Re: Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread 

Post#141 » by Eatgreenz » Thu May 16, 2024 10:28 pm

Trae is interesting to with Knicks rivalry those game would be epic
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,472

Post#142 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 18, 2024 11:25 pm

Let’s assume Mitchell is off the table, he re-signs with Cleveland.

Let’s then assume they deal Garland.

Let’s also assume the Hawks decide to keep Murray and send Trae packing.

Then, let’s assume there’s a mystery third team willing to send their guy for our asset package because they want to blow it up, and both Atlanta and Cleveland covet said player, but we do not.

Let’s say the outgoing package for either is the following:

Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
Dennis Schröder or DFS
Dariq Whitehead
‘27 Phoenix 1st
‘27 Sixers 1st
Second best of ‘29 Pho/Dal/BK 1st

Are we taking Trae or Garland?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,085

Post#143 » by Netaman » Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Let’s assume Mitchell is off the table, he re-signs with Cleveland.

Then, let’s assume there’s a mystery third team willing to send their guy for our asset package because they want to blow it up, and both Atlanta and Cleveland covet said player, but we do not.

Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
Dennis Schröder or DFS
Dariq Whitehead
‘27 Phoenix 1st
‘27 Sixers 1st

great question. im compelled to answer "either", but if you told me i had to choose i think id choose trae. his defense improved last year and as a scorer i have no questions, i think he is a big game player. he's a less efficient kyrie but similar ability.

Cstarski
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#144 » by Cstarski » Sun May 19, 2024 11:17 pm

I understand the rationale for Mitchell, I still believe we are still running the same ole playbook that will yield the same results… seeing in this thread 3 PHX picks for Mitchel?!?! Oh yeah, some war chest we will have for a number 1 post that move :lol:

True number 1’s that could request a trade in next 3 years? Looking at current rosters + asset flexibility most likely is Giannis… but then again what differentiates our (potential) package if we unload a boat load of assets for Mitchel? (Please don’t quote 11 picks if you can’t understand all picks aren’t created equal)

Trae and Garland? Will cost less and are lesser needle movers compared to Mitchel… but then the question is did we really forgo the potential of our picks back to be just incrementally better?

Would still love to call up HTX and test the waters to see what we could do there, unfortunately our leverage will decrease if we lose on Mitchel as the value of the picks probably increase on him staying/going elsewhere.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#145 » by Netaman » Mon May 20, 2024 4:05 am

Minnesota knocking out the Nuggets on the road in game 7 seems like a moment to take a pause and think about how that starting lineup was constructed:

1. KAT 1st overall 2015 - has probably lived up to his expectations but not exceeded. 4x all star. now 29 years old.
2. McDaniels 28th overall 2020 - nice 3&D role player, nothing special.
3. ANT 1st overall 2020 - obviously a total stud.
4. Gobert trade summer 2022 - trade looked weird with KAT, not looking so weird anymore though. 31 years old.
5. Conley trade deadline 2023 - if we had a nickel for every salary dump trade that was proposed with him from his last couple years in Utah. 36 years old.
6. Bonus slot for 6moy Naz Reid - undrafted in 2019. this his 5th year, was his first year averaging more than 20 mpg.

Learnings:

- If you get the 1st overall pick, get those picks right
- still need to find young guys outside the premium picks and develop them
- also still need to add some veterans who know how to win, if you get the right guys who fit together it's worth trading FRPs

Obviously Ant is the engine and they'd be nowhere without that, but the defense they assembled around him with mostly veterans/non-premium picks they developed is impressive.

Back to Nets - they already having the bulk of front court 3&D's, also a history of developing quality players from all over the draft, i see the obvious move as to try to find the right engine to go next to CamT. or the right engine to trade him for. Which is I suppose why Mitchell, Trae, Garland each have my attention even though none on their own make this a championship roster. That's ok. Pick the right players and go 1 step at a time.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#146 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 20, 2024 12:26 pm

Idk if this is going to be an exciting off-season, or a properly boring one.

But they can’t stay status quo imho. Even if they forego burning assets for a star, by choice or not, they need to make a sneaky good low asset cost move for a needle moving vet, or younger guy buried on their team’s roster, just waiting to become a fringe All Star level player.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#147 » by Netaman » Mon May 20, 2024 2:28 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Idk if this is going to be an exciting off-season, or a properly boring one.

But they can’t stay status quo imho. Even if they forego burning assets for a star, by choice or not, they need to make a sneaky good low asset cost move for a needle moving vet, or younger guy buried on their team’s roster, just waiting to become a fringe All Star level player.

it is last year all over again - except ben10 proved once again that he can't be counted on for a season, no loss for any kind of extension going forward. trying to rehab him last year and let him start was fine, heck for the first month it looked great, but off another surgery it can't happen again.

if they can be the team that buys low on Garland or even Herro because Mitchell ends up elsewhere, I'm good with that.

same with Murray if Atlanta opts to keep Trae.

to your point, those are fringe all star level players that are still mid-20's, and possibly available without needing to pay huge premiums in draft comp.

if Houston pursues a younger PG like Garland, i'd even take back FVV because even though he is older he's a winner like Conley.

id also separately love to somehow bring back bruce brown as 6th man somehow.

point being there are a lot of names floating out there, sitting on their hands and doing nothing like last year is a non-option unless they want to risk getting to the trade deadline and being forced to sell guys off at less value than they have today (mainly Bridges) while also having a presumably expensive recently resigned Claxton on the books.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,054

Post#148 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon May 20, 2024 5:31 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Let’s assume Mitchell is off the table, he re-signs with Cleveland.

Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
Dennis Schröder or DFS
Dariq Whitehead
‘27 Phoenix 1st
‘27 Sixers 1st

Trae for sure. Garland just can't be the #1 option on a good team. He doesn't have any star power either.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#149 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon May 20, 2024 5:32 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Idk if this is going to be an exciting off-season, or a properly boring one.

I agree.

We either need to trade for Mitchell/Trae or trade Bridges for our picks back.

This sorry ass team can't come back for a 2nd act.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#150 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 23, 2024 12:39 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

I agree.

We either need to trade for Mitchell/Trae or trade Bridges for our picks back.

This sorry ass team can't come back for a 2nd act.

I think Houston is going to press to make a move now with their top 3 jump. They already wanted to. They’re going to aim a little higher than Bridges and also understand the Nets picks aren’t likely to be super valuable as keepers or trade chips past the ‘25 swap.

Bridges will probably be a fallback move for them and they won’t want to offer all the picks back.

Plus we probably will stand firm on the keeping Bridges hill.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#151 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 23, 2024 12:45 pm

Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
DFS

For

Brandon Ingram

Who says no?
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#152 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu May 23, 2024 2:43 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
DFS

For

Brandon Ingram

Who says no?

For that price I would do it.

But I think New Orleans can do better for sure.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#153 » by Netaman » Thu May 23, 2024 5:00 pm

NBA offseasons are the best. Can't believe Bickerstaff and Mike Brown may both be on the coaching market. I'm fine with Jordi, but damn. Sounds like Bickerstaff firing may be a clue that Mitchell is going to extend in CLE.

Read on Twitter

some potentially prophetic nuggets from Shams last week when CLE was eliminated (looks like we may be hitting Garland szn):

In trying to do everything they can to persuade Mitchell to accept a four-year, $208.5 million contract extension this summer, the Cavs need their star player to feel comfortable with the long-term direction of the franchise, which includes the coach. Multiple league sources have said, for months, that Mitchell did not have great confidence in Bickerstaff, and he was not alone. Several players questioned Bickerstaff’s strategies, game management, practice habits and accountability measures, privately and publicly, throughout the season.

There are also questions of fit on the roster to work through, such as whether Allen and Mobley, two non-shooting bigs, can co-exist in the same starting unit, and whether Garland can thrive playing alongside Mitchell as two smaller guards who need the ball.

Furthermore, rival executives believe the Cavs will have to seriously evaluate the fit of Mitchell and Garland and ultimately may have to choose one or the other. Should Mitchell decide to stay long term, sources briefed on the matter say Garland’s representation, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul, would have a conversation with Cavs officials on potentially finding a new home for the one-time All-Star.

After an All-Star campaign in 2021-22 in which he averaged 21.7 points, 8.6 assists and 3.3 rebounds, Garland’s minutes, field goal and 3-point attempts and usage percentage have all dropped upon the arrival of Mitchell.

I'm personally fine with a Garland or Trae pivot. They are each younger than Mitchell and already under contract. Mitchell the better player, but any of them are a leap in the right direction. This roster needs an all star PG.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5497268/2024/05/15/cavaliers-donovan-mitchell-darius-garland-jb-bickerstaff-future/
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#154 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 23, 2024 5:35 pm

I don’t know how to feel about Garland. Yes he’s definitely a step in the right direction, but not sure how he fairs going forward in a lead role, especially in the playoffs. Would welcome him at the right cost, but what is that cost?

Does the Cams and Schröder or DFS, with a pick or two(only one Phoenix pick)get it done?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#155 » by Netaman » Thu May 23, 2024 8:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I don’t know how to feel about Garland. Yes he’s definitely a step in the right direction, but not sure how he fairs going forward in a lead role, especially in the playoffs. Would welcome him at the right cost, but what is that cost?

Does the Cams and Schröder or DFS, with a pick or two(only one Phoenix pick)get it done?

the problem with Garland is the bidding possibly gets wider since he's farther from FA, and they also probably prefer to send him farther away.

would NO have interest in him as part of a return for Ingram?

LAL would probably have interest, would they give up Reaves + whatever picks they have?

the Nets have the ammo to win if it's more of a futures trade, but if CLE prioritizes and can get Ingram, then they probably can't.

Trae may be the best fit for Nets if Mitchell extends.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#156 » by Netaman » Thu May 23, 2024 8:12 pm

TLDR we need to hope Shams is wrong and Mitchell asks out.

Marks says Heat can't put together a package without moving Butler. Knicks can put together packages but only if Harenstein/OG take less in FA (or offload other players to 3rd teams).

Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#157 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 23, 2024 9:39 pm

Netaman wrote:TLDR we need to hope Shams is wrong and Mitchell asks out.

Marks says Heat can't put together a package without moving Butler. Knicks can put together packages but only if Harenstein/OG take less in FA (or offload other players to 3rd teams).

Read on Twitter

I don’t have ESPN+ damn it. :lol:
Netaman
Analyst

Post#158 » by Netaman » Thu May 23, 2024 11:09 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Read on Twitter

gotta have some kids so you can get that disney+ bundle.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#159 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 23, 2024 11:19 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Read on Twitter

gotta have some kids so you can get that disney+ bundle.

Lol thank you.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#160 » by Netaman » Thu May 23, 2024 11:30 pm

Last year Lillard visited Barclays too...we didnt go for him but he did have us on the list...

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets