ImageImageImageImageImage

Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,468

Re: Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread 

Post#121 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed May 15, 2024 3:49 pm

Netaman wrote:vecenie has clingan to hou in his mock right now, and honestly if given the choice i wouldnt trade clowney for clingan. if that's the worst of it then we will probably end up getting better picks from kd/kyrie than any we gave up for harden.

Yeah, good chance those Phoenix picks are a lot better than our own.

We’ll probably never make them lol, but yes, agreed.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#122 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed May 15, 2024 3:58 pm

Netaman wrote:I think Trae is a solid fit. Don't know how high that price tag is, but I think he fits as well as he can anywhere else with the Nets length/shooting.

Mitchell is a better fit if he's available because he's a better defender, though he's a couple years older.

i'd take either of them though. both help maximize claxton and bridges, not to mention camj, clowney, wilson, etc.

cam t probably isn't a great fit with either of them, but he may be the centerpiece for a follow-up trade.

I think if you go for Trae, you’re admitting you’re ok being a lower seed playoff treadmill team for a few years while you bridge the gap to the juicier Phoenix picks, assuming you keep (some of)them.

And honestly it’s not the worst spot to be if Trae comes cheap asset/draft pick-wise, agree he will maximize Clax and Bridges and maybe even Cam, or you find a way to add another good off ball centric guy to the mix as well. Could always make a surprise run one year. Clowney could even morph into a stud who also fits perfectly with a ball dominant assist wizard like Trae.

And then maybe finally you find a franchise savior through one of those Phoenix picks, or those packaged with Trae land a guy like Luka, SGA, Ja, etc., 2 or 3 years from now.

As for Trae vs. Mitchell, Mitchell to me is better, well because he’s better. Not just because he’s a better defender.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#123 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm

Decipher wrote:Hawks don’t have a pick next year so can’t tank plus their owner wants the revenue Trae generates

Far more likely to move DJM for assets to play around Trae IMO

Agree with you, but sports media outlets are beginning to officially report rumors they will deal Trae as soon as this summer.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#124 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed May 15, 2024 4:04 pm

NYG wrote:Would you trade all of the picks if you could keep Mikal and Claxton while adding Ingram and Mitchell?

Would prefer not to, tbh.

It feels extra Netsy though, so it will probably happen lol.

Those Phoenix picks and swaps are entirely too juicy to not windup with an MVP candidate in his prime if you’re giving up more than 2 of the 4 including the swap.

I’m skeptical even giving up 2 for Mitchell or especially someone like Trae.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#125 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed May 15, 2024 4:07 pm

Netaman wrote:
NYG wrote:What would the Nets give up for Trae?

I think 3 FRP (or equivalents) plus whatever salary filler ATL prefers. I'd be willing to include 1 PHO unprotected first between 27-29.

Simmons could be the salary filler if they want 1 big expiring (doubtful) or it could be DFS (1 year + PO) and Schroder (expiring).

Yep, can see it being one Phoenix pick, worse of the ‘29 picks, Philly pick and/or one of our own during a Houston swap option year as the assets. Maybe Whitehead is included, or even Cam T.

One of DFS/Cam J and Schröder as salary filler, though much preferable would obviously be Simmoms, who maybe ATL would prefer for long term cap savings?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#126 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed May 15, 2024 4:09 pm

Decipher wrote:I would be approaching OKC about Giddey as he’d be perfect next to Cam

He’s a pg being played out of position and is an excellent passer and good rebounder

Like him as a cheap pickup, but OKC will probably overvalue his on paper value and he’s a defensive liability almost anywhere you play him.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,083

Post#127 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 4:42 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:I think Trae is a solid fit. Don't know how high that price tag is, but I think he fits as well as he can anywhere else with the Nets length/shooting.

Mitchell is a better fit if he's available because he's a better defender, though he's a couple years older.

i'd take either of them though. both help maximize claxton and bridges, not to mention camj, clowney, wilson, etc.

cam t probably isn't a great fit with either of them, but he may be the centerpiece for a follow-up trade.

I think if you go for Trae, you’re admitting you’re ok being a lower seed playoff treadmill team for a few years while you bridge the gap to the juicier Phoenix picks, assuming you keep (some of)them.

And honestly it’s not the worst spot to be if Trae comes cheap asset/draft pick-wise, agree he will maximize Clax and Bridges and maybe even Cam, or you find a way to add another good off ball centric guy to the mix as well. Could always make a surprise run one year. Clowney could even morph into a stud who also fits perfectly with a ball dominant assist wizard like Trae.

And then maybe finally you find a franchise savior through one of those Phoenix picks, or those packaged with Trae land a guy like Luka, SGA, Ja, etc., 2 or 3 years from now.

As for Trae vs. Mitchell, Mitchell to me is better, well because he’s better. Not just because he’s a better defender.

I agree, but Trae is a couple years younger. He's gotten farther in the playoffs. Just as clutch. I'd take Mitchell because I think he can play more physically both ends but I think they are same tier.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#128 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 4:52 pm

this is indeed very interesting:

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#129 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 4:56 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
NYG wrote:What would the Nets give up for Trae?

I think 3 FRP (or equivalents) plus whatever salary filler ATL prefers. I'd be willing to include 1 PHO unprotected first between 27-29.

Simmons could be the salary filler if they want 1 big expiring (doubtful) or it could be DFS (1 year + PO) and Schroder (expiring).

Yep, can see it being one Phoenix pick, worse of the ‘29 picks, Philly pick and/or one of our own during a Houston swap option year as the assets. Maybe Whitehead is included, or even Cam T.

One of DFS/Cam J and Schröder as salary filler, though much preferable would obviously be Simmoms, who maybe ATL would prefer for long term cap savings?

If Atlanta sees value in the nets spare pieces like DFS, I think they go that path.

If they just want an expiring and don't care about Nets pieces, I think Nets could find a 3rd team for Simmons.

I think it is very unlikely Simmons is back with Nets next year, but I don't expect him to go directly to CLE or ATL if they were to trade for Mitchell or Trae.

I think the other filler guys (DFS, CamJ, Schro) are just more of a preference thing. Do the Nets value them over whatever they can get on the FA market? Does the other team? Could see any of them going either way so at this point all i'd say is that it's a positive that the nets have several options for filler compared to teams that are maybe more landlocked to needing to include Herro (as an example) which may or may not be of interest.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#130 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 5:54 pm

From wiretap:

"There is an optimism within that organization that they're going to sign him," said Windhorst of the Cavaliers.

"There are a number of teams that have their offers ready," said Windhorst.

"Are the Lakers one?" asked Andraya Carter.

"They're ready, of course," said Windhorst.

"The Knicks?" asked Mike Greenberg.

"I don't think... the Knicks are trying win the Eastern Conference," replied Windhorst. "Certainly across the river there in Brooklyn."
Netaman
Analyst

Post#131 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 6:00 pm

if Mitchell wont extend this feels like a tough deal to beat if Cavs are truly one of the teams that values Cam Thomas.

DFS (better version of Strus) and Schroder (6th man) are quality veterans who can fill rotation minutes and fit their roster.

Cam Thomas still on his rookie deal can try starting next to Garland but if he doesn't fit can be a piece in a follow-up trade.

The Phoenix 29 pick is gold, the other 2 picks can be used to add another player (like Ingram).

Garland / Schroder
CamT
DFS / Strus
Mobley
Allen

if they could use assets from Mitchell trade to get Ingram, that would be a really strong pivot away from Mitchell.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,032

Post#132 » by NetsWorld » Wed May 15, 2024 7:33 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Mitchell won't want to wait that long I think. Miami might just take him.

I think Nets have more to offer; only issue is the rest of the roster. Nets need solid depth. A Mitchell/CT backcourt would be great.

I like Bridges/Clax. I think we just really need consistent offense.

Mitchell/Bridges/Clax is a solid playoff team. We just need to add one more big time star after that.

Giannis? Embiid? Luka? Tatum?

Embiid? No
Giannis? Yes
Luka? Hell Yes
Tatum? Hell Yes.

Doncic and Tatum are two players to watch closely in the PO. The Suns situation is also one to monitor as they will have to enter a rebuild soon and the Nets could potentially pursue Booker; if that happens, it will be interesting to see if KD gets traded with him or somewhere else.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#133 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 16, 2024 12:32 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

I agree, but Trae is a couple years younger. He's gotten farther in the playoffs. Just as clutch. I'd take Mitchell because I think he can play more physically both ends but I think they are same tier.

I do think it’s also very dangerous to deal for Mitchell on a one year deal.

He is not going to extend anywhere, he can get entirely too much extra money waiting for the summer of ‘25.

So I think you really have to understand who has, or can easily have max cap room that off-season.

Because sure Mitchell can say he’s re-signing wherever he’s dealt, and 100% mean it, but what happens if the team he’s dealt to has a disastrous season, especially if it’s a healthy disaster? Especially if the trade that brings him in drains his new team of assets and a lot of flexibility?

