14 » by QMemphis » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm

Grizz fan here coming to observe and ask a few questions. This hire screams rebuild for me. If that is the case what packages are you expecting for Bridges?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#15 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 pm

QMemphis wrote:Grizz fan here coming to observe and ask a few questions. This hire screams rebuild for me. If that is the case what packages are you expecting for Bridges?

They're not rebuilding. They're still targeting making a splash in '25 free agency unless a big star asks out sooner. They're treading water until the summer of 2025. Bridges is not going anywhere.

Fernandez is a definite middle ground hire. He's coming from fairly win now teams in Denver & Sacramento, and he just coached Team Canada to a Bronze. He's the type of coach that should be able to adapt to either a win now or development approach.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 182

Post#16 » by QMemphis » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
QMemphis wrote:Grizz fan here coming to observe and ask a few questions. This hire screams rebuild for me. If that is the case what packages are you expecting for Bridges?

They're not rebuilding. They're still targeting making a splash in '25 free agency unless a big star asks out sooner. They're treading water until the summer of 2025. Bridges is not going anywhere.

Fernandez is a definite middle ground hire. He's coming from fairly win now teams in Denver & Sacramento, and he just coached Team Canada to a Bronze. He's the type of coach that should be able to adapt to either a win now or development approach.

Gotcha so what guys are you targeting and does it make more sense to trade for said targets as opposed to waiting on free agency?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#17 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:21 pm

All the smoke is around Donovan Mitchell. The ideal scenario would be wait until 2025, sign a FA with cap space & then use the picks for another star. The next best option is to use the picks if a star is available this off-season & somehow retain enough cap space to sign a second star (or at least a high end starter) in 2025. The problem with trading for one early, that keeping enough cap space for 2025 seems near impossible (unless Claxton's market value is far below expectation).
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:All the smoke is around Donovan Mitchell. The ideal scenario would be wait until 2025, sign a FA with cap space & then use the picks for another star. The next best option is to use the picks if a star is available this off-season & somehow retain enough cap space to sign a second star (or at least a high end starter) in 2025. The problem with trading for one early, that keeping enough cap space for 2025 seems near impossible (unless Claxton's market value is far below expectation).

Yeah, all this debate, discussion and speculation by all of us on here, and very good chance Marks makes only a couple mid, cap conscious moves, with all eyes on ‘25, while hopefully retaining Clax.

Aside from Mitchell, or someone really unexpected like Ja, or a real out of nowhere wildcard, we should be looking at who is a good player on expiring salary, whose team would like to trade for Cam Johnson, DFS and maybe some 2nds, specifically?

I’m going to continue this discussion in the Off-season thread so this one doesn’t get hijacked.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#19 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 pm

He sounds like a Kenny Atkinson type. Sign me up.

No more pandering. Let's get serious about developing the young dudes and getting some wins.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#20 » by NetsJets » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:23 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q9ZfAf_VfOcaELq9UpCt-A

Return to Brooklyn Nets