Then maybe he questions everything and leaves for what he views as greener pastures?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#134 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 2:00 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I think if you go for Trae, you’re admitting you’re ok being a lower seed playoff treadmill team for a few years while you bridge the gap to the juicier Phoenix picks, assuming you keep (some of)them.

He is not going to extend anywhere, he can get entirely too much extra money waiting for the summer of ‘25.

So I think you really have to understand who has, or can easily have max cap room that off-season.

Because sure Mitchell can say he’s re-signing wherever he’s dealt, and 100% mean it, but what happens if the team he’s dealt to has a disastrous season, especially if it’s a healthy disaster? Especially if the trade that brings him in drains his new team of assets and a lot of flexibility?

Then maybe he questions everything and leaves for what he views as greener pastures?

Yeah I mean idk what goes on in backrooms but you have to be sure he’s extending. What is the benefit to him waiting? Can’t they super max him now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#135 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 16, 2024 1:24 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Yeah I mean idk what goes on in backrooms but you have to be sure he’s extending. What is the benefit to him waiting? Can’t they super max him now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I mistakenly assumed his extension would start at a significantly lower number then opting out and re-signing would.

From what I read last night it’s actually similar if not the same.

Someone more up on the CBA needs to chime in and correct things.

Also need fact checking, but I’m pretty sure he isn’t eligible for a super max no matter what.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#136 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 16, 2024 1:26 pm

Garland would be an interesting get depending on cost, but also feel he is a lot more Mike Conley or Tony Parker than Kevin Johnson or Jalen Brunson.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#137 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Garland would be an interesting get depending on cost, but also feel he is a lot more Mike Conley or Tony Parker than Kevin Johnson or Jalen Brunson.

I say this knowing how stupid it is, I don't care who it is just get a real god damn PG who will be here for 2-5 years please. :lol:

Mitchell, Garland, Trae, even Murray. I don't care who, just get one. No more journeyman.

If you told me you could get the next Conley or Parker id sign in blood right now. Getting the right PG isn't unimportant but the next move is the one that gets them to contender and they can't do the next move without a quality PG that gets them to a .500+ roster first.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,054

Post#138 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu May 16, 2024 6:27 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

If we can't get Mitchell then I would go for Trae. Absolutely.

I think Trae/Bridges/Claxton and good coaching can get to the playoffs. Maybe even the 2nd round with some luck.

And I'd rather just watch a team with a chance rather than watch us suck with no picks.

I also think people have too much faith in the Phoenix picks. I'm not entire sure Phoenix is going to suck in 27 and 29. We will see buth its still an owner with unlimited money and they have Devin Booker.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#139 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 16, 2024 7:29 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

If we can't get Mitchell then I would go for Trae. Absolutely.

I think Trae/Bridges/Claxton and good coaching can get to the playoffs. Maybe even the 2nd round with some luck.

And I'd rather just watch a team with a chance rather than watch us suck with no picks.

I also think people have too much faith in the Phoenix picks. I'm not entire sure Phoenix is going to suck in 27 and 29. We will see buth its still an owner with unlimited money and they have Devin Booker.

I think you can definitely get to the second round multiple times. Like not a lock to do that most years, but good enough to put up some big win totals RS when healthy and wind up with home court first round 2 or 3 times out of five.

And the roster would be young enough.

Keep the cap flexibility to sign an Ingram next summer, or trade for him at the deadline without giving up any high level assets.

Trae
Bridges
Ingram
Clowney
Clax

With a good bench?

Could make a surprise fake but enjoyable run one year when a couple of the top teams inevitably lose a top guy to injury for the playoffs.

And I do think those Phoenix picks are liquid gold, their cap and flexibility and draft pick situations are a complete abortion.

So you bridge that gap till a couple of them land high lotto and one of those becomes a franchise cornerstone kid.

Plus everyone is young enough to be there for that player’s rise.

I’m with you, the above team without the drafted stud is not a contender, but I’m sick of watching a bad product, without our own picks, or false hopes of flakey has-beens.
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 265

Post#140 » by Dangun » Thu May 16, 2024 7:58 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Dangun wrote:What do we say about getting ant simons to run the point going forward ? Where does that leave thomas though? Can that backcourt work...

If you are going to go forward with Cam, I don’t think another small, ball dominant, suspect defender at the other guard is the right call.

You need a Marcus Smart type.

Dam I want simons here but want Thomas to still start.. one of them would have to go to the bench.. yea not gonna work cause non of ‘em will wanna be the 6th man

Return to Brooklyn Nets